No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He could be Harry SKEENS [sic] in 1901 at 2 Green Road Alverstoke age 6. Also there are:

Fanny, Lodger, Widow, age 35, Laundress, born Stubbington, Hants
    Charles, age 13, Pludmber's Boy, born Gosport

in the house of: John W CHARLTON, Widower, age 42, Carpenter, born Gosport

However, there is a Charles William SKEENS born Q3 1887 Alverstoke so looks like a different family

However, to be sure I suggest you get the birth and marriage records listed above to see who the parents are especially if Ethel STEVENS was his wife
    Last edited by Bertie; 29-01-13, 05:45.

Comment

• In 1911 he is poss.

Harry KEATES a Servant age 17 born Gosport, Hants

In the house of George SISUM (?) a Farmer in Minety, Wiltshire (this is just North West of Swindon)

Comment

• Thanks for your interest, Harry Skeats married Ethel Stevens and worked for the railways, no father named on his marriage certificate, have checked those census but brick walls might go back thought them
        , might send for the birth certificate Harry Skeats born 1893 Alverstoke
        Last edited by annabel; 29-01-13, 07:26. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Do let us know what the birth cert. says. You may care to look at:

1891 CENSUS: Fanny SKEATS age 24 born Appleshaw Wiltshire [sic; actually Hampshire], Servant in the Ledsham family at Priddy's Hard, Hardway, Alverstoke

There is a likely birth Q3 1867 Andover (RD contains Appleshaw)

If she is the right one you can easily find her in Appleshaw in 1871 and 1881 with her parents, Frederick and Fanny and from there her parents in 1861 and Frederick in 1841 (from a very quick look). There are some ancestry trees for Frederick SKEATS showing married Fanny PERRY - although you would need to check as she has children named PERRY with her in 1881. EDIT: just had a look at the 1861 - likely Frederick married Fanny HIXON Q3 1857 Andover, but do check this too as there is her child Emma there in 1861 (poss. previous marriage but poss. not) so Fanny PERRY was his second wife (married Q4 1880 Andover)
          Last edited by Bertie; 29-01-13, 08:22.

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Me again! This request is very much a shot in the dark.
            I would like the details of a marriage in Alverstoke - especially the witness names.
            The marriage was between a Royal Marine and a girl aged about 17.
            She was from Westbourn in Sussex, and I should think the marriage took place
            in Alverstoke on account of the Royal Marines being stationed there. As there are
            very tenuous links to the Whitcomb family I'm curious if there are any interesting
            names as witnesses - don't' expect much though! Anyway here's the marriage date:

Frederick Bluett & Ellen Day
            30 Dec 1837 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

Thanks

Ray Whitcombe

Comment

• No problem Ray,

Will get back to you ASAP

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Raywhit

This was an interesting one Ray. Not sure if it is what you want to hear or not though.

Frederick Bluett, Bach. OFA A Gentleman of Newport I.O.W. Father Buckland Bluett Captain R.N

married Ellen Day OFA Spinster A Lady. Alverstoke. Father John Day A Gentleman.

marriage by Licence!

Both signed with Joseph Gear witness (by now you know that he was probably the Parish Clerk as he appears on a lot of marriage certs). Other witness was Catherine ????? I could not make out any sense of her surname at all!!! It definately wasn't Whitcomb though!!!

Hope you can gain something from this infomation.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi

Yes its about what I expected, however as a point of general interest "Ellen Day - OFA - Spinster - A Lady" was at most 17 Years old at the time and therefore not of full age! In my researches I've frequently come across such 'economical' statements as to age, and wonder how strict the clergy etc were to such details?? I suppose if the families were well known and of 'good' status the rule of 'Nelson's Eye' would be appropriate! On the other hand the
                  marriage was by Licence, so possibly the parents consent would have been stated, still why say she was OFA??

My interest stems from the fact that Ellen Day was a cousin of a George Day who was married to a Jane Whitcomb. Wonder who the Catherine was though, doesn't ring too many bells.

Ray

Comment

• When you think about it Ray, no one gets ask for proof of age when getting married! Obviously Ellen Day looked older that her years!!

There was no mention of any given consent of the Parish Record.

Lesley
                    Last edited by Punchs mum; 03-02-13, 10:38. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Marriage by Licence was a good way of avoiding the attention of people who might know the facts about you!

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• I have a marriage from the LDS site
                        Eli Lynn England, Marriages, 1538–1973
                        marriage 05 Sep 1874 Alverstoke,Hampshire,England
                        • spouseHarriett Louch

Could someone do a lookup for the father's names,groooms occupation and witnesses

Bob

Comment

• Bob, I will take a look for you when I am in the Study Centre next.

Welcome to the Forum,

Punchs Mum (Lesley)

Comment

• Thanks Lesley
                            Hope it is Eli the son of William and his occupation a soldier in 15th foot regiment age 21ish.If it is him he went out to Poona, India and had a son there Alfred Eli born may1875.His wife Harriet looks to have died at Poona Oct 1875.On the 1881 census there is a Bertie Lynn age 5 born INDIA living at Emsworth with head of Household Ann LOUCH who was his grandmother.This is possibly Harriet.s mother here father Henry who was dead by 1881 he was Tailor.

Comment

• Look up for rwhites1946

Looks like it is the right one Bob!

Eli Lynn of full age a Soldier abode Gosport father William Lynn a Labourer

married by Banns

Harriet Louch of full age abode Gosport father Henry Louch a Tailor

Witnesses were Harvey? could be Henry Louch and unfortunately I could not read the other witness as the handwriting on the certificate was worse than mine!!!

Hope this info is what you wanted to read!

Lesley

Comment

• thats the one thanks a lot Lesley

Harriet had a brother called Harvey b1849
                                Looks Eli Lynn was in the 2nd Afghan war.An E.Lynn was given a medal at Poona in 1882
                                He was back in england in 1883 he married a Alice Elizabeth Fossy in Flitton,Beds
                                His son Alfred Eli Lynn ended up an inmate a reformatory in Mirfield,Yorkshire in1891 but eventually became a Labour master there.He drowned in 1912 in the canal or river at Mirfield after trying to rescue someone
                                It looks like Eli and Alice Elizabeth were living in Halifax,Yorkshire 1891-1901 census

Bob

Comment

• Happy to be able to help Bob.

Such an addictive hobby. Sounds like an interesting story you have uncovered with a sad ending though.

Lesley

Comment

• Any chance of another lookup?

1q 1845 Havant,Hampshire possibly married at Warblington/Emsworth

Henry Augustus LOUCH a tailor age abt 36 a widow and Ann BEER age abt 36

names of father's,witnesses etc

Comment

• should be 2q 1845 Havant,Hampshire possibly married at Warblington/Emsworth sorry about that

Comment

• Sorry Bob, but I can only offer to do look ups for Gosport/Alverstoke. That is all our local library/study centre at Gosport carry microfiche film for.

Maybe if you post on the Research board someone else may be able to help.

Lesley

Comment

• Hello Lesley,

I hope that you may be able to assist me please.

I am trying to locate details on Keziah Coffin, who so far seems to be a bit of an enigma. We do not know when she was born, but may have been around 1790, and we don't know where. My father believes that she may have married a man called John Godden in Alverstoke on 30/06/1816, although now has no idea why he thinks that. Please would it be possible to corroborate this, and provide any further details shown on the marriage record.

Also any details that you may be able to find on the marriage record of William Coffin & Eleanor Jane Cousins in Alverstoke in May 1877.

If you need any further info please let me know. Many thanks in anticipation.

Jenny

Comment

Working...
                                          X