ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ancestry

ancestry just offered me a 14 day free trial If I accept will I be able to view all the trees that are not linked to their DNA? I have a lot of dna matches not linked to their trees and I am sure I can work out their connections if they were only to answer me or show me their trees

Yes, if the trial is the same as a normal membership you'll be able to see the 'unattached' trees. Mostly they are disappointing though, with many of them only have less than 10 people, or everyone private!! Also beware of the unattached tree that does not have the person whose DNA test it is one it . Some are helpful though and you can get the clues you need.

Comment

its a shame there are so many that have tested but not attached to a tree

Comment

I guess they've been given the test as a present and don't really know what to do with the result, or don't even care. I have been successful in working out some relatively close matches with no trees (say around 100 centimorgans) if they have a less common name and share matches with some of my other matches. If they are in the UK I can just work back a couple of generations hoping for a familiar name. Very satisfying when you solve the puzzle!
        Anne

Comment

Most people do it for the ethnicity estimates, ancestry doesn't really advertise finding dna matches. Most people don't really care about doing family trees either.

Comment

I decided to take the plunge. Nothing to lose unless I forget to cancel the subscription...I see what you mean about the unlinked trees they really are not worth bothering with. I dont understand why people are so keen to get their ethnicity. surely if you follow your tree you will get your ethnicity anyway. I have managed to reach out to a couple on there as I am able to see the full trees

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
              I dont understand why people are so keen to get their ethnicity..
              It’s because that’s exactly what ancestry’s tv adverts promise you. Do your DNA and you will find out where you came from. Many purchasers and receivers of gift tests will have no idea what else they could do with their DNA results and/or they are not really interested. They see the advert and think it’s just a fun think to know.

Comment

Working...
              X