No announcement yet.

Can anyone read this please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back after spending a nights sleep dreaming of certs (so whats new) I was thinking Malcolm for Fathers name but then I think OC knows the fathers name already

Still struggling with Margaret's maiden name though and have even started on the names of the witnessess which I am reading as

Donald McCaskill and William ??????? something ending in a Y
    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Lol!

Are you still all at it, hahahaha!

I have everything except the maiden surname.

PILGRIM - very interesting because I THOUGHT it looked a lot like Catternach, but I cannot find that surname anywhere - does it have an English equivalent, do you know?

Her father's name is Malcolm McCaskill, labourer, deceased (never born, never married, never died)
      Mother is Margaret McCaskill, m.s. C*********h, deceased.

Wits are Donald McCaskill (groom's brother) and William Murray.

Thankyou all for your valiant efforts!

OC

Comment

OC.... there was a Malcolm Mccaskill who married a Margaret Bethune don;t know if you have checked that out???

As for Catternach with that spelling there is only one on the whole of Scotlands People and thats in the 1861 census so their must be another way of spelling it.

Just off to put washing in machine... back soon :D

Comment

Shaz

I think I discounted the Margaret Bethune marriage, but can't remember why now - I will back track!

Somewhere else on this tree I have a John Catto (not on this line) and wondered if Catteneach/Catternack could render down to Catto? Not that that helps cos there isn't a Margaret Catto anywhere, either!

Slightly off topic, there is a post on GR - some poor soul trying to make sense of Scottish personal names, a la Clan Mac-something. I wish him lots of luck with that!

I have just been reading up on Highland personal names - they change on every occasion and your personal name depends who you are talking to, or who is talking about you. How anyone could possibly use these personal names for tracking family history I do not know!

OC

Comment

Well I have looked again this morning with fresh eyes and I am blowed if I can see a C. I reckon it is Betto(n,m or w)s.
            Last edited by Lyn A; 13-01-08, 17:47.

Comment

Hmmm...just found a site which opines that Cattenich is really Kil, or Kirkpatrick, lol.

Lynn

The capital C which looks like a B, is formed in exactly the same was as the C in Malcolm McCaskill's surname, with the bottom of the C coming up to meet itself in the middle. (That's under a microscope, mind you, lol)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Lynn

The capital C which looks like a B, is formed in exactly the same was as the C in Malcolm McCaskill's surname, with the bottom of the C coming up to meet itself in the middle. (That's under a microscope, mind you, lol)

OC
                It appears to me that under magnification, the curl actually goes the other way. That is why it looks like a B. The image that Julie posted (the sepia one) shows this up well.

But OC, I will accept being proved wrong and am happy to bow to your greater experience! (Actually to me it looks more like it says Margaret was depressed, rather than deceased. LOL!!! So maybe enough said!! :D)
                Last edited by Lyn A; 13-01-08, 18:38.

Comment

Lyn

Hahahaha! I should think she WAS depressed with a maiden name like that, lol.

OC

Comment

is her name the 3rd from the bottom ?brenda xxx

Comment

*screams excitedly*

I found her death cert! Her maiden name is CATTANACH!

OC

Comment

Well done OC!! So glad that it is sorted! Might get some sleep tonight! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          *screams excitedly*

I found her death cert! Her maiden name is CATTANACH!
                          An incentive to get married a.s.a.p. then.:D:D
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

well done mystry solved brenda xxx

Comment

That registrar needs to stop doing his C's like B's :D

Well done OC I am so pleased you found her death because I'd have kept going until the death on this one.... I can now go off and re-introduce myself to the family again :o

Comment

Hmmm, in no hurry to marry, three children born before the marriage and it looks as if he was having bairns with another lady at the same time, ho ho ho.

His brother married her sister.....

OC

Comment

Working...
                                X