How do I find a Parish register?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find a Parish register?

I have realised that there is a gap in my knowledge here (one of many). I am trying to find the marriage of someone to find the wife's maiden name. I have looked in all the usual places and have the information below but both of the wives mentioned on the page are called Mary Ann so I think I need to see the original register to find out which one married Edward.

But where do I search to find an image of the actual register? Or have I overlooked something?
    Edward Barton Barber
    Marriage
    West Ashford, Kent, England
    West Ashford
    Kent
    Oct-Nov-Dec
    2A
    Mary Ann Anderson
    Mary Ann Dawson
    Nathanael Pack
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

A quick way - if your couple had children, look for the birth registrations which will give mother's maiden name.

OC

Comment

Ah, of course! Why didn't I think of that ?

But in general, how and where would I look for that parish marriage register?
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Hi Gardengirl,

I used ancestry and looked for Nathaniel Pack. In the 1861 census he was mistranscribed as Pluck !

I then looked up his first and large child from the 1861 census, on the GRO site. Both children have a mmn as Dawson.

So it looks likely that Edward Barton Barber married Mary Ann Anderson.

Hope that helps.

bcbrit

George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

I am no expert either, but do know parish registers images are in various places, or nowhere!

EG Essex registers are still with the Essex archives and you have to pay them, lots are with Ancestry and FMP.

Familysearch have lots - learnt from here that you go to search --> catalog

I think something like GENUKI may tell you, or google for particular register.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Different counties are represented (or sadly not!) on different websites. You need to check the main ones to see what their databases hold. For example Ancestry are excellent on much of West Yorkshire but you need FindMyPast for north and east and also the Sheffield area. Lord help you if you want Bedfordshire as there are no images online at all!

You were wanting Kent (and I'm sure someone will help me here) but I think they are one of the ones which have a website of their own.

Alternatively I think most counties have a Family History Society and they quite often produce CDs of records for their area for you to buy. They may also run a lookup service on email.

Anne

Comment

Thanks all. After my first post I remembered that I belong to the Kent FHS so I have emailed them too. If anyone’s going to know where to look they should !

I’ll let you know

Comment

Luckily the Bedfordshire FHS do a lookup service. I needed details of an alleged marriage in 1824 but there weren't even any transcriptions online. A number of Ancestry trees had a specific date and place but their source was (you've guessed it!) 'Ancestry Trees'. Lots of others claimed it wasn't even in Bedfordshire. I wasn't prepared to use any of that suspect information and thought about emailing the Archive but they are closed . Then I remembered the BFHS which I used to belong to. An email reply came quite quickly ...... and YESSSS! It was the marriage I was looking for with the bride's brother as a witness.

That single look up together with a number of DNA matches has broken a major block in my tree! Very excited!
                Anne

Comment

Also, remember that not all marriages were church marriages. Many of mine were nonconformists and married in the registryoffice. Fortunately, Lancashire has a very good bmd site which gives bride's name.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Also, remember that not all marriages were church marriages. Many of mine were nonconformists and married in the registryoffice. Fortunately, Lancashire has a very good bmd site which gives bride's name.

OC
                    the registrar at MK used to always correct everyone and say it was the register office and not the registry office....I never knew why....but she wasn't the sort of person you argued with! She has since retired....
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Funny how different areas have different ways. I have always called them registration offices

Comment

Is it part of medway? Which has their own site. Alternatively, i think fmp or ancestry has kent records?

Comment

Ha! I have always called them the Register Office but was corrected on here and told it is the Registry Office!

OC

Comment

I had various replies from the KentFHS group - all arriving at the same conclusion via different routes, mainly using OldCrone's method of looking for the MMN on the children’s birth registrations at the GRO.

One man flagged up this website https://webapps.kent.gov.uk/KCC.ROIS...s/Default.aspx which enables you to search for the groom and the two brides and compare the reference numbers.

So lots of alternative routes

Comment

And I was told by a deputy registrar that it was the registrar's office! At that time, she worked out of an office located in the offices of a local solicitors' practice. It was all part time back then, open three mornings a week and also on Saturdays for marriages only.The registrar and his deputies were all members of the practice.
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I remember the quite heated arguments about the terminology when we were first sorting out the reference library/wiki!!

When you google, they offer both and then the official site uses register office: https://www.gov.uk/register-offices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regist...nited_Kingdom) - points out the difference as well

On the other hand, West Sussex uses Registration apart from Crawley: https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/find-m...ration-office/
                                Caroline
                                Caroline's Family History Pages
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

opened a can of worms now....interesting. I think I used to call it registry, but after Sharon telling me it was in her stern tone - it has stayed with me!

I guess both Ancestry and FMP add images as they get a deal - or even an offer. It was FMP boast in the early days that they had more.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser 23 October 1852

Oct 12 at Smarden, Mr E. B. Barber, grocer &c., Canterbury, to Miss Mary Ann Anderson, youngest daughter of Thomas Anderson, of Smarden, glazier &c.

Comment

Thanks, Teasie, I hadn't looked in the newspapers yet. Was that from FMP?

Comment

Working...
                                      X