• Show
Clear All

• Name: Telford Field............... Father of Telford Charles Field
    Birth Date: 4 Dec 1834
    Birth Place: Lambeth, Surrey, England
    Event Type: Birth
    Father: Joshua
    Mother: Matilda
    Piece Title: Piece 4676: Dr Williams' Library, Index to Birth Certificates, 1837
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

• 1841 census: St Giles Camberwell
      Piece: 1051
      Book: 4
      Folio: 28
      Page Number: 14

Joshua Field 50 Engineer
      Matilda Field 40
      Joshua Field s 13
      Matilda Field dau 10
      Sydney Field s 8
      Tilford Field s 6
      Amelton Field s 2
      All born out of county

Name: Telford Field
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1835
      Registration Year: 1889
      Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
      Age at Death: 54
      Registration district: South Stoneham
      Volume: 2c
      Page: 25
      Kat

Comment

• Ooh, I say! Telford Field is described as a SHIPBUILDER employing 800 men in 1871! Didn't we try to find a rich shipbuilder at the beginning of this search? The company was called Maudslay and Field.

Go to Grace's guide for more genealogical info. I have to go out, back later.

OC

Comment

• Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Ooh, I say! Telford Field is described as a SHIPBUILDER employing 800 men in 1871! Didn't we try to find a rich shipbuilder at the beginning of this search? The company was called Maudslay and Field.

Go to Grace's guide for more genealogical info. I have to go out, back later.

OC

Joshua Leslie Field b 1857 Twickenham, BARRISTER, was the paternal 1st cousin of Telford Charles Field. His father Joshua Field b 1828 Lambeth being the elder brother of Telford Field b1834 (Engineer and ship builder)
          Kat

Comment

• Haaaaa! Well, what a turn up for the books, as they say.

Now I may be reading too much into this, but did you notice Freke Field? Freke sounds like Fricker to me!

OC

Comment

• Marriages Sep 1902
              Field Joshua Leslie Marylebone 1a 1357
              Ryland Evelyn Flora

1939 with wife Eveline and his sister Madeline.
              West View Sunte Avenue , Cuckfield U.D., Sussex.

Will: Joshua Leslie Field died 25th April 1954, Lindfield, Sussex. Probate: Elizabeth Mary Field,widow??? and son Duncan Philip Field
              Kat

Comment

Haaaaa! Well, what a turn up for the books, as they say.

Now I may be reading too much into this, but did you notice Freke Field? Freke sounds like Fricker to me!

OC
                Lol but he was born and baptised with that name! Thought at first it must be Frederick.
                From Middle English freke (“a bold man, warrior, man, creature”), from Old English freca (“a bold man, warrior, hero”)
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-10-18, 22:25.
                Kat

Comment

• That will would be worth looking at!

So, it looks as if we have identified the rich ship builders and the barrister. But who was the mummy?

OC

Comment

• Thank you Kat for all your help, now and in the past. Having looked at the Field genealogy: https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Field_Genealogy (sorry it's not a functional link but at least it's not a long one) I believe that my grandfather's father must have been Joshua Leslie FIELD, the solicitor, who would have been 40 years old at the time of my grandfather's conception in 1897. Joshua FIELD III was the grandson of Joshua Field I, a famous industrialist: https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Joshua_Field (another non-functional link) Telford Charles Field would have been his cousin. I need to lay out this genealogy in a format I can more easily understand what kind of cousin he was without having to measure margins.

My half-cousin's DNA matches someone who is a descendant of T.C. and said to be her 3rd cousin. I understand that it does not necessarily mean an exact 3rd cousin, at least that's what my half-cousin tells me. If my long deceased grandfather had not slept with the wrong woman over 95 years ago I would not have this information today! I only learned that I had a half-aunt and 4 half cousins a little over a year ago. One of the half-cousins had her DNA done and was puzzled that it matched my mother. She (the cousin) had spent years doing reasearch on her grandfather's line when he was not actually biologically related to her. I wish the DNA companies would tell people about the suprises that can arise. A happy one for me but the rest of the family is less enthusiastic to know that my grandfather had this secret in his past.
                    Amelia

My avatar is my grandfather William as a baby. His origins are shrouded in mystery.....

Comment

• Hmm. Joshua Leslie Field Barrister cannot be the paternal GRANDFATHER of William Fricker, he's too young.

OC

Sorry, we posted at the same time.
                      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 11-10-18, 16:24.

Comment

• I see that the links become functional once I post. Glad for that.
                        Amelia

My avatar is my grandfather William as a baby. His origins are shrouded in mystery.....

Comment

• I believe that Joshua Leslie FIELD, solicitor, was the father of my grandfather. He would have been 40 at the time of my grandfather's conception. My brain was not in gear yesterday & the day before, when I first started trying to figure out who the most likely canddidate was to be my grandfather's father. See the 'Field genealogy' link of my other post today. My grandfather told his wife, before he died, that he had met with his biological grandfather (an impossiblity according to the facts now known) and told that his biological father was dead and all the other relatives were dead, allegedly killed in battle in the Boer War or WWI. I believe he met with someone whom he believed was his grandfather, because of his age, or he was actually misled by someone. This meeting would have taken place during the WWI years when he was in England. Joshua Field II died in 1904 so scratch him off the list, however his probably uncle, Sidney FIELD would still have been alive. I think when this person told him "they.'re all dead" they were politely telling him to get lost.
                          Amelia

Comment

• He is listed in the Grace's Guide 'Field Genealogy' as a 'solicitor', I sent you the link but this can also be accessed with your links if you look for 'Field genealogy' in the list. Where do you see him described as a 'barrister'? I don't see it in the Grace's Guide. I believe you. I would just like to see it myself so I can send it as a link to family. I suppose he could have started as a barrister, then become a solicitor, or is the reverse more likely to be true?
                            Amelia

Comment

• Um, I don't think it's cut and dried yet. All we have done is identify the barrister, I don't think you can assume he was William's father. Anyone of his siblings could have been William's parent or indeed any of the cousins etc.
                              Incidentally the Grace genealogy has a few errors so that all needs proving too.

OC

Comment

Haaaaa! Well, what a turn up for the books, as they say.

OC
                                I Wonder how freaky he actually was? ;-)
                                Amelia

Comment

• Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                  Lol but he was born and baptised with that name! Thought at first it must be Frederick.
                                  From Middle English freke (“a bold man, warrior, man, creature”), from Old English freca (“a bold man, warrior, hero”)
                                  The name Fricker, which was fairly common on the Isle of Wight, has similar origins, named after a goddess named Friga. Is this where the word *****ing comes from? My grandfather's daughters were only to happy to drop the Fricker name upon marriage.
                                  Amelia

Comment

• Originally posted by zoomer View Post
                                    The name Fricker, which was fairly common on the Isle of Wight, has similar origins, named after a goddess named Friga. Is this where the word *****ing comes from? My grandfather's daughters were only to happy to drop the Fricker name upon marriage.
                                    I did not know that **** was a bad word. :-0
                                    Amelia

Comment

I did not know that **** was a bad word. :-0
                                      the one that ends with g, not k!
                                      Amelia

Comment

• Zoomer

As it was me who provided the Grace information, I know where to find it. Kat kindly posted the link because I can't do it on this kindle.

Kat found him described as a Barrister on the census. A Barrister is of a higher degree than a solicitor and does not necessarily have to have practised as a solicitor in order to become a barrister. Being rich helps ALOT, lol.

OC

Comment

the one that ends with g, not k!
                                          It also has an r in it. And an i. :-)
                                          Amelia

Comment

Working...
                                          X