Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 52: My ancestor was a musician

Week 52: Musician

This is an opportunity to showcase a musician from your family tree whether professional of an amateur, you might want to offer a short biography and speak about their work eg
    Name
    Birth location/date
    Family background
    Where you've found them on the census
    Their workplace/employer
    Any tips on researching this occupation?

Trades and Occupations - Family Tree Forum

[Next week: Actor]​​

We've now had a whole year of "occupation" threads, thank you to everyone who has contributed. It doesn't have to be a direct ancestor, you can add anyone who features on your tree.

I will kick off this thread by offering you William Henry Monk, he was the composer of many hymn tunes, one of the most widely known being Abide With Me. He was born in Chelsea in 1823, where his father was a tallow chandler. He studied music and became a church organist beginning at St Peter Eaton Square and worked at a variety of London churches before marrying my husband's relation Hope Isidore Pillow 0n August 14th 1846 at St James, Bermondsey. Hope's mother Hopestill and my husband's 3x great grandfather James Harland were brother and sister.

By coincidence a servant at their home in 1851 at 113 Upper Stamford Street was Frances Steel from Fernhurst in Sussex who was someone I'm related to.

In 1852 they moved with their first child Florence because Monk became organist and choirmaster at St Mattias, Stoke Newington, and in 1857 he was appointed musical editor of Hymns Ancient and Modern which ran to many editions and contained the tune Eventide to which Abide with me is sung and that for All things Bright and Beautiful (which my mother in law chose for her funeral little knowing of he family connection to the melody).

He died in 1889 and is buried in Highgate Cemetery, with a monument paid for by public subscription.

Comment

Working...
    X