Can anyone see the GRO record for ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone see the GRO record for ...

Thomas Lively's death? Burial record I have on Ancestry says buried 27th Jan 1844 Blockley (Gloucs/Worcs) and also a Source citation record but I can't see a Thomas Lively on GRO deaths (I'm trying to find out his YOB) for 1843/44?

Thanks for reading / looking.

Tessie
    Last edited by tessie31082; 13-02-22, 14:39.

There is a Thomas Lively 1838 Banbury Union mmn Hunt. I don't see any others.
    F

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
      There is a Thomas Lively 1838 Banbury Union mmn Hunt. I don't see any others.
      F
      Sorry Fran, it's the GRO death record for 1843/45 I'm trying to find (to give me his YOB)!

Tessie

Comment

was he born around 1766

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          was he born around 1766
          Val, I don't know that's why I need to find the GRO record He married in 1791 so could be a good date?!

Comment

The county is not what you’d think. At the time, Shipston-on-Stour has been classed as Warwickshire and had a sub district for Blockley although Blockley is said to be partly in Gloucestershire and partly Worcestershire. It was Worcestershire at the time of the death. Confusing or what???

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/distric...n%20stour.html

I cannot find a death for a Thomas Lively but there was a male death in 1844. Could he have had two forenames at birth and went by the middle one in life? The age at death fits with birth date in tessie’s post.
            LIVELY, JOHN 79
            GRO Reference: 1844 M Quarter in SHIPSTON-ON-STOUR Volume 11 Page 353
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-02-22, 15:53. Reason: Added info

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              The county is not what you’d think. At the time, Shipston-on-Stour has been classed as Warwickshire and had a sub district for Blockley although Blockley is said to be partly in Gloucestershire and partly Worcestershire. It was Worcestershire at the time of the death. Confusing or what???

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/distric...n%20stour.html

I cannot find a death for a Thomas Lively but there was a male death in 1844. Could he have had two forenames at birth and went by the middle one in life? The age at death fits with birth date in tessie’s post.
              LIVELY, JOHN 79
              GRO Reference: 1844 M Quarter in SHIPSTON-ON-STOUR Volume 11 Page 353
              Galloway, this whole branch is around this area with records all over these counties ha! Hmm, no other records I have are for a John only Thomas. I'll see if I can follow a John Lively to rule in or out thanks
              Last edited by tessie31082; 13-02-22, 15:57.

Comment

Can you post the burial record you found on ancestry please? I can’t find it.

UPDATE Scrub that. I found it by putting in the death place as Welford which where he was in 1841 census.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-02-22, 16:07.

Comment

Here you are GallowayLass

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...jQ0NzcxOTI3LjA.

Comment

maybe
                    Thomas Lisbey 1844 then FMP crashed shall keep trying
                    • Thomas Lisbey
                    Jan-Feb-Mar
                    Gloucester, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
                    Mar 1844
                    Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
                    11?
                    Last edited by Guest; 13-02-22, 17:24.

Comment

The one Val found was the only one I found too that was remotely anything like it but that one is ruled out

LISBEY, THOMAS 0
                      GRO Reference: 1844 M Quarter in GLOUCESTER UNION Volume 11 Page 319

Comment

Hmmm! Could it be that it never made it to the GRO?

Comment

Now I am right royally stumped
                          I’ve been through the Gloucestershire online index for every Thomas or Tom who died 1844 +/-2 years and nothing. Same with the Warwickshire online index. I couldn’t do it Worcestershire as you have to fill in all your own details. There doesn’t seem to be a search facility.
                          I’ve also been on ancestry version of GRO death index 1837-1915 for all surnames beginning with L in 4Q 1843 and 1844 1Q and 2Q. I scanned for Thomas and Tom and even Male but absolutely zilch to be found apart from the one Val found but which turned out to be a baby. Gloucestershire online index confirmed the wee soul died aged 3 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                            Hmmm! Could it be that it never made it to the GRO?
                            Maybe but you’d think it would be in the local indexes. The only thing I can think of now is to phone Worcestershire registration service and ask them to check their local indexes for him in 4Q 1843 and 1Q and 2Q 1844.
                            Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-02-22, 18:29.

Comment

Flicking through the pages, there is an Elizabeth Biddle (infant) of Shipston Union buried 20 Apr 1844, and her death can be found no problem in the Shipston on Stour Registration District

However, on the same page as Thomas Lively is Hannah Harris of Shipston Union buried 7 Feb and she also can't be found in the GRO/FreeBMD indexes, although there is an Eliza Harris aged 6.

So either two deaths failed to be registered, or the curate got two names wrong, or Thomas's burial is correct but his death is wrongly registered as John!

Comment

Hmm baffling!!! Thanks everyone - guess I can't find his YOB at the moment!

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                  Flicking through the pages, there is an Elizabeth Biddle (infant) of Shipston Union buried 20 Apr 1844, and her death can be found no problem in the Shipston on Stour Registration District

However, on the same page as Thomas Lively is Hannah Harris of Shipston Union buried 7 Feb and she also can't be found in the GRO/FreeBMD indexes, although there is an Eliza Harris aged 6.

So either two deaths failed to be registered, or the curate got two names wrong, or Thomas's burial is correct but his death is wrongly registered as John!
                                  I wonder if he was known to the informant as Tom and the registrar had terrible handwriting so it’s been indexed as John. I’d still phone Worcester registration service though and get them to check.
                                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-02-22, 20:14.

Comment

This marriage in 1791. Was it to Sarah ANDERTON? There’s loads of trees on ancestry which have this man born 1766 but not found any source in the first few apart from 1841 census. I took another look at the burial record in Blockley 1844 and there’s no age given for him in the burial register BUT these trees have him dying in Stratford upon Avon Reg Dist. in 1837. This is wrong as that man was not nearly old enough to have been born c.1766.
                                    Some have him dying in 1844 right enough but ancestry gives a few places in USA yet when you click , the death place is England as it should be!
                                    Even those trees with the death date of 1844 and who list sources are not accurate. They all have the Blockley burial but in every one the other source is the same 1837 death listed below. The inaccuracy is astounding!
                                    I’ve been through the first two pages - 30 trees.
                                    Some trees having making twice. 2nd wife Mary NEAL in 1802. Is this the same info you have?

LIVELY, THOMAS 22
                                    GRO Reference: 1837 D Quarter in STRATFORD ON AVON Volume 16 Page 313
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-02-22, 20:48.

Comment

Galloway you must have seen the one I saw who died over 100 years old hmmmmmmmmm, you would think the owner of that tree would know better.
                                      Last edited by Guest; 14-02-22, 11:25.

Comment

Galloway / Val - I try not to look at other people's tree's too much because of this - a lot of people just copy and paste!!

Yes the marriage is to Sarah Anderton (I haven't looked up a 2nd marriage)!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X