Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marriage look up please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Marriage look up please

    Hello, I am trying to find a marriage for Isaac Coventry b. 1794 Chalgrove, Oxfordshire to Mary ?? born around 1796 according to her death registration. Their 1st child was born in Holton, Oxfordshire 1831 so I have been assuming they married in Oxfordshire. The family were in Wargrave by 1835. Mary died in in Wargrave, Berkshire 1838.
    I've tried Ancestry and FMP but just can't get anything!

    Any help appreciated.

    Thanks

    Tessie

    #2
    Not having much luck. On 1851 Census there is Emma Coventry daughter with him. Have looked her up and MMN is Wells. Still can't find anything. Mary could have been married before though.

    Lin

    Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

    Comment


      #3
      In the 1841 census Isaac is with Martha and Mary - daughters - no sign of his wife.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

      Comment


        #4
        Not much help but there is a burial for a Mary Coventry on the 19 Dec 1838 in Wargrave. Lists her birth as 1794.
        Oops - you already had that - sorry.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
          Not having much luck. On 1851 Census there is Emma Coventry daughter with him. Have looked her up and MMN is Wells. Still can't find anything. Mary could have been married before though.
          Forgot about doing that so Wells is Mary's MMN at least!

          Comment


            #6
            Looks like it Tessie but couldn't find a Coventry / Wells marriage but wondered it she had been married before as they were reasonably old when the first child was born.
            Lin

            Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

            Comment


              #7
              Oxfordshire Archives has an 1833 quarter sessions removal record for the couple, so if you're lucky there may be an examination somewhere:

              Order to remove Isaac Coventry, his wife Mary am their child, from Holton to Wargrove, Buckinghamshire - Reference QS1833/1/A6/15

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by teasie View Post
                Oxfordshire Archives has an 1833 quarter sessions removal record for the couple, so if you're lucky there may be an examination somewhere:

                Order to remove Isaac Coventry, his wife Mary am their child, from Holton to Wargrove, Buckinghamshire - Reference QS1833/1/A6/15
                What does that mean - never come across this before?

                Tessie

                Comment


                  #9
                  It generally means that they became chargeable to the parish (ie the family was in hardship), so they were removed to the parish deemed to be financially responsible for them, in this case Wargrove. Before removal there was usually a settlement examination to establish which parish this was.

                  This may help explain better: https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/se...%20if%20needed..

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by teasie View Post
                    It generally means that they became chargeable to the parish (ie the family was in hardship), so they were removed to the parish deemed to be financially responsible for them, in this case Wargrove. Before removal there was usually a settlement examination to establish which parish this was.

                    This may help explain better: https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/se...%20if%20needed..
                    Thanks, I'll take a look and see if I can find settlement examination somewhere

                    Comment


                      #11
                      A lot of the London ones are online but I haven't seen many for anywhere else. If they've survived they're generally tucked away in archives somewhere, and usually not indexed individually in the catalogue. .

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I have seen a removal order for Nottingham but it was only available at the archives. I did see it but as it wasn't a close relation didn't pay for a copy.

                        I know they also have them at Derbyshire Archives.
                        Lin

                        Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by teasie View Post
                          A lot of the London ones are online but I haven't seen many for anywhere else. If they've survived they're generally tucked away in archives somewhere, and usually not indexed individually in the catalogue. .
                          Ah ok, can you link me to the removal order you found Teasie? Thanks

                          Comment


                            #14
                            https://apps2.oxfordshire.gov.uk/srv...earch?offset=0

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X