There's no hope really!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's no hope really!!

This is what I received from My Heritage today. I have never, in almost a year of subscription, had any form of 'discovery' except what is in other people's trees. What sort of example do they set??
    Good news, we've found a new Person Discovery for you. It can add an entire branch to your family tree with 12 people, in just a few clicks!
    The Discovery is for Elizabeth Ashton.
    Elizabeth Ashton
    1687 - 1752
    Direct ancestor (7 generations)
    This information comes from another family tree on MyHeritage managed by ***** from United Kingdom.

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
    This is what I received from My Heritage today. I have never, in almost a year of subscription, had any form of 'discovery' except what is in other people's trees. What sort of example do they set??
    And no way of checking whether they are correct - add the lot or delete - 1000% worse than Hints on Ancestry.!!

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Ancestry is the same with tree hints. You can't delete the ones that don't match. No way of telling ancestry what part of the tree suggestion is correct or wrong either.

but myheritage has always looked like a mess, i've always steered clear of it.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        Ancestry is the same with tree hints. You can't delete the ones that don't match. No way of telling ancestry what part of the tree suggestion is correct or wrong either.

but myheritage has always looked like a mess, i've always steered clear of it.
        This is a whole lot worse - they give you a complete branch - part may even be worth exploring but you can't even look and see if it may be correct. Then the options are to add the whole lot or delete the discovery never to be seen again. MH will be more responsible for wrong trees than Ancestry ultimately.

Ancestry give you the chance to make up your own mind by looking at the tree/sources/whatever and then use or ignore or keep until later.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I find it really shocking that they keep on and on sending me similar messages to the one above but never, ever anything of substance. I paid a sub to see what it would be like when I added my DNA results to their pool. I had also seen a photo purporting to be a pair of my gg grandparents on the tree of a contact. He had found it on MH and just added to the couple on his tree but never answered me when I asked how he knew it was them. To be fair they looked about right age, condition etc. When I finally tracked the photo down on MH it was totally clear that the photo was of a couple of the same names in the USA. MH continue to peddle that photo to me!!!

Needless to say I have already cancelled my sub, which only has a few weeks to run now.
          Anne

Comment

I have found a way to get to look at the relevant tree without adding the discovery to my own. It's a bit long winded but it goes like this. First take a note of the relative in the discovery, and the name of the tree owner. Then go to the discovery page, where they ask you if it is the same person. At the top of that page click on the Discoveries button and go to matches by people. Look for your matched relative in the list and review matches. Hopefully it will bring up a list of SmartMatches, one of which will be from the new tree owner. Hover on the owner's name, and click on View Profile. This will bring up a list of sites they run. Click on the one that seems appropriate for your rellie. This should bring you to their homepage, and you can now go to the family tree. Once on the tree, just search for your relative and you can now check out all their connections.

Hope this all makes sense. I check all mine out this way. I only have a minimal tree on my site (free) and do not want to add dozens of extra people. However I have been able to ascertain that a number of the discoveries are correct and have given me new twigs.
            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks ozgirl, that sounds like a good way of tracking if you have a free sub. I don't seem to have any problem seeing the other trees so I guessing that's because I have a sub at the moment. I expect it will change when my sub runs out so I'll use your method then!
              Anne

Comment

Working...
              X