Betty Coverly, wife of Charles Coverly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betty Coverly, wife of Charles Coverly

Looking for Betty's marriage to Charles, and her burial. Also, if Charles happened to leave a will, it would be of interest, too.

Betty & Charles Coverly were parents of two (known) children:
    Charles James Coverly : 24 Jun 1763 • St Mary Aldermanbury, London

​and

Edward Coverly 17 Feb 1772 • St Mary Aldermanbury, London (buried 23 Apr 1777, same parish)

​I cannot find a marriage for her and Charles, nor a burial for her.

Please note: son Charles James also had a wife named Betty. Their graves are noted on FindAGrave (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/.../betty-coverly)

I don't think that FamilySearch (nor Ancestry) have the transcriptions of St Mary Aldermanbury's marriages? Does anyone know of a source?

Son Charles James Coverly did quite well, helped the Weaver's Company, and left a large estate. His will is very difficult to read (poor copy, damaged original).

BTW - I've wondered if the monument has created confusion. It seems to indicate that Charles James second wife was Sarah. Hmm. He married Sarah in 1786, which is well before the date indicated before Betty's death (1822). And yet the info provided on the page says Betty was age 60, which would not match with CJC's mother.

Hmmph.

ETA: I skimmed the will of the son, Charles James Coverly, dated 1835. The Ancestry copy is legible (unlike the one I obtained elsewhere). It refers to widow Sarah, to receive 100 pounds monthly (legacy). Very confusing!
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 30-07-23, 20:28.

Comment

Tied to the grave marker for Sarah Coverly

COVERLEY, SARAH
      GRO Reference: 1860 M Quarter in GREENWICH Volume 01D Page 435

​Maybe newspaper look ups for all involved? I found a death notice for CJC/1835, but it was a magazine, not newspaper.

Comment

Can’t find any marriage on FMP either in that parish. Nearest that came up using variants was this one - could they have moved into London? It’s a very long shot though…

First name(s) Charles
        Last name Cover
        Marriage year 1761
        Marriage date 24 Mar 1761
        Marriage place Iping
        County Sussex
        Country England
        Spouse's first name(s) Eliz.
        Spouse's last name Knight
        Record set Sussex Marriages
        Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
        Subcategory Parish Marriages
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 30-07-23, 21:01.

Comment

So tempting...but I think that couple had a child later:
          Charles Cover
          Male
          Charles Cover
          Elizh
          Christening
          29 Nov 1767
          Iping, Sussex, England
          ​I'm really not sure that the marriages in St Mary Aldermanbury in my time frame have been transcribed - makes me wonder if they are mostly illegible

So, if the graver marker is correct, CJC (the son) married a woman named Betty, too, then we don't have a burial for CJC's mother (also Betty). Right?
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 30-07-23, 23:23.

Comment

This one doesn't check out either
            Charles Maverly
            Male
            Marriage
            4 Jun 1759
            St Andrew, Holborn, City of London, England
            Betty Middleton

Coverly often appears as Caverly, so I was hoping, but there are enough other records to make this not-my-man.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              BTW - I've wondered if the monument has created confusion. It seems to indicate that Charles James second wife was Sarah. Hmm. He married Sarah in 1786, which is well before the date indicated before Betty's death (1822). And yet the info provided on the page says Betty was age 60, which would not match with CJC's mother.

Hmmph.

ETA: I skimmed the will of the son, Charles James Coverly, dated 1835. The Ancestry copy is legible (unlike the one I obtained elsewhere). It refers to widow Sarah, to receive 100 pounds monthly (legacy). Very confusing!
              Charles James Coverly, widower, married Sarah Wright at St Mary's, Whitechapel on 28 Aug 1822.

His former wife was also called Sarah (not Betty) according to the newspapers, eg:

The News (London) 14 April 1822
              Early on Sunday morning, found dead by his side, Sarah, the wife of Charles James Coverly Esq., of Bengal House, Woodford.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post

Charles James Coverly,
                His former wife was also called Sarah (not Betty)
                Right. Reading the FindAGrave pages for the three (CJC b.1763, and his two wives) - the page for "Betty" doesn't seem to include her name on any epitaph, just that she was "beloved and amiable Wife of C.J Coverly Esqr​". I wonder if memorial-page-creator found the marriage of CJC's mother (Betty) to Charles Coverly (CJC's father) and leapt to the conclusion that that was CJC's first wife?

Comment

Which still leaves me with the question -
                  Who is Betty who married Charles Coverly probably around 1761 (first known child born 1763)?

When did Betty die/when was she buried? I've wondered too if she's buried in the same cemetery as CJC, and that's how CJC's page is linked to "Betty".

Comment

OK, I think this is Betty, who (I think) was age 81, and no gender was specified on the record
                    Betty Coverley
                    Male
                    Burial
                    Abt 1808
                    5 Sep 1808
                    St Mary Aldermanbury, City of London, London, England
                    https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui...=successSource

81 would mean that she was born ~1727, aand her husband was born 1734
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 31-07-23, 15:30.

Comment

Is Charles Sr's burial the one on 17 Mar 1808 at St Leonard, Shoreditch, aged 73 & of St Luke's? It seems odd that they're buried in different places since they died only months apart.

