Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What became of this family? All suggestions welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What became of this family? All suggestions welcome!

Michael McDonough, son of Michael & Julia, was born in Blyth, Northumberland 20 April 1866 and bp in the local RC church on 29 April 1866. He was recorded in the family home in Folly Road, Blyth, in 1871 & 1881 - no occupation was given, but I suspect that Michael jnr was employed in the coal industry (his elder brother Thomas was a miner.) Michael senior was a labourer.

I've very recently found a marriage transcription, which I'm pretty sure is for my man - the actual church is not named, but the marriage took place at Blyth on 17 April 1886. The groom was Michael McDonough, son of Michael, aged 20 and single. The bride was Mary Lizzie Martin, daughter of Charles Martin, aged 19 and single.
    I've found 2 McDonough/Martin births on the GRO index (both in the Tynemouth Reg Dist, which includes Blyth) - Matthew Q1 1887 and Catherine Q3 1888. Matthew was bp at the local RC church, but was buried the following year. I didn't spot a bp for Catherine, however.

I can't discover any further trace of Michael, Mary or baby Catherine in subsequent census returns, nor can I find any definitive deaths.

There was a whole tribe of McDonough families in the area, who possibly all stem for a common Co Galway root, many of them sharing the same forenames. Unfortunately they couldn't be relied on to correctly calculate their ages , nor to spell their surname accurately - McDonna, Donagh, Donnick/Donack, McDonald are some of the more common variations.

I've been trying to unpick them for the last 35+years. I've had Michael's 1881 record for all that time, then 1871 census came a bit later, and finally I procured the image of his bp entry about 15 years ago. The marriage transcript is a new discovery and both age of groom and name of the father look promising. I'm not sure I've got another 15 years left in me - another 35 years? definitely not!
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I can't add anything massively helpful, but if Matthew was a sickly child and not expected to live then that might be why he was bapt, if Catherine was healthy then maybe they just registered the birth? I'm off to bed shortly as I have to be up at 5am. I will have a look tomorrow though and see if I can help.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for looking, Julie
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

there is a death of a Catherine Donough
        Catherine Donough
        abt 1888
        Jul-Aug-Sep
        Tynemouth, Northumberland, United Kingdom
        Sep 1889
        Northumberland, United Kingdom
        10b
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Sounds very feasible, Carolyn, thank you.
          Still Mum and dad to go - trouble is, I now get "name blind" with this gang and just can't cast the net in the right place.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Catharina Mcdonough
            Female
            12 Aug 1888
            Our Lady and St. Wilfred, Blyth, Northumberland, England
            Michaelis Mcdonough
            Maria Martin Mcdonough
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

That's a defo, then Thank you very much, Carolyn,

I have a hunch that Michael MAY have died and his wife remarried, but I can't remember WHY I'm thinking along those lines
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I can't find a death for him.. a few newspaper reports that maybe him, 1892 there is a mention of Market Street, did look at 1891 and can't see any McDonough in Market Street
                Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 22.03.59.png
                Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 22.02.45.png
                Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 22.03.22.png

Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

this must be Catherine, father a steamboat fireman

Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 22.11.36.png
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 22.29.34.png

This must be Catherine birth?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Some lovely snippers there - thank you Carolyn. Yes, births and deaths of Catherine.

I do know that the McDonoughs (both the men and women) were partial to a drink or two, or more! Going by the occupations, I think the 1876 offender would have been Michael senior, the 1883 his son Michael and probably also Michael jnr in 1892. Later on there was a third Michael, grandson of senior and nephew of junior.

Michael senior was my great-grandfather - I am just quaffing a glass of wine and wondering if there is something in the genes???
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-07-23, 21:57.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Folly wood houses is interesting. Michael senior and his wife lived in Folly Rd. One of their daughters married in 1881 and later moved into one of the wooden houses - she had a terrible life.

Seems Michael junior lived there too . His brother in law was also a ship's fireman - I hope the likeness stopped there.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                          That's a defo, then Thank you very much, Carolyn,

I have a hunch that Michael MAY have died and his wife remarried, but I can't remember WHY I'm thinking along those lines
                          Maybe this?

Name Michael McDonough
                          Gender Male
                          Death Age 24
                          Event Type Death
                          Birth Date abt 1865
                          Birth Place Blyth
                          Death Date 12 Nov 1889
                          Ship Cape Calonna​

Julie

Comment

A brilliant find, DS, thank you.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

States his death was 12 November 1889, [dysentery] and the port of registry in Newcastle. Though not sure that means the death was registered IN N/C. Registrar General to whom death was reported was 'L' whatever that means, I'll see if I can find out. ahhh 'L' is LONDON. 'E' is Edinburgh and 'D' is Dublin.

Though I can't see a corresponding entry in the GRO.
                              Julie

Comment

There is this:

Name Mary McDonough
                                Registration Year 1899
                                [1899]
                                Registration Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep
                                Registration district Newcastle upon Tyne
                                Inferred County Northumberland
                                Volume 10b
                                Page 176​

though it doesn't show a middle name.

poss spouse:

Stephen Patterson
                                Henry Wallace

Julie

Comment

Thank you Julie.

This is what I came across yesterday, which made me consider a possible death for Michael and the remarriage of his widow.

However, the jury is still out and I need to do some more ferreting around.
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I'm not spotting anything that is likely. Do you know where Mary Lizzie was born at all Jay?
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                      Thank you Julie.

This is what I came across yesterday, which made me consider a possible death for Michael and the remarriage of his widow.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...abeth-marshall

However, the jury is still out and I need to do some more ferreting around.
                                      ooooohh looks promising.

MARSHALL, ANTHONY RITSON MMN - MARTIN
                                      GRO Reference: 1900
                                      D Quarter in CHESTER-LE-STREET
                                      Volume 10A Page 518​
                                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                        I'm not spotting anything that is likely. Do you know where Mary Lizzie was born at all Jay?
                                        No!! That's part of the problem.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X