Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Andrew & Jessie Campbell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Andrew & Jessie Campbell?

Hi, hoping someone may be able to help me narrow down what happened to Andrew Campbell and his wife Jessie. My DNA has their Granddaughter as a high match, coming up as half 1st cousin, 1x removed so I'm building a tree to narrow things down and either confirm or deny the match and I've got Andrew born in 1909 Bellshill, Lanarkshire, Scotland and his wife Jessie Lynn/Lynne/Linn in 1912 Bellshill.

They got married in 1931 and had 5 children born in Bellshill. One of their daughters is next found in Oldham, Manchester in 1964 getting married, having a daughter the next year and dying in 1994.

Family speculation is that Great Grandfather could have been a man named Sankie Campbell. I've got no other Campbells in my tree but 5 matches all seem to match each other, one I've been able to see is a cousin 1x removed to the other DNA match but the others I haven't been able to connect yet.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

There is a CAMPBELL or LYNN, Jessie died young. You can purchase her death certificate for immediate viewing on ScotlandsPeople.
    CAMPBELL JESSIE 27 F 1940 655 / 3 / 78 SHOTTS (WESTERN DISTRICT)
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 25-07-23, 22:40.

Comment

Thanks GallowayLass that could explain if he is the father. If his wife died, I've got him born 29th Jan 1909 so hopefully I'll find something further for him with that one.

Comment

I have opened Jessie and the parents also match hers, the odd location was off putting but if this means they are moving around then it helps to hopefully narrow things. I know my Great Gran had been in Springburn for the birth of baby No1 (not sure if they are full siblings unless one of his Grandchildren do a DNA) in 1939 and the next time she pops up is in Oldham for Grandads birth.

If my maths is correct Aug 1940 to May 1941 is 9 months? It's another % closer to possibly being him, I just need to figure out his timeline after Jessie's death.

Comment

What was the location?

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
            What was the location?
            The Shotts one you had mentioned, the kids were all Bellshill, Douglas Park Row. Completely out of the way of where I had been looking. I've been trying to do the DNA Leeds method, I hope I'm doing that right but I can see other distant connections as well as the 5 closer ones. And not one family tree 😭

Comment

Sorry. I meant the address at which she passed away. Was there also another address with the abbreviation Us. Res. written next to it? That would tell you if she passed at home or not. What did her husband do for a living at the time? pm me if you don’t want to post it.
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-07-23, 21:50.

Comment

She actually died in a Hospital, and he's a general labourer. I cannot make out the hospital so I've cropped that bit for an image. I hope that's ok?

Attached Files

Comment

"County hospital cleland, usual residence: 38 russell st, mossend"

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    "County hospital cleland, usual residence: 38 russell st, mossend"
                    agreed. The Old Cleland hospital was demolished in 2008 and replaced with a new hospital. It was across town from Bellshill.
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 27-07-23, 06:48.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Phew, thank goodness! I had a worrying feeling that it might be another hospital that was reg. under Shotts. It was called Hartwoodhill and then just Hartwood. It was a mental asylum. OH’s maternal gran and one of her sisters were nurses there. It was a grim place.

Comment

Look at this record next. Unfortunately at present, 1940 is the latest online valuation roll at SP. Pick the one with Andrew and more than likely you will also see who the proprietor was unless you are very unlucky and the entries are on following pages.
                        If the proprietor is a company or a factor of theirs etc. it could be a clue as who Andrew laboured for. If it is then opens up the possibility of company records to find out how long he was their employee.
                        SURNAME
                        CAMPBELL
                        FORENAME
                        ANDREW
                        TITLE STATUS
                        TENANT
                        PLACE
                        HOUSE 38 RUSSELL STREET MOSSEND
                        PARISH
                        BOTHWELL
                        YEAR
                        REFERENCE NUMBER
                        VR010700679-
                        SURNAME FORENAME TITLE STATUS
                        PROPRIETOR
                        PLACE
                        HOUSE 38 RUSSELL STREET MOSSEND
                        PARISH
                        BOTHWELL
                        YEAR
                        REFERENCE NUMBER
                        VR010700679-

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at that one tomorrow as I used the last credits looking at Jessie's birth. Incidentally I'm on Mum's computer right now working on the Leeds Method and there's one in the distant matches 4th – 6th Cousin | Paternal side < 1% shared DNA: 46 cM across 4 segments. I have been working on a Lennon Campbell connection tree to see matches with a better eye and both my version of the tree and the DNA's have a William Campbell there, this is the Uncle of Andrew and he went off to America. Looking more and more likely this is my guy isn't it? ​

Comment

So I opened the record and it only shows Andrew living there, do these things not have children or spouses etc?

