once, twice removed etc!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• once, twice removed etc!!

Hi all! I can't get my head around working out cousin relationships (I know it doesn't matter but just always baffles me)! On Ancestry I have a 1st cousin 4 x removed - she was born in 1870 and myself in 1982 - how can we be 1st cousins (to add complications she also married my 3rd Great Uncle haha)!?
    If anyone can explain it in easy terms I'd be greatful!
    Tessie

Have a look at this

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks - so according to that chart (unless I'm reading it wrong) this particular cousin is the same gerneration as me? That can't be true as she was born in 1870? What am I missing lol?

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
        Thanks - so according to that chart (unless I'm reading it wrong) this particular cousin is the same gerneration as me? That can't be true as she was born in 1870? What am I missing lol?
        There is a common ancestor when you go backwards, but every generation on is #removed.
        Therefore you have a common ancestor, but she is 4 generations back from you
        Therefore she is a 1st cousin (because of the shared ancestor), but 4x removed, as she is 4 generations away from you

Just remember this
        Feb 7, 2013 - This Pin was discovered by Hannele Koivisto. Discover (and save!) your own Pins on Pinterest

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

So 2nd cousin would be my parents 1st cousin then #removed depending on generation difference, 3rd cousin would be my grandparents cousin etc?

Comment

So first cousins share grandparents, 2nd cousins share great grandparents etc

a "removed" is a decendant from a common ancestor, but not lineally on the same generation.

so a first cousin once removed is a child of your first cousin. You are each a first cousin once removed to each other. Your child and your cousin's child would be second cousins.

​​​​​​a cousin twice removed is your cousin's grandchild.

so this lady is a first cousin of your 2nd great grandparent? Then your great grandparent is once removed, grandparent twice removed, parent 3 times, and you 4 times removed.

Comment

You are 4 generations down from the original relationship of first cousin, that's why 1st cousin, 4 times removed.

Comment

my system is :-

work out your relation to common ancestor
                count the "g"s - greats and grand
                do the same for your cousin

the lowest number of 'g's is the cousin relationship
                the difference is the generations removed

Comment

Thanks everyone - still not sure I will ever get my head around this haha! I'll try though with your help above

Comment

Working...
                  X