Robert Joseph Staniford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Joseph Staniford

Wandering around my family tree while shut in one more time with covid warnings I thought I would look at my close Staniford relations. Robert Joseph Staniford was born 5 April 1895 in Brimpton, Berks. to David Staniford and Esther Arlott. He was the youngest of four children. In 1901 he is with his mother in Brimpton. In 1911 he is a hall boy for the Countess of Macclesfield at Bletchington Park, Oxford. On 11 Jan 1913 a Robert Joseph Staniford , age 17 was buried in Brimpton, Berks. BUT there is no listing for a death in freebmd. I was wondering if someone with a newspaper subscription could check to see if anything is reported in the newspapers in Oxford about the death. I've looked up the various different spellings that I can think of to see if his death was recorded under another name. Right now I'm thinking the shock of losing the youngest meant the paperwork was forgotten about. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Hi, can't find anything in the newspapers nor his death registration anywhere.

Looked to see if Esther remarried and he was buried under her new name but that was a no. She is still there in 1921 census and up to 1927 on electoral rolls,

Let's hope someone has some more ideas, Sorry.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I can see nothing in any newspaper.

Comment

Hi Nelde,

As he worked for a big house, is it possible that he died in Scotland? Or abroad?

If so, he may been buried in 1913 but died earlier before being returned home?

bcbrit
        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

thanks for all your searchings. If no newspaper reports then I will not be able to determine why he died. Maybe he did die abroad so no english death cert required. But the family could not afford to ship his body home.
          Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

Originally posted by Nelde View Post
            Wandering around my family tree while shut in one more time with covid warnings I thought I would look at my close Staniford relations. Robert Joseph Staniford was born 5 April 1895 in Brimpton, Berks. to David Staniford and Esther Arlott. He was the youngest of four children. In 1901 he is with his mother in Brimpton. In 1911 he is a hall boy for the Countess of Macclesfield at Bletchington Park, Oxford. On 11 Jan 1913 a Robert Joseph Staniford , age 17 was buried in Brimpton, Berks. BUT there is no listing for a death in freebmd. I was wondering if someone with a newspaper subscription could check to see if anything is reported in the newspapers in Oxford about the death. I've looked up the various different spellings that I can think of to see if his death was recorded under another name. Right now I'm thinking the shock of losing the youngest meant the paperwork was forgotten about. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
            wonder if there are any clues searching for the family in the papers, I can't find the 1911 census with him on only John David, can youpost the link?

Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Don't know how to post a link. Search for robert joseph stanford (without the i) born Brimpton age 16. He is with Mary Frances Dow age 29 (in the ancestry version) Wonder if Mary Frances Parker nee Grovenor, the dowager countess of Macclesfield, age 89 would think of that listing. John David, the footman at the Earl's establishment, is Robert's older brother. I can see from ancestry the Reg. District is 154, the ED is01 and the piece is 8155. Interesting that two young fellows from Brimpton got such exciting jobs far from home. Their uncle William was a tenant farmer for the Duke of Wellington, maybe that was connection that got them their position. A fun finding for this day.
              Donelda

Comment

Looking at newspapers for the Dowager Countess of Macclesfield - the queen visited her on Feb 1st 1910, I wonder if young Robert was working there at that time. It appears that she was renting Bletchington House having left Shirburn Castle on the marriage of her grandson in 1909. She died on 2 Jan 1912 aged 90 and had been a lady in waiting to Queen Alexandra.

Maybe your lad was employed by another member of this aristocratic family afterwards, if he died abroad in their service they may have paid for his body to be repatriated. It seems she had eight sons and four daughters still living at the time of her death.

