Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Parish Records

parish record 1695 fiskerton.png
    Thought some of you might like to see this. From Fiskerton in Nottinghamshire parish Records. After the baptisms, marriages and burials from 1695 Think it is the charges but also mentions the war with France.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Great find! These old PRs are often a fascinating insight into history as it was lived at the time. I looked at the actual records for the village of Greystoke, Cumberland in 1666. There was a record of a parish collection made 'for ye citizens of London who are so afflicted by the great fire'. I was really surprised to see a collection for something so far away from them.
    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      Great find! These old PRs are often a fascinating insight into history as it was lived at the time. I looked at the actual records for the village of Greystoke, Cumberland in 1666. There was a record of a parish collection made 'for ye citizens of London who are so afflicted by the great fire'. I was really surprised to see a collection for something so far away from them.
      Anne
      These were known as Church Briefs. Authorised by the monarch after a great calamity, appeals would be sent to all the churches. More here.
      Last edited by keldon; 18-10-22, 21:34.
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Ah! Interesting. Thanks for the link.
        Anne

Comment

That's great, Thanks. I knew someone on here would know about it.

There is also a long description about who had planted hedges locally a few pages further on.
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Working...
          X