Talk:Roxburghshire Towns and Villages H
Edinburgh born architect David Rhind is credited with the design of Hobkirk Parish Church, Rhind was never a prolific church designer, his main works being for the Commercial Bank of Scotland at numerous locations. He is also responsible for the Monument to Sir Walter Scott in Glasgow and submitted an unsuccessful design for the Houses of Parliament at Westminster.
Hobkirk Parish Church dates to the early 1860's, close to the settlement of Bonchester Bridge and close to the site of much earlier churches. The font contains stones from some of the earlier buildings, a stone from a 9th century Saxon building forms the principal stone which holds the font basin.
The site of Hounam Church has been used for religious buildings for at least four hundred years and possibly far longer, and often referred to as Hownam in earlier records. Originally the church is thought to have been cruciform shaped but works in 1840 produced the current rectangular shape.The current church at Hounam is the result of major works in 1907-8 after a fire in 1907. The outline of the building is largely unchanged but the large window shown in the photograph indicates where the original doorway once stood. The old postcard image is mounted inside the church and clearly shows the church exterior prior to the fire.
The interior of the church had to be refitted and remains virtually unchanged today from the rebuilding with the exception of replacement of the organ. The graveyard has several early stones, many mark the resting place of family groups or at the least note the events within a family.
Additional exterior and interior images of the church are available from Glen in Tinsel Knickers
Back to Places of Worship:Roxburghshire