This is Robert in 1911
                Last edited by Jill on the A272; 05-02-22, 06:36. Reason: link

Comment

Don't know how to post a link. Search for robert joseph stanford (without the i) born Brimpton age 16. He is with Mary Frances Dow age 29 (in the ancestry version) Wonder if Mary Frances Parker nee Grovenor, the dowager countess of Macclesfield, age 89 would think of that listing. John David, the footman at the Earl's establishment, is Robert's older brother. I can see from ancestry the Reg. District is 154, the ED is01 and the piece is 8155. Interesting that two young fellows from Brimpton got such exciting jobs far from home. Their uncle William was a tenant farmer for the Duke of Wellington, maybe that was connection that got them their position. A fun finding for this day.
                  I assumed it was the brother, feel the name is unusual enough for it to be very likley if younger brother elsewhere in the family

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                  Looking at newspapers for the Dowager Countess of Macclesfield - the queen visited her on Feb 1st 1910, I wonder if young Robert was working there at that time. It appears that she was renting Bletchington House having left Shirburn Castle on the marriage of her grandson in 1909. She died on 2 Jan 1912 aged 90 and had been a lady in waiting to Queen Alexandra.

Maybe your lad was employed by another member of this aristocratic family afterwards, if he died abroad in their service they may have paid for his body to be repatriated. It seems she had eight sons and four daughters still living at the time of her death.

This is Robert in 1911
                  does seem a likely theory, I didn't search the papers for the countess. Wonder if there is an MI?

Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

The newspaper article about her will says she leaves legacies to the servants - wonder if your man gets a mention?

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 10.01.43.png
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I wonder what her sons Cecil, Algernon and Edmund had done to annoy her so much that they got much less than the rest of their siblings?
                      Definitely worth getting the whole will while it’s still £1.50.

Comment

He died in Scotland. Possible that his employer was on a holiday in the Highlands and paid for his body to be sent home for burial?
                        The death is only the 3rd one in the registration district for that year so it fits with the burial info in Brimpton.
                        STANIFORD ROBERT JOSEPH 17 ARLOTT 1913 275/ 3 Brechin
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 05-02-22, 09:40.

Comment

Good find GallowayLass

Comment

Well done GL. I thing the family he was working for had him brought home. Another mystery solved!!
                            Lin

Comment

Well done GL. I thing the family he was working for had him brought home. Another mistery solved!!

Looks like the will ordering service is still having maintenance done on it. Should have re opened on Thursday.
                              Lin

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                I wonder what her sons Cecil, Algernon and Edmund had done to annoy her so much that they got much less than the rest of their siblings?
                                Definitely worth getting the whole will while it’s still £1.50.
                                yes could be interesting. Cecil et al - might have been getting money from elsewhere, they do seem to think about who had less in some of these wills

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                He died in Scotland. Possible that his employer was on a holiday in the Highlands and paid for his body to be sent home for burial?
                                The death is only the 3rd one in the registration district for that year so it fits with the burial info in Brimpton.
                                STANIFORD ROBERT JOSEPH 17 ARLOTT 1913 275/ 3 Brechin
                                ahh mystery solved, will see if there is any mention in papers later, now that I can concentrate on an area

Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

OMG.... just got up and doing my stretching exercises while catching up on the computer.... and there is his death. How does one go about ordering a death cert from Scotland. I'm interested in cause of death. Thank you Galloway.
                                  Donelda

Comment

Nelde You can purchase and download instantly from scotlandspeople.gov.uk as 1913 is considered a historical death event. You register on the site and purchase a bundle of credit. The minimum is 30 credits for £7.50. If you are careful with your searching, this will get you 5 birth, marriage or death certificates or census images. The search results are free and the certs cost 6 credits each.
                                    If you have no need of any other Scottish certs then instead of spending £7.50 pm me your email and I’ll take a look for you as I’ve got plenty credit at the moment.
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 05-02-22, 17:08. Reason: Oops! Quoted old prices. Have fixed it.

Comment

Thank you Galloway. I will attempt to send you a pm and at the same time donate to family tree forum. But having trouble with logging in with husband's account.
                                      Donelda

Comment

Thank you Galloway. I will attempt to send you a pm and at the same time donate to family tree forum. But having trouble with logging in with husband's account.
                                        If pm doesn’t work, my email is in my profile somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                        X