Initials on a Burial Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initials on a Burial Record

Can any tell me what the initials M E O T in the place column on a burial record stand for please.

Margaret
    Margaret

If it's in the London area then Mile End Old Town? (I have ancestors from there)

Comment

Thank you Jill, yes it was for St. Dunstans in Stepney a whole swathe of my husband's ancestors are from Mile End.
      Margaret

Comment

That's the church where mine were baptized, they lived in Commercial Road, Stepney.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
          That's the church where mine were baptized, they lived in Commercial Road, Stepney.
          Snap! The names I've got so far are Milton, Elliott (lace makers), Jermyn (Hairdresser) and just discovered Clarinda Hardcastle.
          Margaret

Comment

When I saw your post about Clarinda HARDCASTLE yesterday I got quite excited. I also have a Clarinda H. and it's the first time I've ever found a connection to anyone on this forum albeit a tenuous one through marriage. I then spent several hours yesterday & today trying to find a relationship & have concluded that my Clarinda was the illegitimate daughter of your Clarinda & Henry JERMYN or possibly just Clarinda although there is nothing in the online trees that show this.
            Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
              When I saw your post about Clarinda HARDCASTLE yesterday I got quite excited. I also have a Clarinda H. and it's the first time I've ever found a connection to anyone on this forum albeit a tenuous one through marriage. I then spent several hours yesterday & today trying to find a relationship & have concluded that my Clarinda was the illegitimate daughter of your Clarinda & Henry JERMYN or possibly just Clarinda although there is nothing in the online trees that show this.
              How exciting, this is my husband's side of the family, Clarinda Hardcastle (c1801) married Henry James Jermyn (c1791) in 1825, so far I have found nine children but no Clarinda (I'm not very competent at searching the older records), the next Clarinda that I have is Clarinda Mary Milton (1857) (her mother was Elizabeth Edith Jermyn). Clarinda Hardcastle and Henry James Jermyn are my husband's great, great, great grandparents.
              Margaret

Comment

To be fair my Clarinda is not very visible. I was trying to prove that my 2xg-gf's sister was the stepmother of Robert BASS who married 'plain' Clarinda in Ipswich in 1844. They have 2 children Mary Ann Clarinda in 1845 & Robert Joseph in 1848 and then cholera kills Robert Sen. in 1849.

In 1841 a Clarinda is a barmaid in Ipswich, not born in county.

In 1851 the widowed Clarinda S BASS is living at the address mentioned in the newspaper report about her husband's death. She is with her 2 children and running a day school, born London Middlesex.

I can't find Clarinda in 1861 but daughter Mary is a servant in Hackney & Robert is with his step grannie in Ipswich.

Mary marries in 1867 & brother Robert is a witness. 3 days later Clarinda Sophia marries William HOLMES, she's a widow & her father is Henry Jermyn. George Ilsley Jermyn is a witness.

Your Clarinda marries Henry JERMYN in 1825 & the only Clarinda Sophia baptism I can find is in 1821 at St George Middx to William & Clarinda which I think is a bit of a porkie pie.
                Glen

Comment

George Ilsley Jermyn (1858) is the son of George Ilsley Jermyn (c1829). George (c1829) married Betsey Watson in 1849, I haven't yet got a marriage for George (1858). It's all very confusing isn't it. I haven't ....yet .... got a Clarinda Sophia in the tree, perhaps she will surface later. George (1858) is my husbands 1st cousin three times removed! I've got a Henry James Jermyn (1850) but so far no marriage for him so no children, according to the 1881 Census he was aged 30 and unm so it would be quite a late marriage.
                  Margaret

Comment

I would think the George Ilsley on Clarinda's marriage is her brother born 1829. She must be part of that family, else why would she say Henry JERMYN was her father & George be a witness?
                    Glen

Comment

Like you say they must be part of the same family, Clarinda must be a very unusual name, that is the only family that I have found it in. So does that mean that in some weird and wonderful way you and my husband are sort of related through marriages, I must admit that I'm getting a bit lost trying to work all of this out.
                      Margaret

Comment

I am blood related to Clarinda's first husband's stepmother but not to the husband.
                        Glen

Comment

That sounds complicated to work out!
                          Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X