Family Tree Magazine Online September Conference FREE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Tree Magazine Online September Conference FREE

Save the date! We are pleased to announce the second Family Tree Academy online conference, in association with FamilySearch.

The Family Tree Academy: Morning Conference will be held online on 14th, 15th and 16th September 2020, starting 10am daily.

https://www.family-tree.co.uk/news/f...ng-conference/

My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Join us for the second Family Tree Academy Conference, in association with FamilySearch
    14-17 September 2020

Set to take place over four days, with many of the sessions beginning in the morning (don't worry if you're in a different timezone, many of the presentations will be available to view online via the Family Tree website), topics to be covered include:
    - Dive into the records and resources on FamilySearch
    - Behind the scenes at Granite Mountain
    - Plus three exclusive expert webinars:

Tuesday 15th September at 11.30am: Working with DNA for family history with Michelle Leonard
    Wednesday 16th September at 11.30am: Setting up and keeping organised family history files with Jackie Depelle
    Thursday 17th September at 11.30am: Dating and understanding Victorian family photos with Jayne Shrimpton

Helen Tovey, editor for Family Tree ‘We’re really looking forward to the second Family Tree Academy conference. We’d love you to join us for the free video presentations as we discover ways to dig deeper into our family history, in particular finding out more about the many ways the FamilySearch website can help us trace records and build out our trees further.”

For further details
    All conference details can be found here: http://familytr.ee/Sepconf
    Helen Tovey, Editor of Family Tree magazine on helen.t@family-tree.co.uk

Comment

I have just been looking at the recent email about this event and was dismayed to see that the webinars are £10 each!

I understand that it costs money to put on something like this but if 1000 people, or even just a few hundred people, sign up for a webinar at £10 a head that generates a lot of revenue! And that’s just one of three available. Does it really cost this much to deliver an online webinar? Or am I just a bit out of touch?

I certainly haven’t got a spare £30 to pay to sit in front of my computer for a few hours when there is so much information freely available on line.
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I guess it’s all about balance and what you consider value for money, £10 is a little bit more than a PDF Certificate but less than a full certificate and depends on what you might want to choose to learn. All three speakers are experts in their fields, I have had the pleasure of seeing Michele speak on a number of occasions and she is an excellent speaker and one of the best in the field of DNA, I have even used her expertise on a personal level myself, so can certainly say she is a genuine expert.

Jayne is also the first name you think of with regards dating photographs and again head and shoulders above anybody else in the field and Jayne has helped me with some key leads from photographs that I have sent to her, details that I would not have been able to identify myself.

Jackie is also a legend in the family history field and again another excellent speaker, so I guess it’s what you choose to spend your £10 on. Of course there are lots of free material available online, is it of the same quality? I’m not so sure........

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
          I guess it’s all about balance and what you consider value for money, £10 is a little bit more than a PDF Certificate but less than a full certificate and depends on what you might want to choose to learn. All three speakers are experts in their fields, I have had the pleasure of seeing Michele speak on a number of occasions and she is an excellent speaker and one of the best in the field of DNA, I have even used her expertise on a personal level myself, so can certainly say she is a genuine expert.

Jayne is also the first name you think of with regards dating photographs and again head and shoulders above anybody else in the field and Jayne has helped me with some key leads from photographs that I have sent to her, details that I would not have been able to identify myself.

Jackie is also a legend in the family history field and again another excellent speaker, so I guess it’s what you choose to spend your £10 on. Of course there are lots of free material available online, is it of the same quality? I’m not so sure........
          £10 f0r one may not sound much and they are well-known speakers in their fields, but there are so many zoom talks now it gets much too expensive. I'm already signed up for two in November with the SoG and have recently done 3 with them. Two other conferences during lockdown have turned out to be basic advertising, pushing their own products, so it is hard to decide which to participate in.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

Comment

I have attended two free talks during lockdown and paid to attend a day event where there were 4 speakers. The total cost of the day was $US 25 the equivalent of just under £19. I don’t have anything else in the past to compare this against but it makes £10 per talk seem a lot.

Comment

My point really is that it seems a lot relative to the cost of putting on the event. As Paul says, on the face of it £10 might not be much compared to the cost of a certificate, BUT £10 x 500 people x 2 or 3 sessions each is a huge profit margin! There are no venue hire costs etc and even the best top class professional speaker doesn't charge that much per hour, surely?

Anyway, FT magazine have done their figures and it's not for me to argue the point but I won't be paying for the webinars.
              Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Do they release them afterwards, I see there are a lot of videos that are available if you subscribe, I know you can't ask questions as no longer live, but £48 looks like a lot better value, including the magazine
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

https://www.family-tree.co.uk/virtua...nce-programme/

I'm going to have a look at the free ones about using Family Search today/tomorrow.

I've just signed up for the (free) wool talk for OFHS members.
                  Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                    https://www.family-tree.co.uk/virtua...nce-programme/

I'm going to have a look at the free ones about using Family Search today/tomorrow.

I've just signed up for the (free) wool talk for OFHS members.
                    I gave up yesterday with the FamilySearch one and then again today, but you can still see it if you want to. It's a brief guide to what they have on the site. I may go back and dip in and out.
                    I hope it is a different presenter for today's offering. :(
                    Caroline

Comment

FamilySearch Tutorial Day Two

https://www.family-tree.co.uk/virtua...orial-day-two/

Discover how to learn more about your British and Irish ancestors in this video. Presentations will cover:
                      • Church of England records
                      • English Nonconformist records
                      • Catholic parish registers in Ireland
                      3 different speakers. Almost impossible yesterday and today to hear the questions/answers from the audience when they were presumably recorded. I've given up again.
                      Caroline

Comment

That all sounds a bit disappointing :-(

Comment

FamilySearch Tutorial Day Three - This video will include presentations on graveyard, burial and probate records

I've only dipped in so far but this one is far easier to follow although it ended rather abruptly!! I'll go back and watch it properly over my coffee later on.

Q &A session is on FB at 12.30 - https://www.facebook.com/familytreemaguk/
                          Caroline

Comment

Thanks for the link. Hopefully get round to it later.

Comment

Working...
                            X