No announcement yet.

1911 plus and minus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another minus - still can't see the Norfolk page I want, though I have coughed up 10 credits to get the transcript.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Plus: just enjoying the extra info. Also, a few names have fallen into place: named in a Will, but not sure which bit of the CHAPMANs they belonged to, but all attached now!

Minus (or is this a plus? ): enjoyed getting a LANCASTER image for G-g-mother, but now I have a missing died child to identify. I'd only known about the three surviving ones.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I am looking forward once the Northern parts go live to finding out:

1. the marital status of my grandfathers uncle Harry Sunley, as his wife Kate vanishes from all records after childs birth in 1908 and family lore has it that my great grandparents raised the child in Darlington. (Though I will be screaming if she does not appear in 1911 and says he is either a widower or single as I will be thrown straight back to square one)

2. Discovering for definate whether an ancestor worked at Newby Hall, again family lore has it that she was working there when she married but her marriage cert does not state that as her address.

3. Finding out where my great gran Amy Ashworth was living, she wed in Oldham in 1912, but came from Hyde, Cheshire so will be useful to see if she was in service and where.

George
        Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

Minus
          Having found G-g-mother, plus younger son, can't find even younger daughter - my G-mother.
          Nor G-g-father.
          Nor elder son.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Minus - I don't know where to view the 1911!!!!! I'm intrigued - can anyone point me in the right direction?

Plus - I'm pretty sure you kind souls can help me out!!! ;)

Comment

You need to register with the Official Site Welcome to the official 1911 Census website. Then - all being well - you'll be emailed back an invitation. The T&C are very definite that invitees are not supposed to share the URL, nor any transcriptions/images with the world at large, and it must be for private use.

Christine

Comment

Thank you very much Christine! I have just registered and I am now eagerly awaiting an invitation!!!!

Comment

The biggest plus for me is being able to see my ancestors handwriting and signatures but sometimes this can also be a minus as they are not always as literate as we might think. My gt grandfather quite clearly spelt his own son's name 'Aurther' when his birth, marriage and death certificates show the more usual spelling of Arthur, which had me wondering why I couldn't find my grandad on there until I searched for his brother who's name had been spelt right. Also had a similar example on my husband's side where his 2 x gt grandad had changed his own name from Josiah to Joseph and spelt his wife's name 'Pricalla' when it should have been Priscilla. A registrar or enumerator would probably have recorded these under the more usually accepted spellings but I still think it's nice to be able to see the forms as originally filled out spelling mistakes and all.
                  :D Carolyn

Comment

Originally posted by Deb N View Post
                    Thank you very much Christine! I have just registered and I am now eagerly awaiting an invitation!!!!
                    Hampshire is on the available list, as is Surrey. I hope you do get an invitation. It may not come immediately: they did say that Support would be unavailable for a few days.

This is the blog site, which has info: 1911census.co.uk blog
                    The good thing is that the testing spell has been extended for a few more days.

Christine

Comment

A big PLUS for me!

Found my Gt grandparents William & Lydia Davis and all of their children were listed, even the ones that were married and living elsewhere...BUT also 'Dead' written against the ones that had died. I have since managed to find their death registrations so will be sending off for those certificates.

Another bonus....'Bertie' finally had his correct names listed...Herbert...no wonder I couldn't find his birth registration before...but I have it now at last!
                      teresa

Comment

Well done Teresa!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Minus for me......no Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire, I will have to wait.
                          Kathleen

Comment

Minus for me was not being able to find my paternal grandmother. She was 14 and not with the rest of her family. Doesn't appear to be in Staffordshire at all. I am presuming she was staying with one of her grandparents in Nottinghamshire. Will have to wait to find out.

I did'nt get any of the original pages, too expensive. I got info about more people by getting the transcriptions. I can wait for any extra info if and when it becomes part of a subscription package.

Comment

Plus
                              I've found every living ancestor save my granny (in service and should be in either London or Surrey, so presumably mistranscribed) and her granny, presumably also mistrancribed as I know exactly where she was living at the time.
                              The story that granny's mum lost three babies is true.
                              All my ancestors had really neat handwriting

Minus
                              There is really no contest between transcript and image but when the site goes live can I seriously afford to buy images for those who are not ancestors?
                              Phoenix - with charred feathers
                              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix - I think it depends a bit on what your project is.

If it's an ancestral chart (as mine is), then I'd go for transcriptions at most for non-direct names (until they're available "free" under subscription), and maybe restrict myself to critical images for even direct ancestors... the ones where I believe/hope the image will have some info for which I've been searching a while, or on which hangs my next steps.

If you're majoring on a name, then I'd think you'll have to decide (like the above) which ones are critical, and save calling up the other images until you can get them via a subscription.

I think that's what I shall do, anyway.

Christine

Comment

It's a One Name Study, Christine. In pre Ancestry days, I used to buy certificates for census years to pinpoint families, which was considerably more expensive than one census image.

Which means I really want the image, to see how many babies died. But I've found 121 hits to date, which doesn't cover mistranscriptions and all the family in the North East.

It will be interesting to see what sort of deal TNA comes up with. Because, of course, I'm also interested in the neighbours, the extended family etc etc etc!
                                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix

I think when the 1911 site goes live in a few days/weeks/months, lol, it will be cheaper than the Beta site, which was at a premium rate, by their own admission.

I certainly prefer to work from images rather than transcriptions but will probably stagger the cost. I know where everyone was in 1911, except my grandfather and the 1911 will just be an additional "fact" for me. My family has dwindled down to next to nothing by 1911.

However, I have always wondered why my grandfather was an only child and will be interested to see if there were any other pregnancies.

OC

Comment

I haven't had the urge to use the 1911 census for anything. Prompted by contacts through GR I've been dotting i's and crossing t's around my tree. Knowing that LancsBMD has been adding mother's maiden name, I've gone through several families and found extra children who were born and died between censuses.
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

On the plus side, I found my g-grandmother with a child I didn't know existed.

On the minus - she had been widowed by then so it doesn't help me find the date of her missing marriage. Plus, she seems to have been totally confused by the 'how many children' questions so I still don't know if the eldest two I've found (who I can't find birth certs for) were hers or her husband's from an earlier marriage...
                                        Last edited by Lindsay; 01-01-09, 15:15.

Comment

Working...
                                        X