No announcement yet.

James Farley b.1805 can't see a bapt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, there was a George Farley in Hawkhurst, married to Elizabeth who was having children at the right time - Samuel. 1802; Thomas 1807; Sophia 1809; Hannah 1814 and Edward 1816. There is even an appropriate gap for James to fit in, but I have been through the book (images are on FMP) and cannot find any trace of him. Could he have had a private baptism and not been entered in the book? Who knows.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Julie have you seen this tree?

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
        Thank you, I can't see that tree as my sub has lapsed. Re James' baptism, could he have had a different first name and James as a middle name? The Budd marriage cert is interesting, re the witness names: Eliza Farley marries Henry Baker!
        Just hopping about a bit here, are you stating that Eliza Farley b.1828 dies in 1830? and that the surviving Eliza is in fact Eliza Hannah Farley?
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 24-01-23, 07:28.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Ok; the tree is agreeing with George and Elizabeth being James' parents, but has no source to back it up. They also have 2 more children, born in Shoreditch in London, Hannah, b & d 1825, and Hannah Eliza born Nov 1826, bap Dec 1826 - in the baptism her father is a Mechanic, so doesn't really match.

Yes, the first Eliza died, at 14 months, so Eliza Hannah is the one who survives. In the above tree, he has conflated her with the Hannah Eliza from Shoreditch and has her marrying Joseph Croft in 1846.

No middle names were given on any of the baptisms in Hawkhurst for George and Elizabeths children. It does however look like they had another child, George Henry b1708 in Salehurst

Linda

Comment

oh poooooo. still no nearer then, I've been trying to look at the 1881 census of James who is a widower by then as Rhoda dies in 1877. to see if it helps in anyway.

so we know from his marriages that George was his dad.
            Julie

Comment

Can you see the marriage for Eliza Farley to Henry Baker at all, just wondering what the details are and if they will help at all. thank you. [4th Sept 1847]
              Julie

Comment

In my ancestry hints there is a probate record for James Farley, from looking at the baptisms of the children early on in his married life he appears as a labourer and a Hawker, not sure what the occupation is in 1841 as I hadn't found it, but later on he is certainly a clog maker.
                Julie

Comment

Sorry I didn't get back to this last night - bed called in the end.
                  The thread has moved on but now I'm lost! Julie, someone has included on an Ancestry tree the image of the 1847 marr between Henry Baker & Eliza Farley - Eliza was the daughter of James Farley, hawker, and she was 20 years old, so born c1827.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                    Sorry I didn't get back to this last night - bed called in the end.
                    The thread has moved on but now I'm lost! Julie, someone has included on an Ancestry tree the image of the 1847 marr between Henry Baker & Eliza Farley - Eliza was the daughter of James Farley, hawker, and she was 20 years old, so born c1827.
                    That's ok Jay, yes that is the right one, Eliza was actually Eliza Hannah, being named after her dead sister that was b.1827 d.1829. It is confusing yes!

from looking at the children's bapts he is listed as a labourer/Hawker and then by 1855 he is a Pattern maker on his marriage to Rhoda Budd. on census records that I can see he is listed as a Clog maker, so I'm wondering if he had to have an apprenticeship anywhere??

still not found anything to suggest that James' father was George Henry Farley.. yet other trees seem to have him as such [Linda had a look, and I've been stumbling around LDS trying to get my head around it now]

in my hints there is a probate record for James Farley 1883 ish [that's when he dies] but I can't see the detail [on Ancestry] can you see it at all please?
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 24-01-23, 10:04.
                    Julie

Comment

Again, this is all according to an Ancestry tree, so would need to be checked, although relevant images are included on the tree.
                      1841 census Burwash - James was a patten maker
                      1851 clog maker
                      1855 marriage to widow Rhoda Budd (dau of Stephen Couch) James was a patten maker, s/o George Farley Labourer; witnesses George and Eliza Baker
                      1861 James is a clog maker, living with Rhoda
                      1871 as above
                      1881 James is a widower and he is a clogmaker.

I suppose "hawker" could have described an itinerant patten maker ?????
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-01-23, 10:39.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                        Again, this is all according to an Ancestry tree, so would need to be checked, although relevant images are included on the tree.
                        1841 census Burwash - James was a patten maker
                        1851 clog maker
                        1855 marriage to widow Rhoda Budd (dau of Stephen Couch) James was a patten maker, s/o George Farley Labourer; witnesses George and Eliza Baker
                        1861 James is a clog maker, living with Rhoda
                        1871 as above
                        1881 James is a widower and he is a clogmaker.

I suppose "hawker" could have described an itinerant patten maker ?????
                        I'm not sure what to think really, I don't know enough about clog making and if they would have to have served time as an apprentice?

a lot of trees have James' father as George Henry Farley, though I haven't looked in the census for him, yet.

The Baker name keeps cropping up. Eliza Hannah Farley marries Henry Baker in 1847.
                        Julie

Comment

Haven't checked it out, but there is this tree...

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                          Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

in my hints there is a probate record for James Farley 1883 ish [that's when he dies] but I can't see the detail [on Ancestry] can you see it at all please?

The only probate I can see for a James Farley is in 1880 a licensed victualler in Lichfield.

Linda

Comment

Probate - all I can see is the following:

admin: 23 March 1876 of the effects of James Farley late of Cranbrook, Kent, who died 15 Jan 1876 at Cranbrook,. Admin granted to widow Letty Farley of Cranbrook.

(I did a quick blanket search - James Farley 1883 +/- 10 yrs )
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

On the tree ozgirl posted the link to, the tree holder has James Farley b 1805 died 1883 at CRANBROOK. So, some confusion of facts, I think.
                                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-01-23, 11:39.
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Can't find marriage for Eliza and Henry Baker, only banns

Screenshot (28).png
                                  Linda

Comment

Don't know if this link will work

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...2?pId=91726506

image of the marriage

Seems to work - if not allowed, please could someone edit and resubmit?
                                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-01-23, 12:01.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

According to a transcript produced by Sussex Family History Group, James was buried at Burwash 18 July 1883, recorded as 83 yrs old.

James's first wife Hannah was buried at Burwash 10 July 1841, aged 35 years, and second wife Rhoda on 2 Feb 1877 (same source as above.)
                                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-01-23, 12:23.
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                        Well, there was a George Farley in Hawkhurst, married to Elizabeth who was having children at the right time - Samuel. 1802; Thomas 1807; Sophia 1809; Hannah 1814 and Edward 1816. There is even an appropriate gap for James to fit in, but I have been through the book (images are on FMP) and cannot find any trace of him. Could he have had a private baptism and not been entered in the book? Who knows.
                                        I too looked through the book earlier today - always possible the vicar omitted an entry when writing up, especially if doing his returns by candlelight! Not everyone was baptised - my own maternal grandfather seemed not to have been baptised, although all his siblings were. My mother recalled him eventually being baptised as an adult, shortly followed by his confirmation. A check in the village baptism register verified this.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

oh my! what a pickle! I can't see the image that you posted Jay, [no sub] just takes me to the sign-up page.

I have seen some of the transcripts on Ancestry, but not that one Jay. Looks promising, especially as he was living in Burwash and didn't seem to move a great deal.

Cranbrook isn't that far from Ticehurst according to the map. Let me just check the death index again incase I have missed something.
                                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                                          X