Talk:Roxburghshire Towns and Villages L
Ladhope Free Church, Melrose: The congregation was formed in 1843 and initially held services in the ballroom of the Commercial Inn before using the Relief Church. The first church for the congregation was in Island Street, constructed in the garden of a church member. The rising population of Galashiels meant this building quickly (like almost every other place of worship within the town) became too small. Several plans for enlargement during the 1870's were considered but ultimately rejected. The building pictured was built in 1885 in Bridge Street, like several other churches in the town the installation of an organ upset several members of the congregation who promptly left. In 1929 the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church united, this building then became known as St Andrew's. After uniting with St Cuthbert's in 1977 the congregation moved to the United Presbyterian East building on the High Street. The building, which overlooks Gala Water, was converted into an Arts Centre operated by the Scottish Borders Council
Ladhope Parish Church, Melrose: Built in 1838 as a chapel of ease to Melrose Parish Church. The church sits north of Gala Water, the area being a quoad sacra parish from 1855 and part of Melrose civil parish until 1891. The building is the oldest survivng church building within Galashiels and catered for the growing population. At The Disruption in 1843 nearly 400 members plus the minister left to form the Ladhope Free Church. Despite this by 1868 the congregation had grown to around 1000 members and the church was therefore enlarged to provide the extra capacity required. The bellcote was added a couple of years earlier. This church was the first in Galashiels to have an organ installed, this event in 1874 prompted objections from some of the congregation and they left the church. Major renovations were carried out in the 1950's along with the addition of a larger Church Hall. In 1975 the church united with St Cuthberts and the congregation moved into the St Cuthbert's building. Since that time the property has been used as a fitness centre and more recently a dental practice.
Back to Places of Worship:Roxburghshire