Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military experts knowledge help plz

Any military experts out there that can help Please
    My Great Grandfather James Newport (b) 1860 in Castle Cary, Somerset enlisted on the 15th August 1878 and was based at the 39th Brigade Depot in Dorchester when he deserted on the 27th January 1881. What im trying to find out is what Regiment he joined on enlistment. When he bought himself out in 1884 he was listed as being in the 1st Gordon Highlanders but that was after the amalgamation of Regiments, but he retained his original service number which was 1999. Any help please much appreciated​

I'll qualify this by saying I'm not an expert, but the Gordon Highlander's were formed under the Childers Reforms on 1 July 1881, by the amalgamation of the 75th (Stirlingshire) and 92nd (Gordon Highlander) Regiments of Foot.

The 39th Brigade Depot in Dorchester was The Keep, and according to Wikipedia was the depot for the 39th (Dorsetshire) and the 75th (Stirlingshire) Regiments of Foot.

If James Newport deserted in January 1881, ie pre-Chilvers, and was based at the Keep, then it would seem likely that he was originally in the 75th (Stirlingshire) Regiment of Foot.

My friend Wikipedia also tells me that the 75th became the 1st Battalion of the Gordon Highlanders, and the 92nd became the 2nd Battalion, if this helps at all.

ADDED: Just read your post again and I'd missed that you'd said he was discharged from the 1st Battalion, which seems to confirm that he was previously in the 75th (Stirlingshire) Regiment of Foot
    Last edited by teasie; 30-06-23, 23:58.

Comment

Working...
    X