Week 36: My ancestor was a police officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 36: My ancestor was a police officer

Do you have a police officer or a special constable in your tree?

This is an opportunity to showcase a police officer from your family tree, you might want to offer a short biography and speak about their work eg
    Name
    Birth location/date
    Family background
    Where you've found them on the census
    Their workplace/employer
    Any tips on researching the police?

Trades and Occupations - Family Tree Forum
    Police History Society
    British Police History

[Next week: Working with wood]
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 27-08-22, 09:19.

My father was a police officer in North Staffordshire c1928-54. I found a couple of news items mentioning him in FMP's newspaper collection

Comment

Edwin Bent's father worked his way up to Superintendent of Police in Stretford, Lancashire. Edwin (1848-1912) married my kinswoman Grace Ann Kershaw in Newchurch in Rossendale in 1871 and became a police officer there. Two children, Margaret and John were born to them but by John's baptism in 1874 he had left the police and the baptismal register records him as a book keeper.

He abandoned Grace and the children and in 1878 at Collyhurst bigamously married widow Elizabeth Parker nee Greaves. He was a commercial traveller at this point. In April 1880 he took on the tenancy of the Burlington Hotel in Llandudno and was arrested there by Detective Slater and Sergeant Morris of the Manchester police at Llandudno on a charge of bigamy in July 1880, appearing in court and pleading guilty in January the following year. He claimed Grace was living with someone. He continued to live with Elizabeth and they had a son in 1883.

Grace died in Fylde district on 1st March 1884 and was buried in the family grave in Newchurch in Rossendale. The children returned to Newchurch.

Somehow, in spite of his conviction he was appointed to the railway police in Sheffield and in 1891 was living with his senior police officer father in Stretford and was an Inspector of Railway Police and a widower, so he hadn't bothered to make an honest woman of Elizabeth. In 1901 he was a Superintendent of Police in Ecclesfield with a female servant Elizabeth Sparrow. In 1909 he was earning £200p.a. 1911 saw them both in Nottinghamshire (though Miss Sparrow had only aged 5 years). She was one of his executors when he died the following year worth £1121 16s 9d.

So ends the story of my Bent copper.

Comment

My grandfather, Charles King, was in the Metropolitan Police for 25 years - he was presented with a silver plate upon retirement, which my brother has inherited. Charles was born in Suffolk in 1877 and joined the police force in 1901 in Marylebone before transferring to Brixton. He married my grandmother, Emily Philbrook in Redhll in May 1902 and they lived in Beddington and then Plough Lane, Wallington. Charles and Emily had eight children, one died at three months and their eldest son died in his sleep, aged 21 of an undetected heart problem. After retiring from the police, Charles became a gardener. He died in 1950.
        charles-king policeman.jpg
        Jenny

Comment

Working...
        X