Jane Wallace - born Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane Wallace - born Ireland

Anyone got access to Irish records. I’m looking for the birth of Jane Wallace b. Abt 1849, parents Thomas Wallace & Susan Wallace m.s. Baird. Jane married James Gibb in Glasgow in 1871, I have her on the census for that year where it states place of birth as Belfast.

I think you may have to look for a baptism record. According to GRONI (General register office Norther Ireland) they only hold births registered from 1 January 1864 in what is now Northern Ireland.​ Do you know what denomination the family were?
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 15-12-22, 11:31.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

agree that knowing their denomination would be useful.

I don't think irishgenealogy.ie has the records that you need
      This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.

rootsireland.ie - I think you need a sub even to search, but it can be a short duration.

Posting on Elwyn's thread may be helpful

Ireland can be hard!

Comment

no way this could be she?
        Jane Wallace
        Female
        Belfast, Ireland
        Birth
        British nationals armed forces births 1761-2005
        GRO Regimental Birth Indices Supplement (1761 to 1924)

Comment

An interesting find, PF
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Statutory registration of births only started in Ireland in 1864 (in contrast to 1837 for England & Wales and 1855 for Scotland). So for a birth around 1849 you are searching for a baptism record. As has been mentioned to do that you need to know the precise denomination. Not every church has records for the 1840s, and of those that do, not all are on-line.

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church. So what denomination did Jane marry in, in 1871? That will tell you which denomination to search in Belfast. RC records are mostly on-line on the nli site:

https://www.nli.ie/en/family-history-introduction.aspx

For other denominations, the churches usually hold the originals but there are also copies in PRONI, the public record office, in Belfast. A personal visit is required to access them. Access to the records there is free. This link explains what records exist, parish by parish:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/proni-guide-church-records

If you are unable to go yourself, you could employ a researcher. Researchers in the PRONI area: http://sgni.net

The 1871 marriage certificate should also tell you whether Jane's parents were still alive at that date. (If dead it should say "dcd" after their name. If alive it will say nothing. ). That and her father's occupation may help locate them in Belfast or wherever.
            Last edited by Elwyn; 17-12-22, 09:12.
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              Jane Wallace
              Female
              Belfast, Ireland
              Birth
              Can you tell me where this is from? No parents names given?

Got this from FMP
              First name(s) Jane
              Record's year range 1848
              Sex Female
              Volume R.A.19
              Last name Wallace
              Line number 63
              Birth year 1848
              Archive reference REG2
              Organisation Armed Forces
              Source Gro Regimental Birth Indices Supplement (1761 To 1924)
              Country Ireland
              Record set British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms
              Place Belfast
              Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
              Page 47
              Subcategory Civil Births
              Archive General Register Office
              Collections from Great Britain, UK Other
              Last edited by BEARGER; 18-12-22, 21:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                I think you may have to look for a baptism record. According to GRONI (General register office Norther Ireland) they only hold births registered from 1 January 1864 in what is now Northern Ireland.​ Do you know what denomination the family were?
                She married in a Presbyterian church in Glasgow.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARGER View Post

Can you tell me where this is from? No parents names given?
                  This is the full reference from FindmyPast. You’ll need to send to GRO for the birth certificate to find out the parents’ names.

First name(s) Jane
                  Sex Female
                  Last name Wallace
                  Birth year 1848
                  Country Ireland
                  Place Belfast
                  Page 47
                  Record's year range 1848
                  Volume R.A.19
                  Line number 63
                  Archive reference REG2
                  Subcategory Civil Births
                  Collections from Great Britain, UK Other​
                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-12-22, 21:20.

Comment

Jane Wallace
                    Female
                    Belfast, Ireland
                    Birth
                    On FMP when I go into original document it states 1818 not 1848! Am I doing something wrong?
                    Last edited by BEARGER; 18-12-22, 21:21.

Comment

This is a helpful article from TNA on what’s where and how to go about it.

This is a brief guide to help you with your research into a birth, marriage or death in the British Army, Royal Air Force, Royal Marines or Royal Navy. There is no single place or collection where you can easily search for a birth, marriage or death in the armed forces, although many resources are […]

Comment

On FMP when I go into original document it states 1818 not 1848! Am I doing something wrong?
                        I had only clicked on transcript but I see now what you are seeing on the image of the index page. It does indeed say 1818 for the Jane who was born in Belfast and 1848 for the child above that who was born in Gibraltar and called George!
                        How blooming annoying
                        I think you will have to contact FMP helpline to get them to double check but it looks like they have made a transcription error.
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-12-22, 21:36.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

This is the full reference from FindmyPast. You’ll need to send to GRO for the birth certificate to find out the parents’ names.

First name(s) Jane
                          Sex Female
                          Last name Wallace
                          Birth year 1848
                          Country Ireland
                          Place Belfast
                          Page 47
                          Record's year range 1848
                          Volume R.A.19
                          Line number 63
                          Archive reference REG2
                          Subcategory Civil Births
                          Collections from Great Britain, UK Other​

Thank you I will do that.

Comment

Thanks all for the help. I have emailed FMP, but it looks like I’m out of luck in finding Jane. Certainly looks like a straightforward transcription error.

Comment

Do you have a copy of Jane's marriage certificate? If so, what info does it have for her parents? Did they have any children born in Scotland, with birth certs recording their marriage details? (Wondering if tracking parents/siblings of Jane could give any clues.) As many of us have found out, info given on census returns is not always correct!

Was Jane the young lady who was a steam loom weaver, boarding with Mary Short in 1871 census?
                              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 19-12-22, 09:43.
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Do you have a copy of Jane's marriage certificate? If so, what info does it have for her parents? Did they have any children born in Scotland, with birth certs recording their marriage details? (Wondering if tracking parents/siblings of Jane could give any clues.) As many of us have found out, info given on census returns is not always correct!

Was Jane the young lady who was a steam loom weaver, boarding with Mary Short in 1871 census?
                                Yes I believe so, correct name and only 5 minutes walk from where her proposed husband lived. On marriage cert they both give his address in George Street.

Jane parents on marriage cert are Thomas Wallace & Susan Wallace m.s. Baird they are not recorded as deceased.
                                Cannot find anything on SP for her parents. Have booked a space at records office in the new year, may get lucky.

Comment

What was given for occupation of parents/father? Did they have any other children and if so, when and where were they born?
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

What was given for occupation of parents/father? Did they have any other children and if so, when and where were they born?
                                    Father was a railway brakeman. I can find no trace of mother & father anywhere or if they had other children. Assumed that they were from Ireland due to Jane saying born Belfast on census. I have looked at SP just in case they were originally from Scotland but no joy.

Comment

I pulled it from FamilySearch
                                      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Sorry I didn't give the link initially.

Comment

I pulled it from FamilySearch
                                        Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Sorry I didn't give the link initially.
                                        Thanks, I have asked FMP to check out the dates, but think 1818 is probably correct.

Comment

Working...
                                        X