Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back-up, Back-up, Back-up

Just a warning.

After adding quite a bit of data to my Tree in FTM 2019, I undertook a back-up to an external hard-drive. However I must admit that this is something that, up to now, I don’t automatically and regularly do.

The following day I went to add a Baptism Fact. Thought I was typing in the date details, looked at the screen and saw that nothing had been entered. What had happened I suddenly realised was that the child’s Father had been deleted from my Tree. There had been no warning. No ‘are you sure’ message.

Fortunately I had actioned this back-up and with the help of Live Chat, I managed to ‘restore’ this version. Looking now at the ‘Facts’ of the person initially deleted, the father had, full Birth, Baptism, Marriage & Death details. 4 Census entries. 8 Employment entries. 5 Address details. 16 Media Items. Yet all this suddenly disappeared without a warning.

Another lesson learnt.

Always worth backing up, and really not locally, if PC crashes you would lose it all.

My FTM is my back up from Ancestry.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Whilst my Tree is on FTM, I do also synch with Ancestry so that I can view it on my iPad.

Now whether I am right or not, I have some recollection made ages ago that at a FTM Lecture, I think it is the Media, that is not synch’d. In my circumstances I did not really wish to find out whether this was true or not.

I had backed up to a portable hard drive. However thinking about it afterwards, one normally has unused flashdrives around so could now even set up a system using a flashdrive for different days of the week. Whatever, make sure I do a backup.

Just another tip. I did initially have concern over the quality of my backup when I could not install it. However with the help of the excellent 24/4 Live Chat I found the solution. One does not install, one restores. Silly me!

https://support.mackiev.com/487839-Restoring-from-a-Backup-in-FTM-2017-and-FTM-2019

Comment

I think you used to be able to choose about media. You will be able to see the media on your ancestry tree to know if it is there.

I have just got a new PC and installed FTM2017, I downloaded software from Mackiev and had the 'key' then I just synched to Ancestry to get my tree on my new PC. Looks like it was all there and successful.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
        X