Margaret Hussey (IRELAND)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margaret Hussey (IRELAND)

I am finding it difficult to navigate Ireland BDM.
    Margaret Hussey B 1821-1823 Ballinasloe Ireland F Michael Hussey M Honorah (Nora) Tulley.
    Married before 1840 to a TUPP or TUBB or TUBBS (who died in 1840 in Ireland)
    She arrived in Australia aboard "EARL GREY" as TUBBS
    I would like to confirm her birth and marriage in Ireland, I am willing to purchase the certificates if i can.

This is still in pursuit of my Graet Aunt Catherine Miller
    Brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

You'll need to find a baptism in galway at that time. Have you looked into what parish it is in and whether galway has records online? Have you tried FMP? Their irish parish records are free and transcripts are better than ancestry. Rootsireland i found had good records for some areas.

Is the family catholic or protestant? Catholic marriages at that period would be parish registers i think, civil reg was 1864. Though protestant civil reg was 1845 for marriages.

Comment

The Catholic parish for the town of Ballinasloe was 'Creagh and Kilcloony​' aka 'Ballinasloe (St.Michaels) - register images are available free on the National Library of Ireland's website. These registers cover baptisms and marriages back to 1820, and unusually for a Catholic parish also cover some death/burials. The register images on the NLI system are indexed and searchable on FindMyPast with a free account (also on Ancestry with a paid account).

I had a quick look for any early Hussey (or similar baptisms) in the parish and those adjacent but didn't see any likely matches, no sign of any Tupp/Tubb[s] baptism that I could find in the RC parish records either - possibly this family were some other protestant denomination, or your Margaret was born in a parish that does not have records back far enough ?
      Last edited by Shanew147; 01-07-23, 19:05.

Comment

for reference the Church of Ireland parish for the town of Ballinasloe was Creagh or sometimes called the Union of Creagh and Kilcloony, the latest RCBL (Representative Church Body Library) Parish list shows that they hold records for the parish back to 1808, with a gap in baptisms between 1812 and 1823, the registers are also available on microfilm in the National Archives (Bishop Street, Dublin city)

RootsIreland (pay-website) seems to have transcripts of baptisms for the parish covering back to 1823.

The town of Ballinasloe was on the border between counties Galway and Roscommon, with parts in the civil parishes of Kilcloony and Creagh respectively. A wider search of the entries on the Primary Valuation (Griffith's), dating from the mid 1850s for this area, for the two surnames mentioned show a single Tubbs entry - Elizabeth with a property in Loughrea, nearly 30km further west from Ballinasloe. A similar search for Hussey/Hussy and similar, shows a number of properties, but none in either of the (civil) parishes for Ballinasloe. The closest matches are probably several 'Huission' entries about 10km west of Ballinasloe.

Skipping back in time to the Tithe records c1823-1837 shows no Tubbs, Hussey or similar in or near the town of Ballinasloe, note that these cover payments due on certain types of agricultural land only, so would not generally cover urban area like towns or those working as labourers etc

Comment

Kylejustin and Shanew147
          Thank you for your suggestions,
          It has just become more complicated with her 2nd marriage (in Australia to John Miller) in 1864 giving her age as 40 yrs old = b 1824
          Her death cert gives her age in 1891 gives her age as 80 yrs old = b 1811
          She is buried in Roman Catholic Section Gore Hill NSW and married in Holy Trinity Church CoE Sydney NSW.
          I will go thru the National Library website and see what I can find.
          Brian
          Last edited by 2weis; 01-07-23, 23:01. Reason: correct date of birth from death cert
          avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
          researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Working...
          X