No announcement yet.

Is this the right one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And finally, 1901 - Union Street Monifieth. Alexander isn't there (perhaps he died).

Jane Ireland 51 born St. Cyrus
    Charles Ireland 20
    George Ireland 17
    Maggie Ireland 15
    Jeanie Ireland 13
    Alexander Ireland 11
    Katie Ireland 9
    Leila Ireland 9
    James McPhie 3
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yep that is my great grandad with his siblings. So i am guessing to get this clear in my head:

1. the marriage certificate says alexanders parents are David Alexander Ireland and Ms A Roberts. So this is correct and Ann could of been Roberts pre marriage.

2. That i need the birth certificate for Alexander to confirm that his parents are infact David Alexander and Ann Roberts and not Isobel Urquhart like everyone keeps saying on their trees.

3. That scottish research isn't all that bad really when you get a little help lol.
      Jen

Comment

Originally posted by jennie View Post
        Yep that is my great grandad with his siblings. So i am guessing to get this clear in my head:

1. the marriage certificate says alexanders parents are David Alexander Ireland and Ms A Roberts. So this is correct and Ann could of been Roberts pre marriage.

2. That i need the birth certificate for Alexander to confirm that his parents are infact David Alexander and Ann Roberts and not Isobel Urquhart like everyone keeps saying on their trees.

3. That scottish research isn't all that bad really when you get a little help lol.
        1. As someone said early on, MS stands for Maiden surname.

2. If you haven't tried ScotlandsPeople before, here is your chance. With all the information you have on Alexander (year and place of birth) you should be able to find him quite easily. For £6 you can buy 30 credits. It will cost 1 credit to view a page of Alexander Irelands. Pick the right one and it will cost 5 credits (£1) to view the actual birth register page as written by the registrar and signed by whoever registered the birth. And you can download the image and print it out yourself.

3. Scottish research is a bit different, but you can get a lot more information from certificates (actually register pages) such as mother's maiden name. And for births you usually get the date of marriage as well.

Comment

Arh yes sorry i remember Kite said it :(
          I am going to buy some credits as soon as i get paid next week and can't wait have been playing around to get used to the site so looking forward to next week when i can put some credit on.
          The information given to me from the certs that someone has i was shocked at how much information they had on them.

thankyou so much for your help i have cleared things up in my head now so am ready for searching scotlandspeople with my credits.
          Jen

Comment

And when you locate the marriage, it will give you all 4 parents' names and occupations, and the mothers' maiden names (and other surnames if they had been married before).

Comment

OH lovely so will really give you lots of information, i can see me having to put sons nursery money to one side so i don't spend it all on credits lol. So i belive my first port of call is to buy Alexander Ireland born 1844 Montrose birth certificate, which will then give me parents names and work from that.
              Jen

Comment

Oh just one more question lol Because he was born 1844 that means i will have to go through the Old Parish registra to get his birth details doesn't it as the records only go back to 1855. Will they give me the same information?
                Jen

Comment

Whoops! I hadn't latched on to his d.o.b. The OPRs are very variable in the amount of information they provide. I'd go for his marriage first, which will give the parents' names. That way, if there is a baptism recorded you'll be reasonably sure you have the correct one.

AND the marriage will show what church they belonged to. The OPRs only relate to the established church (the Church of Scotland). There are many other smaller churches such as the Free Church of Scotland, whose records are not on ScotlandsPeople.

Comment

There are only 3 Alexander Ireland births in the whole of Scotland recorded between 1840 and 1845, but none in Montrose, so you may or may not be lucky.

And there are only 5 Alexander Ireland marriages between 1860 and 1870, one of which is in Montrose, so that should hopefully be straightforward.

Comment

Not sure if this has already been posted up, but there is a marriage on the IGI between David Ireland and Ann Robert 6 OCT 1838 Logie-Pert, Angus, Scotland. If you look at the OPR image for the marriage on Scotland's People then it may or may not give you further info.

A "parent search" on the IGI for David Ireland and Ann Roberts gives 3 children:
                      James born 10 May 1840 baptised 7 Jun 1840 Montrose, Angus
                      David born 8 Dec 1845 baptised 27 Dec 1845 Ferry Port on Craig, Fife
                      Margaret born 7 Dec 1847 baptised 26 Jan 1848 Ferry Port on Craig, Fife

Again, if you look at the OPR baptism entries for these, there may or may not be more info. Also there could be more baptisms listed on Scotland's People which the IGI doesn't have. I'll see if I can spot anything else.

Hmmm, not sure whether that David and Margaret are maybe from a different couple with the same names!
                      Last edited by KiteRunner; 30-12-08, 22:41.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thankyou very much for your help.
                        UJ i do have the marriage certificate for Alexander Ireland and Jane Johnston or do you mean the marriage certificate for David and Ann?

Thankyou Kite interesting i never spotted this but could spot loads for the marriage of Alexander to Isobel which everyone seems to think is the right parentage but nobody seems to explain why this is the right marriage, i hope they can prove me wrong but i am thinking one has seen it on a tree and copied and then it's been copid and copied by others without hard evidence but who am i to say they are wrong!!
                        Jen

Comment

Originally posted by jennie View Post
                          UJ i do have the marriage certificate for Alexander Ireland and Jane Johnston or do you mean the marriage certificate for David and Ann?
                          It was just a general observation. You'll see on the certificate/register entry "in accordance with the rites of (whatever) church". My Scottish marriages are mostly Church of Scotland, with some Free Church or United Free Church and a very few Methodist and others.

Comment

Hi Jennie

heres entry of the marriage for David Ireland and Ann Robert*

They married in Logie Pert, Angus on the 6th october 1838

I had a look for other children born to this couple and only found a James Ireland born 1840 and Davids occupation fits that seen on Alexanders marriage cert. I coudl not see anythign for Alexander's birth entry at all

Hope this helps a little
                            WendyP

Comment

HI

the 1841 census shows address being Hillside of Hedderwick, Angus

David Ireland 28 Occ Ag Lab and Salmon Fisher
                              Ann Ireland 25
                              James Ireland 1

But I cant see this James in the later census
                              WendyP

Comment

Thankyou very much Wendy i appreciate your help.
                                Jen

Comment

Working...
                                X