rank or profession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rank or profession

This is a birth cert from 1848 and I can decipher all but the Fathers Profession. It is TRAIN ????
    The little i know about the family includes his death in 1858 killed by swinging on a tram plate hung on a door,and his father was involved in coupling uncoupling
    trains at a foundery.
    Brian

Callaghan Jeremiah b-c.jpg
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

I think the profession looks like two words, first word 'Engine'. 2nd is possibly 'Station'?

Comment

2nd word could be 'stoking' maybe

Comment

perhaps engine stoker???
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I think it says Engine stationary (as apposed to a moving engine)

I did wonder if it said engine tenter (someone who minds an engine)

Anne

Comment

I thought the second word was striker but I can’t find that as an old occupation in mining or foundry work. The censuses are no help as Den(n)is is either a labourer or labourer in iron foundry.

Comment

Stationary engines were used in iron foundries so could well be that.

We live near a disused ironworks and OH's family worked there and some of them had Engine drivers static on documents.
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I thought it said "engine starter"

Comment

Engine stationry (sic). Abbreviated for stationary. I have an ancestor who was a stationary engine operator, but occasionally described as a driver.

Comment

comparing letters and style with the rest of the document i lean to static(k)
                    The s as in collins mothers maiden name
                    the t as in first and registrar
                    the a as in surname Callaghan
                    the i as in engine
                    the c and last letter K??? are a guess and would mean misspelling static
                    The father Dennis died i22/6/1861 at a foundry in Blaina when a portion of the furnace collapsed where he worked as a hot blast man.
                    The same foundry is where this child , Jeremiah died in 1858 age 10 and also it took the life of another of Dennis's children which I am yet to research
                    Thanks everyone for your input and if i get confirmation of his occupation i will post it.
                    Brian
                    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

I can't really see the "k", but it's a pity there isn't another example of the letter to compare.
                      Either way, at least you know what the machinery was.

Comment

pinefamily
                        The last marking in the title could be a k or a b and there are no other letters to compare with and neither make the name any clearer.
                        I will go with what i have at present until something clearer, maybe from another childs BC , comes up.
                        Brian

Comment

Working...
                        X