Visiting your ancestral towns and places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
    could she have donated them to a family history society/archive type place?
    possible family threw them out when she passed. My own grandma had an extensive archive that disappeared when she died. I have the surviving folders, but remember finding many bits and pieces in my teenage years that have not seen since. My aunts have also mentioned various relatives throwing out "old" things with names and faces they didn't recognise when clearing (looting) grandma's house.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

My great-aunt put together an amazing family tree pre-online records. She didn't make it back to the old country (Donegal and Scotland), but she gathered records from across Canada and into the US. When I was putting her tree into my tree, and verifying what she had done, the records came up over and over proving what she had done. I only had her tree, not the records she had found. I've wondered where her research file went, but apparently the direct descendants don't have it.
      After all great aunts work sad the file no longer available. I must remember to te!l my daughter not to throw my bits out so that g/ nephew who has interest in tree can can have them if he wishes. Daughter not interested in family tree but likes to hear family stories. My sadness is lack of photos held by late brother that have now been lost, although I requested copies for the tree

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

could she have donated them to a family history society/archive type place?
        Probably, maybe? She lived in Ontario, she distributed the family tree to several branches. The tree does have some short notes, and from that, I believe she did a lot of letter writing to other people. When I visited in 2019, her daughter-in-law let me peruse the box that remained, but didn't have much new info. I suspect she was active in her genealogy society branch - there are very active groups in Canada that have really compiled a bunch of records.

I suppose another possibility - she was really good at compiling research done by others? But I don't think there was another active researcher on her paternal Scottish side.
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-12-21, 15:14.

Comment

Working...
        X