Missing 1871 - 1886; believed to have been serving in the army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing 1871 - 1886; believed to have been serving in the army

Henry Boulter, was born at Trunch, Norfolk, in 1852, son of James and Susan. He was in the family home in Trunch in 1861, recorded as 8 yrs old and a farmers boy.
    The next proven event was his marriage (by lic) to Lucy Angrave Gregory in Farringdon Berks on 24 March 1886 - Henry was a groom and a resident of Jesmond, Northumberland. The couple went on to have four surviving daughters between 1889 and 1898. In 1891 the family lived at Broadstairs Kent (Henry was a caretaker) before moving to the Guilford area , where Henry was recorded as a domestic coachman in 1901 and then a carman in 1911.

In 1915 (aged 63) Henry enlisted to join the RFA (declaring his age was 50 years ) and that he had previously served in the army. He was sent to serve in France, but, after hospitalisation due to a dodgy knee and emphysema , he was eventually sent back to England in November 1917 and was finally discharged from the army in February 1918, described as no longer physically fit for army service, along with the award of a silver war badge.
    When he enlisted in 1915, he declared that he had previously served with the RFA, but had bought himself out in 1886 (this was the year of his marriage.)

I have recently discovered that Henry died at Millmead, Guilford in 1927 and a death announcement in the paper stated that he had fought at the battle of Majuba Hill in the first Boer War. This took place in early 1881; so, is army service the reason why I can't find Henry in census returns for 1871 and 1881??
    I'm not very good at military research, nor in searching the National Archives, so if anyone can find out more, or suggest where I could look to find out more about Henry's possible army career, I'd be very grateful.

Bit shocking that they took an old man into the army even if he did tell a fib; I suppose the good thing for him is that as all his teeth were rotten, they were removed and he was supplied with a double set of dentures!
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 14-07-23, 20:03.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

There is a record on FmP for H Boulter, a Gunner in the Royal Artillery, Service No. 13961

He attested on 11 Dec 1876 and was discharged 7 Jan 1886 by purchase - £18 received by Captain Dawkins on 2 Dec 1885.

The record one of many within a register, not an individual record. Its been indexed as WO121 Box 246, which I believe is the National Archives reference WO 121/246 - Register of men discharged without pension

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Comment

I havent found him in 1871 yet but the Norwich Mercury of 19 April 1873 carries an article about Henry Boulter of Trunch, Labourer, charged with assaulting Phoebe Larke.

Comment

Thank you, teasie. I'm off to bed now (had nodded off in my chair!) so I'll follow up your suggestions later in the day when I re-surface.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Excellent finds, teasie.

He was the only Henry in that branch of the family (and in that area) so I feel pretty confident that the newspaper article was referring to him.
          Wondering if the two events are connected ?? He wouldn't have been the first young man to have a brush with the law and to then join the army to escape backlash from the neighbours

Seems very likely that the army discharge doc also refers to him. Thanks for your help.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
          X