Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
    Hi Glen,

If you have time please would you look for a marriage of Salome Codd. This lady is a bit of a puzzle. She was born 1828 Onehouse, parents James Codd and Sophia Blundell. There is a marriage on ancestry for Salome Codd to Charles Parker 1850, 1st Q stow. The problem I have is it is very difficult to verify this marriage as I can not find Salome after 1850 (assuming this is the correct marriage). May be she died?

I wonder if you could throw some light on this one.

Sandra
    Unfortunately whoever made the entry in to the register gave both parties the father's name James PARKER. However the witnesses were Sophia CODD (sister/mother?) & Charles CODD whose connection I can't quite determine at the moment.

Onehouse13/1/1850
    Charles PARKER FA B Bricklayer Needham Market James PARKER Lab
    Salome CODD FA S Onehouse James PARKER Lab
    All parties made their marks.
    Glen

Comment

• Hi Glen,

Many thanks for your time.... there is another marriage for Salome Parker as detailed below. The problem is I can't establish who she married. Please could this go on the list for next time!!

many thanks, Sandra

Charles James Drummond Apr-May-Jun 1868 Ipswich Suffolk
      View Record Salome Parker Apr-May-Jun 1868 Ipswich Suffolk
      View Record William Tricker Apr-May-Jun 1868 Ipswich Suffolk
      Results per page Viewing 1-3 of 3

Comment

• Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
        Unfortunately I came across a Richard LEE before I did your lookup so didn't record all details. He appears in the 1811 Census for St Clements living in Fore St, working in trade with 6 males & 1 female in the family. Not sure if this is yours although the extra bodies could be his first family. Richard LEE was also in 1801 & 1821 & I think in one there was a snr & jnr.

In the ledger for relief of the poor 1819-1823 he appears many times. I'm pretty sure it's him as he only has a wife & one child & in 1821 he mentions the latter is a boy of 9.

Ipswich St Clement
        John LEE s. Richard/Charlotte (MICKELFIELD) 15/9/1811 Couldn't find any other children.

Richard LEE W otp Charlotte MICKELFIELD W otp Banns 11/8/1811
        Wit: Sarah ROGERS P F PARKER Only the latter signed.

I did have a look back to 1798 for an earlier marriage but nothing.

I keep losing my connection so this will have to be my last post tonight.
        Thanks again Glen, that certainly looks as if they are the ones I'm looking for.
        Just got to the altar in time by the looks of it LOL.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

• Hello Glen, I'm new on here. I'm trying to find out who the parents of my ancestor Mary Chaplin are. Mary Chaplin is my great-great-great grandmother. She was born circa 1805 - 1813 on board the SS Zebra. This information is documented in the 1851 census return. At that time she was 38 years old and lived at 26 Southwold Road, Wrentham in Suffolk. Any information would be appreciated. Many thanks, Stella Jones

Comment

• Hi Stella,

Not sure how much I can help. I can check Wrentham PRs to see if she was baptised there but as she was born at sea, if she was baptised at all, it could have been anywhere. Do you have any idea why she was born at sea, was her father in the army?

Is the Edward she was with in 1841 likely to be her father?
            Glen

Comment

• Hello Glen, Thank you for your reply.

The Edward in the 1841 census was her guardian. He was the ship's carpenter on the Zebra. He brought her up and married her when she was 17 apx. years old. They had a daughter called Martha Chaplin who was my great-great grandmother. Edward Chaplin lived in Wrentham at 26 Southwold Road, which is where Mary grew up and lived. I have no idea why she was born on the bombship. I think by then it was coming to the end of its life so it may have been going back and forth to Holland or France at that time. I have been to Wrentham and seen where Edward is buried there but I don't know much about Mary. I would love to know who her parents were. I think she may have been baptised in Wrentham.

Best wishes, Stella Jones

Comment

• Hi Stella,

Did Edward & Mary marry in Wrentham? Is that where Edward was from do you think? I shall have to find the marriage first. I didn't realise originally that CHAPLIN was Mary's married name.

