Difference between revisions of "Berwickshire Towns and Villages E"

From the Family Tree Forum Reference Library
 
(17 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
== Earlston ==
 
== Earlston ==
 +
 +
<table cellpadding=10>
 +
<tr>
 +
<td>[[Image:Deleted image.jpg|thumb|150px|[[Talk:Berwickshire Parishes E#Earlston|Earlston Parish Church]] ]]</td></tr></table>
  
 
<br>
 
<br>
  
 +
'''Destroyed/Demolished'''<br>
 +
The '''West Church''' was converted to a shop then demolished to make way for housing.<br>
 +
The '''United Free Church''', later used as a Church Of Scotland Hall was demolished in 1990.
  
 
<br>
 
<br>
Line 10: Line 17:
 
== Eccles ==
 
== Eccles ==
  
 +
<table cellpadding=10><tr><td>[[Image:Deleted image.jpg|thumb|150px|[[Talk:Berwickshire Parishes E#Eccles|Eccles Parish Church]] K]]</td>
 +
<td>[[Image:Deleted image.jpg|thumb|150px|[[Talk:Berwickshire Parishes E#Eccles|Eccles Free Kirk]] ]]</td>
 +
<td>[[Image:Deleted image.jpg|thumb|150px|[[Talk:Berwickshire Parishes E#Eccles|Leitholm UP Kirk]] ]]</td></tr></table>
 
<br>
 
<br>
  
  
 
<br>
 
<br>
 +
 +
'''Damaged, Destroyed, Ruined'''
 +
 +
Birgham Chapel, dedicated to St Magdalene, one of four chapels recorded within the priory of Eccles dates to the thirteenth century. To the north edge of the burial ground a small depression and the discovery of stones (possibly foundation stones) indicate the likely location. The village was the site of one of the border battles during the 1500's. <br>
 +
 +
Lambden Chapel, first recorded around 1142, destoyed in 1545 by the Earl Of Hertford, partial inscribed stones were found in the early 1900's during work at Lambden farm.<br>
 +
 +
Leitholm Chapel (recorded in the mid thirteeth century within the priory of Eccles), destroyed in 1545 by the Earl Of Hertford, no remaning traces of the building.<br>
 +
 +
Merdington Chapel (within the priory of Eccles), documented in the 1200's, damaged in 1545 by the Earl of Hertford, rebuilt and documented in the sixteeth and seventeenth centuries, no traces of either the chapel or village are visible above ground.<br>
  
 
== Edrom ==
 
== Edrom ==
Line 19: Line 39:
 
<table cellpadding=10>
 
<table cellpadding=10>
 
<tr>
 
<tr>
<td>[[Image:Edrom Church, Berwickshire GLENTK.jpg |thumb|150 px|[[Talk:Berwickshire Parishes E#Edrom|Edrom Church]] Submitted by Glen]]</td><td>[[Image:Edrom The original 12th Century Doorway GLENTK.jpg |thumb|150 px|[[Talk:Berwickshire Parishes E#Edrom|Edrom Arch]] Submitted by Glen]]</td>
+
<td>[[Image:Deleted image.jpg |thumb|150 px|[[Talk:Berwickshire Parishes E#Edrom|Edrom Church]] ]]</td><td>[[Image:Deleted image.jpg|thumb|150 px|[[Talk:Berwickshire Parishes E#Edrom|Edrom Arch]] ]]</td>
 
</tr>
 
</tr>
</table><br>
+
</table>
 +
<br>
  
  
Additional exterior images of the church and burial vault are available from [http://www.familytreeforum.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=302 Glen in Tinsel Knickers]
+
<br>
 
 
  
 +
==Eyemouth==
 +
<table cellpadding=10>
 +
<tr>
 +
<td>[[File:Scotland Eyemouth St Andrews Darksecretz.JPG|thumb|150px|St. Andrews. Submitted by Darksecretz]]</td>
 +
<td>[[File:Scotland Eyemouth United Congregational Church Darksecretz.JPG|thumb|150px|United Congregational Church. Submitted by Darksecretz]]</td>
 +
<td>[[File:Scotland Eyemouth Unknown Chapel Paxton Terrace Darksecretz.JPG|thumb|150px|Unknown Chapel, Paxton Terrace. Submitted by Darksecretz]]</td>
 +
<td>[[File:Scotland Eyemouth Free Baptist Church darksecretz.jpg|thumb|150px|Free Baptist Church, Houndlaw Park. Submitted by Darksecretz]]</td>
 +
</tr>
 +
</table>
 
<br>
 
<br>
  
== Eyemouth ==
+
<table cellpadding=10>
 
+
<tr>
 +
<td>[[File:Scotland Eyemouth church darksecretz.jpg|thumb|150px|Eyemouth Parish Church. Submitted by Darksecretz]]</td>
 +
</tr>
 +
</table>
 
<br>
 
<br>
 
  
 
<br>
 
<br>

Latest revision as of 12:35, 20 November 2011


Earlston


Destroyed/Demolished
The West Church was converted to a shop then demolished to make way for housing.
The United Free Church, later used as a Church Of Scotland Hall was demolished in 1990.


Eccles




Damaged, Destroyed, Ruined

Birgham Chapel, dedicated to St Magdalene, one of four chapels recorded within the priory of Eccles dates to the thirteenth century. To the north edge of the burial ground a small depression and the discovery of stones (possibly foundation stones) indicate the likely location. The village was the site of one of the border battles during the 1500's.

Lambden Chapel, first recorded around 1142, destoyed in 1545 by the Earl Of Hertford, partial inscribed stones were found in the early 1900's during work at Lambden farm.

Leitholm Chapel (recorded in the mid thirteeth century within the priory of Eccles), destroyed in 1545 by the Earl Of Hertford, no remaning traces of the building.

Merdington Chapel (within the priory of Eccles), documented in the 1200's, damaged in 1545 by the Earl of Hertford, rebuilt and documented in the sixteeth and seventeenth centuries, no traces of either the chapel or village are visible above ground.

Edrom




Eyemouth

St. Andrews. Submitted by Darksecretz
United Congregational Church. Submitted by Darksecretz
Unknown Chapel, Paxton Terrace. Submitted by Darksecretz
Free Baptist Church, Houndlaw Park. Submitted by Darksecretz


Eyemouth Parish Church. Submitted by Darksecretz





Back to Places of Worship:Berwickshire