I've gone back to Cecilia's 1945 marriage to see where she's living at the time, the ink isn't as clear to see but I think I've made out 15 Kirkpatrick Street, Google maps has a version of the street near a Railway Station which matches her job of Railway Porter so must be the right one. Anyway, I've looked at the street in 1940 to see who was living there, there's 15 results. None are Lennon, none are a Cecilia but there's a Hugh Campbell. I don't see a Hugh as a connection to the Campbell's so far on the tree I've done so it could be a coincidence.

I've now gone back to the marriage of Cecilia's sister, Sarah as I know she was with her in 1939 as that's when her first son, Edward was born. Sarah's marriage states 32 Stewart Street, MOSSEND! I can see Stewart Street on Google maps with Russell Street behind it. Hi neighbour??

Comment

Who was the proprietor of the house? Could you screenshot the page then I can tell you what’s where?
                              It’s a rateable valuation roll so no, it’s not like a census. It records the property owner and how much the property’s rates were plus any tenant and sub-tenant in the property who paid a portion of the rates along with his rent. The people are those in whose name the rental agreement was drawn up so for working class tenants that’s usually the husband if alive; the widow if she is living alone and Dan still afford the rent; the eldest son in employment who would likely have his parent(s) living with him and possibly siblings too; a single person in employment could be either man or woman but quite often they would be sharing with siblings of the same or possibly mixed sexes, it would depend on how decent a wage was coming in to afford enough rooms for privacy.

Comment

I've looked at Russell Street as a whole and didn't see any matching Surnames from my side but did spot a Lynn. The same for Stewart Street as well so Sarah & her husband must have moved by then. Andrew is at the bottom of the screenshot

Attached Files

Comment

Ach, darn it! The proprietor is the local authority. It’s a council house. The only thing I can suggest is following the printed valuation rolls and the electoral registers to the point at which he disappears from that address but for that it would be a visit to the local archives..
                                  As war broke out in 1939, Andrew would have been 30 and normally would have been conscripted (upper age limit was 41) but he must have been at home 1940 as he was presumably the informant of Jessie’s death. He may have been exempted on the grounds that he had a sickly wife and five young children to care for. I’m not really that up on military history, maybe someone with more knowledge of the call up system of the time could help answer that.
                                  If he had family able to bring the children up in his absence, he could well have joined up which would give another avenue of research.

Comment

I have just found a tree on ancestry (Skarratt Family Tree) which has a death fact for Andrew. It is 1954 Glasgow. No source though and most annoyingly no exact match entry on SP however there is this one registered in 1955 which is perfectly possible for a death in late December 1954. The age at death is right for someone born in 1909. He could well have died in Glasgow (perhaps a hospital) but the registration took place where he lived. Carluke is about 12 miles south east of Mossend. I think it’s worth a punt. No mother’s maiden name is given in the index (same with Jessie’s death entry as they have not yet updated the index for that time period. They will get caught up eventually.
                                    CAMPBELL ANDREW 46 M 1955 629 / 486 CARLUKE
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-07-23, 20:49.

Comment

I saw that one but because I couldn't find the death & didn't see any form of proof I took it with a pinch of salt. Following through the Campbell's I'm seeing Alexander's but they are 1800's.

I'll take a look now - It's him. Widower of Jessie Lynn. 19th Oct 1955 (same day, diff year as Cecilia) and brother John as the informant, I wondered why it wasn't any of his children but well I've been through the same accident and could understand on that aspect.

I thought the war myself but with children and no one to care for them as far as I'm aware of he may have been exempt from it.

I now need to figure out if he really is Great Grandfather and how he's connected to these other matches I have. Evidence is pointing towards it though doesn't it?

Attached Files

Comment

Got there in the end! 👍 Hope the DNA part solves the mystery of your connection.

Comment

Working...
                                        X