Talk:Berwickshire Towns and Villages S
The original church on the site at Simprim dates to the early or mid 12th century, built by Hye (Hugh) de Simprine. The income from the church was kept by the then priest. After the death of the priest Hye gave a farmstead, cottage and land to Kelso Abbey, this allowed the income from the church to be used by the abbey.
In 1482 upon te orders of Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later to become King Richard III of England) the church was burnt, although it was rebuilt the Reformation of 1560 left the church without officers for many years. Around 1700 a new minister provided a revival for the church and in the mid 1700's a new bell and steeple were added. By 1761 the tiny parish had united with Swinton, the bell was removed and the church began to fall into ruin.
Back to Places of Worship:Berwickshire