No announcement yet.

Introduction and plea for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 1861, William (aged 9 months) is living with parents Thomas and Harriet in Allerton Lane, West Bromwich. Thomas is still a carter.
    Not found him in 1871 yet.

Marriages Jun 1860
    Dingley Thomas Coventry 6D 519
    Green Harriet Coventry 6d 519
    Hancox Martha Coventry 6d 519
    KNIGHT John Coventry 6d 519
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-01-09, 18:24.

Comment

Thanks folks, had seen the photos and the maps but that sound file was excellent.
      Now need a non copyright photo of the Climax Reel Works, Alnwick

BTW this forum is Good!

Brian

Comment

There are mentions of William Dingley and the Climax Reel Works in this book, which might be useful:

Sport and the English Middle Classes, 1870-1914 By John Lowerson
        Published by Manchester University Press, 1993

In 1896 WH Dingley established the Climax Reel Works, producing the first
        mechanical spinning drums, ...
        "Climax Reel Works", Alnwick - Google Book Search
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-01-09, 18:02.

Comment

I've got that book on my "need to get" list . . none on Amazon, Abe or e bay . . but I keep looking.

Just noticed Swansea Uni has it on a Reading list. May ask them for a scan of page 230 ;)
          Brian

Comment

William's baptism:

WILLIAM HENRY DINGLEY
            Male

Event(s):
            Birth:
            Christening: 27 OCT 1861 Cubbington, Warwick, England

Parents:
            Father: THOMAS DINGLEY
            Mother: HARRIET

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

As the West Brom birthplace seems to be wrong, I think you'd do well to buy the 1860 Coventry birth cert I gave you the reference for, to be on the safe side.

Comment

Thanks Mary. I suspect that the West Brom birthplace was someone's superficial attempt at research several years ago . . . and . . as happens . . became "Accepted wisdom"
              The internet is great . . but bad info can fly as fast as good

The Coventry address fits well.
              Brian

Comment

Yes, I think that's very likely. I had a look for the other William Henry, born in West Brom in 1858 - the most likely candidate on the censuses is from Rowley Regis, which is quite nearby. He was a sett maker, so I think you can rule him out.

Your next step might be to look at local newspapers. Ask your local library if they have a subscription to the Gale 19th-century newspaper site, which is a mine of information.

Comment

I have never seen old patents online and have only ever found patents from 1870 to 1905 at The old PRO when it was at Chancery Lane in London and I will assume that these patents followed the new PRO to Kew, now The National Archives. Worth trying to search for these at TNA Kew.

The National Archives

Janet

Comment

No wonder I couldn't find William in 1871 - he and his sister are transcribed as "William Hallo" and "Harriet Hallo" (the transcriber's misread the "do" under Thomas's surname which stands for "ditto").

Thomas (labourer at works) and Harriet are living with William H, 10, and Harriet E, 2, at Court 3?, House 2, Alma Street, Aston, Warks (the address is hard to read).

I forgot to mention that Thomas was born in Cubbington, Warks c. 1841 and Harriet was born in Kenilworth, Warks c. 1841.
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-01-09, 18:51.

Comment

Thanks Janet, I've had a look but can't find the ones I'm looking for. Have asked a friend to check Brit. Library records.

Mary, about the Bling for your halo? any preference?
                      Brian

Comment

Diamonds will do, Brian - anything more expensive would be just vulgar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                          Diamonds will do, Brian - anything more expensive would be just vulgar.
                          Talent AND Class . . just so out of my league . . .
                          Brian

Comment

I hope we're going to get a free copy of the book when it comes out

Comment

It's possible. . . ;)

Send me your e mail addy to:
                              churchillsporting AT gmail DOT com

Thanks
                              Brian
                              Brian

Comment

Don't worry, I was only joking - I expect it'll be ages before it's ready, anyway.

Comment

We're hoping, yeah, really, to have it at the publishers late Summer, early Autumn (I refuse to say 'Fall' !!)

I'll post the Amazon link to it when it hits the bookshops . . in time for Christmas?

You can borrow my signed copy
                                  Brian

Comment

Acknowledgements to Mary et al at FTF, I trust

Beverley

Comment

A huge "Thank You" to all who contributed

It's is so nice to find a forum that actually works and does what it says on the Google.

I will return!

PS When is the next national census available on line?
                                      Brian

Comment

A beta version of the 1911 was released for a few days over Christmas, but it's no longer operational. Rumour has it that it's due to be released around 13th Jan 2009, but it won't cover the whole country right away, because they haven't finished scanning the records yet. It'll be available on FindMyPast.

Comment

Thank you, will look out for.

PS, Mary, Do I owe you anything for Credits you may have used up on my behalf?
                                          Brian

Comment

Working...
                                          X