Is there such a thing as a (stand-alone) Census Analysis Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such a thing as a (stand-alone) Census Analysis Program

It was only because I saw that my Ancestor in the 1881 Census was living in a street (Penge, nr Croydon) of just 43 houses, in a triangled area surrounded by railways, that I was suddenly interested to see how many people lived on the street/ the number of children/ occupations etc etc etc. (Information I thought that would maybe bring alive my Notes within FTM for this Ancestor.)

Whilst I actioned my analysis just using a pen and A3 paper, having ruled out trying to organise something in an Excel Spreadsheet as I would have still been at the organising stage, it did make me wonder if anyone knows of a basic stand-alone program available that, after (me) actually inputting the information, would then provide such an analysis of the people living in a street in a Census?

(An interesting exercise as it happens. 64 Households, 322 people of which 141 were children with 91 of them at school. Don't think I have noticed this before in all the Census' looked at, but there were 8 boarders in the street. Oh and two Nurse/Childs.)

If I was going to do it I would just use a Spreadsheet and pivot table/filters as there aren't that many fields really. The best way to get good analysis would be to sub categorise occupations and add additional field, otherwise you will just get loads and loads slightly different occupations for the same industry/genre

For the 1881 census people have done some local analysis as it is a free census, so if you are focussing on an area it might already be transcribed and done onto a SS, always worth a search.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Interesting you mention the different Occupation categories. If I do the exercise again, is it a case of trawling through the ‘Vision of Britain’ website to find aides to help such Occupation categorising?

Comment

Originally posted by Xenofex2 View Post
        Interesting you mention the different Occupation categories. If I do the exercise again, is it a case of trawling through the ‘Vision of Britain’ website to find aides to help such Occupation categorising?
        I am not familiar with that site, I think I did look at it a while back. I just come from a systems/data management background, so to get sense of data you need to 'code/categorise' otherwise you will just end up with a long list of unformatted data. With a spreadsheet you can go back and categorise as you build your database. There maybe products out there and maybe the website you mentioned has a lot of data already done.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

WikiTree has a "WikiTree Sourcer"
          * I haven't used it (but should...)
          * it might collect the fields you want to document
          When on a supported census-type record page there is an option on the menu "Build Household Table". This will generate a WikiTree style table or list that can be pasted into a WikiTree profile.
          * I think you can just paste the collected info into any text file.

YouTube here

WikiTree Wiki Sourcer User Guide

Comment

There is a programme Custodian 4 which analyzes lots of different things, it is available from S & N and probably from Custodian themselves.
            Margaret

Comment

Thankyou 'PhotoFamily' & 'Rusty', both options seem very interesting. I will definitely check them out..

Comment

Working...
              X