Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed, please, with post 1939 life and death of Alice M R Dixon (nee Jamart)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed, please, with post 1939 life and death of Alice M R Dixon (nee Jamart)

Alice was born in Belgium in1894, daughter of Victor Jamart and his wife Marie Rosalie.
    In July 1919 she married my relly, James Hugh Reginald Dixon, in Charleroi, Belgium. The marriage document recorded James was a private and served in the Royal Army Medical Corps. The whole record has a diagonal zig-zag line through it, so I'm unsure of his service number. It's 52??10 (the middle numbers could be 82) but that hasn't helped me to find any military record for him. Both groom and bride were recorded as Professor of Music.
    James was born at Flaxton, Yorkshire, in 1887 and in 1909 he took up the position of organist at St Peter's RC church in Lancaster, which later became Lancaster RC cathedral. Apart from a break to serve in the army in WW1, James remained in post until his retirement in 1971.
    In 1921 both James & Alice were recorded together in Lancaster - James was a professor of music, teacher and organist, whilst Alice performed home duties.
    In 1939 they were recorded in different establishments: James resided in Lancaster (with a housekeeper) married, a musician, whilst whom I THINK was Alice, was in Shepton Mallet, recorded as a school mistress. Looks like the establishment could have been a boarding school, in which case the whole lot could have been evacuated. This Alice is recorded as SINGLE.

I don't know whether or not there was a marital split for my relly. I've come across various references to his life and career, but none of them refer to a wife. I can find nothing for Alice Marie R Jamart apart from the marriage document and the 1921 census record.

James Dixon was a distant relative, but it would be nice to tie up this loose end, if anyone can help.
    Thanks for reading.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

This looks like her, the birth date tallies with Alice on the 1939
    Alice Marie Dixon
    2 Jul 1894
    Oct 1981[Nov 1981][Dec 1981]
    Oct-Nov-Dec
    Barnstaple
    Devon

Comment

Thank you Jill. Seems a very good prospect - wonder what took her to Devon?? As far as I know, no children from the marriage and no Jamart relatives in the UK.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet, did you see there is a will for her, death date 25 Dec 1981, Will dated 1982.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
          Janet, did you see there is a will for her, death date 25 Dec 1981, Will dated 1982.
          Thanks for that, Lin. I'd got so fixated on the interesting career and life of her husband that I'd forgotten to look! Better go and deal with that now
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I love wills, they often tell you a lot.
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Working...
            X