Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Jarvis, Yorkshire

Going round in circles with this one.

I have an ancestor, Joseph Jarvis born c1856 in Thorpe Hesley / Wentworth, Yorkshire and I'm trying to trace his parents. He came too late for the 1851 census and by 1861, he wasn't with his parents.

On the 1861 census he is listed as a grandson, living in Thorpe, Kimberworth with George and Mary Marsden. They must be maternal grandparents.

On the 1871 census he is also listed as living with George and Mary Marsden.

In 1851, I searched that family and they had 3 daughters, Mary, Sarah and Fanny. 4 doors away was a family with Mark, Ann and Charles Jarvis (born c1832)

I have then found a marriage index entry for Charles Jarvis and Mary Marsden married in 1852. All fits. I don't however have any of the backing information behind that without ordering the certificate and waiting 6 weeks! I need to confirm whether this is Mark's son born c1832

Mary Jarvis looks like she died 6 Jun 1856, which would explain why Joseph was with granparents, though I expected to also find his father dead, but can't.

I then have a marriage for Charles b1832 (father Mark) to Emma Eyre. On the document he is shown as 'widower'.

My main issue is that there are a number of Charles Jarvis' born at a similar time in the same place. Their father's were all brothers. I have tried to trace each one and who they married but it's sending me daft. If the one marrying Emma Eyre as a widower is the same on that married Mary Marsden, it would all fit (barring the fact that Charles seemingly dumped his child on thr grandparents and went on to marry again)

Not sure if you have searched using MMN see some hints here
    https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...aiden-name-mmn it should maybe help pairing the children to parents.

this must be Joseph - registered as Joe from GRO

JARVIS, JOE MARSDEN
    GRO Reference: 1856 M Quarter in ROTHERHAM Volume 09C Page 414

JARVIS, ANNE MARIA MARSDEN
    GRO Reference: 1854 S Quarter in ROTHERHAM Volume 09C Page 388

there is this one with MMN eyre
    JARVIS, EMILY EYRE
    GRO Reference: 1859 J Quarter in ROTHERHAM Volume 09C Page 443

JARVIS, CHARLES HENRY BENNETT
    GRO Reference: 1863 M Quarter in ROTHERHAM Volume 09C Page 454
    - possible death in 1866

JARVIS, CHARLES WILLIAM -
    GRO Reference: 1862 J Quarter in ROTHERHAM Volume 09C Page 440
    - possible death in 1890

Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks for the link, it will certainly help.

For the top two, I was more or less certain that they had MMN Marsden, because the grandparents they were living with were also Marsden.

I just cannot find a parish marriage entry for the one between Charles Jarvis and Mary Marsden in 1852, that confirms it's the same guy that married Emma Eyre. Most of the marriages from that parish I have managed to find the full transcript with both father's names and who were witnesses.

Comment

1871 Census from family search

Charles Jarvis 39
        Emma 36
        Emily 11
        Frank 7
        Living in Brightside Yorkshire Frank mmn Eyre born Sheffield

1881 has Emily aged 21 F?S in a pub in Halifax

These are all free to look at.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Charles and Emma are on 1881 and 1891 census in Brighside/ Sheffield.
          Lin

Comment

Think about it - Charles is widowed, still has to work, so who is going to look after his infant son? He wouldn't have 'dumped' him as you put it - his late wife's parents took him on. In such situations, when a father remarries said child often then goes back to his father and new wife but often there is a strong bond between child and grandparents and the child stays with them.

As to the two marriages - yes, it is the same man, father Mark Jarvis on both counts. Marriage to Mary Marsden (dau. of George) was by banns on 5/8/1852 Rotherham, marriage to Emma Eyre was by licence 24/8/1858 Wentworth.

Comment

I should add that I eventually found the 1852 marriage by searching with Mary Marsden's name - found out that Charles' surname had been transcribed as 'Tarvis'.

Comment

Anette, brilliant.....thankyou. That 'Tarvis' record is the one I needed that linked it together.

Now I know that Mark is the father of Charles, I have a record that has both Mark's father and grandfather on.

Comment

Well done Anette. I had a brick wall for years and one day decided to use the female name and there it was.

Worth remembering.
                  Lin

Comment

Working...
                  X