Not sure when I shall next be in Suffolk, the weather isn't exactly encouraging me but I'll see what I can find.
                Glen

Comment

• Mary Chaplin - Edward Chaplin

Hello Glen, Thanks for your reply. I have since discovered that Edward Chaplin, ship's carpenter on board the HMS Zebra, was a member of the Congregational Church in Wrentham. Mary (Chaplin) was his ward. She was born on the Zebra circa 1805-1813 (possibly due to a family scandal) and then given to Edward to bring up. When she was 17 or 18 they married? (I need this proving) and later had a child called Martha, who appears on the census living at 26 Southwold Road, Wrentham with her parents. Edward Chaplin died on 29th March 1850, aged 77 and was buried in the graveyard of the Congregational Chapel in Wrentham. I don't know where Mary was buried. I don't know who Mary's parents were and I don't know if Mary and Edward were ever married. Since Edward Chaplin was a regular worshipper at the Wrentham congregational church, I think they were married there, if they were married at all. It would probably be around 1831 when they were married. Mary was deaf and dumb and did not attend the chapel, as far as I know, probably because of her affliction. However, their daughter Martha was baptised there. Martha was born circa 1831/3.

Thanks for your continued interest. There is no hurry at all. I just would be very happy to get some more facts and or documentary evidence.

Stella Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by Starproms View Post
                    Hello Glen, Thanks for your reply. I have since discovered that Edward Chaplin, ship's carpenter on board the HMS Zebra, was a member of the Congregational Church in Wrentham. Mary (Chaplin) was his ward. She was born on the Zebra circa 1805-1813 (possibly due to a family scandal) and then given to Edward to bring up. When she was 17 or 18 they married? (I need this proving) and later had a child called Martha, who appears on the census living at 26 Southwold Road, Wrentham with her parents. Edward Chaplin died on 29th March 1850, aged 77 and was buried in the graveyard of the Congregational Chapel in Wrentham. The NBI shows him buried at the parish church St Nicholas?

I don't know where Mary was buried. I don't know who Mary's parents were and I don't know if Mary and Edward were ever married. Since Edward Chaplin was a regular worshipper at the Wrentham congregational church, I think they were married there, if they were married at all. It would probably be around 1831 when they were married. At that time they would have had to marry in the parish church for it to be legal. I believe some independents did have marriage registers but I've never seen one.

Mary was deaf and dumb and did not attend the chapel, as far as I know, probably because of her affliction. However, their daughter Martha was baptised there. Martha was born circa 1831/3.

Thanks for your continued interest. There is no hurry at all. I just would be very happy to get some more facts and or documentary evidence.

Stella Jones
                    Mary's death notice in the Ipswich Journal states she was the widow of Edward but as this was probably put in by her daughter with whom she was living before her death, that's not surprising.

If I can find Martha's baptism at the Congregational it may have Mary's surname. Anyway keep checking back to this thread as I don't contact individually. I do put a thread on Research Qs & As to say when I'm making a trip though & when I have some answers.
                    Glen

Comment

• Edward Chaplin and Mary Chaplin

Hello Glen, Thanks for the latest information. I'll check back from time to time.

Best wishes, Stella Jones

Comment

• Hello Glen
                        Thank you for your kind offer. Can you please check for a baptism in Wangford of George King - his birth was registered SeptQ 1848. Parents were Charles and Matilda King. Also, if possible, a death for Thomas King who I believe died SeptQ 1884, in Wangford. Many thanks.
                        Jenny

Comment

• Originally posted by jenoco View Post
                          Hello Glen
                          Thank you for your kind offer. Can you please check for a baptism in Wangford of George King - his birth was registered SeptQ 1848. Parents were Charles and Matilda King. Also, if possible, a death for Thomas King who I believe died SeptQ 1884, in Wangford. Many thanks.
                          Hi Jenny,

I'll check the baptism & this but it appears Thomas aged 30 was buried at Wangford 5/7/1884.
                          Glen

