Is this my James in Ireland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this my James in Ireland?

I've got James Pontin born 1853 in Chichester, married Mary Ann Picknell in 1877 St Marylebone.

I've got him on 1861 and 1871 census. Ancestry is then trying to pursuade me that James and Mary moved to Galway with a 1901 with a census return. And James' death in Limerick in 1904.

Apart from not having him on a census in England I have nothing to assume he went to Ireland.

Can anyone with more knowledge of irish records have a look for me??
    Queenbee

Looks to be right. See
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...Glebe/1401649/
    then view census image. It says pob Sussex for both of them.

Edit
    Have you seen this tree?
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...=successSource

1881 and 1891 Irish census have been destroyed.
    Last edited by keldon; 05-01-23, 20:51.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

1901 and 1911 census are free on the irish national archives site. Then try the free bmd site for the death cert.

Comment

Youngest James - shown bc.1893 Limerick in 1901 census - was born as James Arthur Pontin 28/9/1892 Limerick and birth entry on Irish Genealogy confirms parents were James Pontin and Mary Anne Picknell.

In UK in 1911 James is living with Herbert and Annie White and shown as brother in law. Herbert White, widower, married Annie Pontin, full age, dau. of James, 6/8/1894 Limerick. This marriage and 1911 census would indicate that Annie was born ca.1874/5 before James and Mary Ann married in 1877 and also that she was born in Scotland.

Now it gets a bit complicated. I found the birth for an Anna Ellen Pontin born 21/12/1874 Carnwath (Lanarkshire) dau. of James Pontin, joiner and Mary Ann Goble supposedly married 4/7/1871 Brighton, Sussex BUT although a lady of this name married in Brighton 1871 it wasn't to a James Pontin!! Looks like sometime between 1871 and 1874 James went to Scotland with a lady who was actually married to someone else and that he fathered a daughter with her.

A bit confused at this point so will leave you to ponder this.

Comment

Amazing, so looks like we've definitely got Irish decendants. Thanks everyone

annette.humphreys I need to go back over my tree and ponder your findings. I hadnt uncovered anything thst interesting!! But this is a new line so i havent yet looked too deeply.
          Queenbee

Comment

annette.humphreys. Had to read your message about 3 times with my tree in front of me!
            Interestistingly Goble is James' mother's maiden name... but I don't have a Mary Ann of the right age yet. However I've got uncles without known children so could Mary Ann be a cousin????
            Queenbee

Comment

James Pontin had a son Sydney with wife Mary Ann, née Goble, in limerick in 1882. Unfortunately Sydney died aged 3. But occupation of railways signalman on both birth and death records for James correspond with the info with Mary Ann picknell.

what on earth is going on??!!
              Queenbee

Comment

Sometimes people lie about marital status and surnames to hide secrets.

my initial thought is to look into the marriage date and place on the scottish birth....could be the details of her first marriage, or second lol. And look into that.

i have an ancestor who lied about her maiden name as she was already married. Her name on her children's births was "mack". On their marriages and deaths it was given as "mcauliffe" and once as "mclion". The only marriage to the father was "hedley" many years later, so i got that, and she said she was widowed and maiden name "mack".
                yet on the first marriage to hedley she was "mcaulliffe". She was also quite loose with her age.
                The eldest three children listed on the birth records are all hedley's and no births or baptisms found for them. Only one can be traced through adulthood and another is mentioned in a newspaper clipping. Can find nothing on the third child.

makes it all the more interesting!

Comment

Do you have the 1877 marriage?

Comment

interesting the 1877 marriage in st marylebone is blank for mary anne picknell's father. she claims to be a spinster, but this isn't always true. james is a carpenter, son of george pontin a builder. both of full age living in marylebone. wittnesses t & f lloyd. any idea who they are?

i can't see a marriage in the sussex records on ancestry in 1871 for mary anne goble to william baker. can't spot the other couple in the records either. wonder if both couples married in the register office? benjamin crossfield married jane harriet short, they have children in brighton 1870's.

Comment

francis pontain b.1880 listowel. father inspector of railway signals. mother: picknell
                      sydney pontin b.1882 limerick. father a signal inspector with limerick railways. mother: goble
                      louisa pontin b.1884 newcastle. father engineer, mother: picknell
                      clara jane poutin b.1887 newcastle. father signal inspector railway. mother: picknell
                      christina maude ponten b.1891 limerick. father raiway signal inspector. mother: picknell

they lost francis, 3 and sydney, 2 in 1882. that's sad. father's occupation railways inspector.
                      death of clara j in 1888, listed as telegraph inspector.

interesting she uses "goble" once.

Comment

Working...
                      X