Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mary powton

this woman is making me crazy!

mary powton b.1814 thornton le beans in the parish of north otterington, yorkshire. daughter of thomas powton and elizabeth walker.
    she m.1836, leake to richard wilson steele (d.1842 bedale). they had two sons in bedale area: richard wilson (b.1838) and john william (1838-9).
    mary then married george deighton in 1844 at bedale. they had 3 sons: john george (b.1846), william (b.1848) and charles (1850-1865).
    the deighton family is in bedale in 1851. there is a widowed mary anne deighton b.1820 barnard castle, a hairdresser living in bishop auckland in 1861- i know this is her, as she has the three deighton sons born bedale with her. after this, she vanishes. i think her husband george died in 1860 auckland, though can't find the entry on GRO to check age. charles dies 1865 auckland. the other three surviving sons all become hairdressers and are traceable on census, mary isn't with them. though i can't see william in 1881 (he and john george are together in 1871). no deaths fit with age in durham 1861-1871 on GRO. there are two marriages in same period for auckland: 1863 to robert calvert (can't see this couple in 1871 census) and 1864 of mary anne deighton to anthony baxter- this is on FMP her father is joseph cornell.

can someone see mary after 1861 in bishop auckland?

I have had a good look for you but not found anything you haven't

Found the George Deighton death in 1860 that you have but not on the GRO. Looked on Freebmd and put all the names in that were on the same page number but none of them came up so looks like they are all missing.

Also looked at The Calvert marriage. Did find a Robert and Mary Ann of the right age in Dewsbury 1871 but don't think it is them.

Sorry. Good luck with her.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Durham Records Online & Familysearch both have George's burial - buried 22 Jun 1860, aged 41.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        i can't see william in 1881
        He's at the Barbers Shop, 60 Western Road, Hedworth and Monkton and Jarrow - RG11/5024/71/33. Wife Isabella with him plus mother-in-law Maria Cook & two others, but no Mary.

Comment

Three's something not right about that 1861 census - her name is suddenly Mary Ann, her age is wrong, and so is her PoB.

There is a burial in Bishop Auckland on 9 Nov 1857 of Mary Deighton aged 43 (born c1814), and the Durham County Advertiser of 13 Nov 1857 and the Gateshead Observer of 14th November both say she was the wife of George Deighton, Hairdresser, & died 6th November.

The Durham County Advertiser of 22 June 1860 reports the death of George Deighton, Hairdresser, aged 41 (died 19th June)
          Last edited by teasie; 06-05-22, 02:44.

Comment

Think he may have married again after first wife Mary died 1857 - a George Deighton married in Dec.qtr.1859 Teesdale, Durham to Mary Ann Cornell or Mary Ann Alderson. I think it was Mary Ann Cornell.

Mary Ann Deighton (widow) remarried to an Anthony Baxter (widower) 18/7/1864 Auckland - her father given as Joseph Cornell.

She possibly died Jun.1869 Darlington Durham aged 49 which would fit with age in 1861.

Annette

Comment

See teasie i had seen that death in 1857 and thought it was a good fit, but then the 1861 census....but i think annette solved the other half of the mystery!

i think you're both right.

thank you very much ladies!

Comment

Working...
              X