Comment

• Thanks Glen
                            Jenny

Comment

Hello Glen, Thanks for your reply. I have since discovered that Edward Chaplin, ship's carpenter on board the HMS Zebra, was a member of the Congregational Church in Wrentham. Mary (Chaplin) was his ward. She was born on the Zebra circa 1805-1813 (possibly due to a family scandal) and then given to Edward to bring up. When she was 17 or 18 they married? (I need this proving) and later had a child called Martha, who appears on the census living at 26 Southwold Road, Wrentham with her parents. Edward Chaplin died on 29th March 1850, aged 77 and was buried in the graveyard of the Congregational Chapel in Wrentham. I don't know where Mary was buried. I don't know who Mary's parents were and I don't know if Mary and Edward were ever married. Since Edward Chaplin was a regular worshipper at the Wrentham congregational church, I think they were married there, if they were married at all. It would probably be around 1831 when they were married. Mary was deaf and dumb and did not attend the chapel, as far as I know, probably because of her affliction. However, their daughter Martha was baptised there. Martha was born circa 1831/3.

Stella Jones
                              There were no CHAPLINs in the Wrentham Independant Register 1785 - 1837.
                              What must be Martha's baptism is this:
                              Martha CHAPMAN d. Mary Wrentham b. 22/8/1831 bap. 19/9/1831
                              There is a transcript which shows Martha's name as CHAPLIN but the original is definitely CHAPMAN.

When she marries her name is CHAPLIN & father is Edward CHAPLIN Carpenter
                              Edward was definitely buried in Wrentham St Nicholas.

I have a few more avenues I can explore if I have time.
                              Glen

Comment

• Originally posted by jenoco View Post
                                Hello Glen
                                Wangford
                                George KING s. Charles/Matilda Wangford Lab. 20/8/1848
                                Thomas KING bur. 5/7/1884 Wangford 30 yrs.
                                Glen

Comment

• Many thanks Glen.
                                  Jenny

Comment

1)I don't know where Mary was buried.

2) I don't know who Mary's parents were and I don't know if Mary and Edward were ever married. Since Edward Chaplin was a regular worshipper at the Wrentham congregational church, I think they were married there, if they were married at all.
                                    Stella Jones
                                    1) Mary CHAPLIN was buried at Lowestoft St Margaret 15/5/1884 aged 72.

2) If Edward CHAPLIN married it wasn't in Suffolk between 1813 & 1837. I've checked the indexes for the whole county.
                                    Glen

Comment

• Thank you for that information Glen. I didn't know that Mary Chaplin was buried in St. Margaret's, Lowestoft so was very pleased to have this information . I can go there and think about her and maybe even find a gravestone, if there is one. I think the name Chapman you discovered must be a mistake. However, if Mary didn't marry Edward Chaplin, then it really doesn't matter. She was brought up by him (strange, but true) and later had a baby by him, Martha, who is my two greats grandmother.
                                      I did find some information from another distant relative who seems to think that the Chaplin family lived in Covehithe, which is very close to Wrentham. I have been there and discovered a lane leading down to the sea, which seems to have been there forever. I like to think that Mary's mother perhaps walked down that lane.
                                      The nearest stately type home is Henham Hall, residential seat of the 'Aussie' Earl of Stradbroke who has a colourful past.
                                      Thank you for your investigations so far.
                                      Would there be any adoption records available for Edward Chaplin's adoption of Mary Chaplin, do you think?
                                      Best wishes, Stella JOnes

Comment

• When you say Mary had Martha by Edward CHAPLIN is it because Martha has Edward as her father on her marriage cert. or is there some other info.?

As Edward was a carpenter on the Zebra where Mary was born, is it not possible that he was her father?

Also was the bombship used for something else after it was decommissioned? Was this when Mary was born on it?

Of course, you have more info. than I have to say whether these are possible scenarios.

I could have a look at the Covehithe registers but I'm not sure when as I'm hoping to have a knee replacement soon. I too have walked past the church along the lane to the cliff. 200 hundred years ago it probably went a lot further as the coast there has suffered much erosion over the years.

Official adoption didn't exist before 1927 & I checked the personal name index in Lowestoft for Edward & Mary but there was nothing for them.
                                        Glen

Comment

• Hi Glen,

If you have chance would you look for the 2nd marriage of Salome Parker as detailed in post 362

Thanks,

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                                          X