Talk:Berwickshire Towns and Villages G
Situated at the edge of the village both Gavinton Church and Gavinton Auld Kirk were part of the old (now disbanded) Langton Parish. The village of Langton (described as a straggling "long toon") had suffered for many years suffered from the raiders from Berwick and Northumberland as well as the English raids of the mid 1500's.
Local proprieter, Mr George Gavin wished to improve his property but found Langton such an unnattractive neighbour he granted land half a mile away for a new town. The favourable terms he offered were accepted and the new town of Gavington emerged. Langton is all but gone, just the farm of that name remains, the current church dominates the horizon and stands at the end of a mile long straight from the old Langton site.
The Parish Church looks rather plain, almost understated, however when seen up close the building is quite attractive, internally the church is bright and airy thanks to the numerous large windows and features wood panels forming the reredos. The churchyard is quite large and is planted with many evergreen bushes, the path and seat at the front of the church give a commanding view of the planted areas and the surrounding countryside towards the old Langton township.
The Auld Kirk is now a private residence, the last building on the Greenalw side of Gavington, the view from Main Street does not at first appear to show any church like features, save for an inscription above the porch/conservatory, however the view from the opposite side does show a few clues to the former use (windows for instance) but this overlooks the main Duns Road (Gavington bypass) and there is no safe vantage point to examine the building.
The site of Greenlaw Parish Church has been home to a place of worship since the 1100's, although the present building stands on the medieval foundations it dates to around the 1670's.
Greenlaw was at the time the county town of Berwickshire and work to extend the church took place in the early 1700's, for example the tower, completed in 1712 was planned as a tollbooth or prison, whilst at the same time the church was lengthened, East and West lofts were added around ten years later. During the later part of the 1780's the North loft was added and in the mid 1850's the North aisle was constructed.
Back to Berwickshire Parishes G