Charles was declared bankrupt in 1782, which could be why there's no will.

Comment

There was also at least one daughter, transcribed on Ancestry as Couerley:

Baptism at St Mary Aldermanbury:
                        30 Sep 1769, Sophey d/o Charles and Bettey Coverley, born Sep 18th

Comment

Is Charles Sr's burial the one on 17 Mar 1808 at St Leonard, Shoreditch, aged 73 & of St Luke's? It seems odd that they're buried in different places since they died only months apart.

Quoting from his nephew's bible, which starts out referring to his father's (Charles' brother) family
                          The Family Vault is in Shoreditch Church Yard on the right...
                          The Stone is almost decayed - when I saw it in the Year 1794 I did make the Names of
                          Robert Coverly [[the parents of Charles (1734]]
                          Jane his wife
                          Robert their son...
                          ...is all I can make out from the Stone when Old Charles Coverly was buried his son put a new Stone...

So, I think Charles (1734) was planted in Shoreditch by his family in 1808. Maybe there wasn't room for Betty. Or, like I've said, I think the Betty that is referred to on FindAGrave is actually CJC's mother Betty, and the Betty memorial page actually represents two people's graves - mother Betty and 1st wife Sarah. Could he have moved her grave some years later? Betty only died some 6 months after Charles. Alternatively, maybe she's not even at the Chingford cemetery, and FindAGrave is just a red herring.

CJC had buckets. He built an almshouse for the Weavers Co, and he was distributing oodles in his will to various people and causes, apparently he died without direct descendants. And there are a couple of side branches that named kids after him.
                          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 31-07-23, 19:19.

Comment

There was also at least one daughter, transcribed on Ancestry as Couerley:

Baptism at St Mary Aldermanbury:
                            30 Sep 1769, Sophey d/o Charles and Bettey Coverley, born Sep 18th
                            Thanks for that! Other trees have her, but I didn't find the record

Comment

Interestingly, from Chingford,
                              Shoreditch (St Leonard) - 7.56mi
                              St Mary Aldermanbury - 8.36mi

maps.familysearch.org is useful for those of us who are ignorant of the local geography.

Comment

Not what you were looking for, but for interest if nothing else, London Lives has an entry (with image) of "A List of the Constable for ye ward of Cripplegate For the Year 1773​" which includes Chars Coverley (sic).

I find the Familysearch maps quite confusing, but good old Google tells me that St Giles, Cripplegate and St Mary Aldermanbury are only 0.2miles - or a 2-minute walk - apart, so it must be 'your' Charles.

It also has a document from October(?) 1768 headed "Middlesex Sessions: Sessions Papers - Justices' Working Documents" as follows:

Prisoners Name: Charles Coverly
                                When Disch[arge]d: May 25th
                                No. 5
                                £ S D: - - 5

The explanations page isn't very clear, but the document type seems to be Calendars of Recognizances and Indictments, which contain the names of all the defendants bound over to attend or indicted at a specific sessions. It isn't clear whether Charles was a defendant, a surety, or possibly even a witness. Surety is perhaps more likely, but I'm just guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

So, I think Charles (1734) was planted in Shoreditch by his family in 1808. Maybe there wasn't room for Betty. Or, like I've said, I think the Betty that is referred to on FindAGrave is actually CJC's mother Betty, and the Betty memorial page actually represents two people's graves - mother Betty and 1st wife Sarah. Could he have moved her grave some years later? Betty only died some 6 months after Charles. Alternatively, maybe she's not even at the Chingford cemetery, and FindAGrave is just a red herring.
                                  Based on the inscription, I'd say the only people there are Charles James (died 1835) his first wife, Sarah (died 1822) and his second wife - also Sarah - (died 1860), and whoever has created the FindaGrave page has got it wrong (unfortunately the notes on FindAGrave are no more trustworthy than the trees on Ancestry).

Sarah No.1 was the first to die and was the first person memorialised, but merely as 'the wife of'". It can't be his mother Betty, as the details match up with the 1822 newspaper report I posted at # 7, naming the deceased as his wife, Sarah.
                                  This sepulchral edifice is erected
                                  as the last obsequies to the beloved and amiable
                                  Wife of C.J Coverly Esqr
                                  of Bengal House, Woodford, Essex
                                  Who died suddenly by the side of
                                  her affectionate Husband
                                  He was the first to discover the vital spark
                                  for ever gone, on the morning of the
                                  7th of April 1822
                                  Aged 60​

Comment

teasie Yes, I think you're right.

Could you give the source for this:
                                    The smaller details that aren't captured in BMD and census records are much more difficult to find, but fills out the impression of the person. Thank you for all your searches.

I wonder too, if Charles' financial difficulties made the marriage between him and Betty strained.

I haven't been able to find Sophey in subsequent records. The Sophia Coverly who died (uh, 180?) is probably the daughter of one of the other side branches.

Comment

I think it was probably from here:

Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                        OK, good to have the info - and the website.

Here's all you never wanted to know about bankruptcy in ~18th century UK

Skip to page 18.

Comment

Working...
                                        X