Emigration England --> Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emigration England --> Canada

Can someone give me a lead for Canadian immigration records, or passenger lists, please?

I am searching for Annie Elizabeth Millo (b. abt 1878, nee White) who emigrated to Canada (or so we are told!) after 1907 with her daughter Violet Annie (b.1906) following the early death of her husband (on 18/6/1907).

I have searched using all the resources I can think of, but this is still a significant gap in my records. Any and all guidance will be appreciated. Of course, the question is: did they really go to Canada, or was it USA, or even Australia, and did she remarry and change her name...? I don't' find them on any UK censuses either.

Brian Millo (Havant, UK)

They were still in Islington in 1911, mistranscribed as Mills:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 12-01-12, 13:16.

Comment

This is the marriage cert in case you don't have it:

Annie's age of 22 in 1905 matches the age of 28 in 1911.

Comment

I can't see an obvious emigration for them, and there's a possible death on Ancestry:

Annie F Millo / abt 1886 / Apr-May-Jun 1931 / Battersea / London

The date and middle initial aren't quite right, but it might be worth investigating in view of the unusual surname.

Can't see an obvious marriage or death for Violet; there's nothing indexed under Millo, and lots unfortunately under Mills.

Comment

Annie's on the electoral roll in Islington until 1912:

No sign of her on the London electoral rolls after that, so she presumably either remarried, moved out of London, or emigrated.

There's also an Annie Florence Millo listed there, who may well be the one whose death I found in 1931.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            Annie's on the electoral roll in Islington until 1912:

No sign of her on the London electoral rolls after that, so she presumably either remarried, moved out of London, or emigrated.

There's also an Annie Florence Millo listed there, who may well be the one whose death I found in 1931.
            That Annie Florence is shown in 1922 with an Albert Arthur Millo in Gilbey Road, Tooting, London SW17.
            My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Yes, so I think that death is wrong.

Pity that the latest Canadian census online is 1911.

Comment

There is a 1916 Canadian census of Alberta, Manitoba & Saskatchewan on Ancestry, but I can't find either Annie or Violet on there.
                My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Yes, I'd forgotten that, but I did do a general search on Ancestry, and nothing came up.

Comment

Thank you, LangleyValeSue and Mary from Italy (cosa fai in Italia, Mary? - e dove sei? Ho parenti (de Filippis) a Genova, anche a Cava de' Tirreni, vicino a Salerno...). You are going through the same process as I did, and unfortunately with the same result! South London addresses for "my" Millos are likely to be wrong, as we remained in the Dalston/Hackney/Haggerston/Islington area pretty consistently. I guess that Annie remarried, possibly changing not only her own surname but Violet's as well. I always think of Violet as a little girl of about 6, but of course she'd be 105 now! The story about Canada might also be wrong... . We found the gravestone for Alfred Albert Millo in Abney Park Cemetery (now closed for burials, but indexed), now full of names for the rest of the family - all very moving when you come to remove the thick overgrowth of ivy from the marble. But I'm rambling now... Thanks again - I'll post if I make any progress.

Comment

Ciao Brian, sono in Piemonte, ormai da trent'anni

Comment

Ciao, Mary. How well I remember our treks in the 1950s from Moncenisio through Piemonte and into Liguria where we stayed with our Italian cousins in Genova! And we shall be going again this year, as part of a long trek all the way down to Cava de' Tirreni to make sure that we meet as many of the family as we can in various places - including an old friend in Torino whom I haven't seen for nearly 60 years!

(On reading through this after writing it, I see that it's rather long, for which I apologise. But I'm asking only for pointers to locations where I can find the records. I guess that my Italian will be good enough for such enquiries - even in Neapolitan country! - but I know that I can also call on truly bi-lingual friends/family for assistance if I need it.)

During that trek I shall need to look for two historical sources, in particular - perhaps you can advise me on exact locations - both in the South. My g-grandmother was Rosa Genoino "Nobildonna di Napoli", and I believe that her birth record is in the archives in Naples, recording also her parents, Michele G (b. 28/4/1811) and Fortunata Benincasa. Do you know where these archives would be, or would I need to know exactly the commune or frazione? In particular, Fortunata B is very difficult to track down because the surname is so widespread. Unfortunately, the Genoino family in Cava lost most of their records in the earthquake of 1980, so I am trying to fill this particular gap. The librarian in Cava (the excellent Rita Taglè) told me that Rosa G was probably also married in Naples, as there was no record that she could find in Cava.

The second source that I'd like to find is the birth of my mother's cousin Giuliano de Filippis (1914-1993), whose grandson tells me that Giuliano was born in palazzo Reale in Caserta - "because his father, Ferdinando de Filippis (1883-1960) was on the staff there at the time [1914]". How would I find the records of what was going on in those days? Again, would they be in the archives of La Reggia, or in the public offices of Caserta? The father, "uncle Nando", played a significant role in both World Wars, and eventually became Generale di Finanza Grande Ufficiale, so the story is entirely believable. I wish I had asked uncle Nando about it before he died - but I was only a small boy at the time.

Best wishes,
                        Brian M.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm not really the right person to ask, because I've done hardly any Italian research. All my family are in England and Australia; I have had a go at my OH's tree, as my son was interested, but I haven't got very far with it.
                          Next time I go to the LDS centre in Vercelli I can ask, but I'm not sure if the volunteer there knows much about such early research.

I suppose you've tried asking on Italian genealogy forums, like http://www.tuttogenealogia.it ?

Anything pre-1860 is likely to be in either the diocesan archives or the State archives for the area, I should think, other than parish records, which are held by local priests, as I'm sure you know. I'll have a quick google to see if I can find anything.
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-01-12, 14:43.

Comment

Do you know roughly when your great-grandmother was born? Where did the information about her being a nobildonna come from? Her children's birth records?

Comment

So far as your mother's cousin goes, I would have thought that his birth would have been registered in the Caserta anagrafe, even if he was born in the Royal Palace, as it was a legal requirement. I would try e-mailing them. If they don't bother replying (which Italian town councils don't always, as you may have discovered), let me know, and I'll phone them for you.

e-mail: settore.servizi.demografici@comune.caserta.it

Comment

On the outgoing passenger lists in 1939 there is an Annie MILES born 1880 travelling with Violet MILES born 1906 to Canada. Could this be them?
                                Lauren =)

Comment

Naples State Archives may well have something for Rosa; I've just had a look at their website, and they hold the Atti dello stato civile 1809-1900 :

Nothing online, so you'd have to go in person.

Comment

That sounds promising, Lauren, well done. I'd tried Mills, and didn't find them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                      That sounds promising, Lauren, well done. I'd tried Mills, and didn't find them.
                                      I tried that also, but ticked 'include variants' and this was one of the results :-)
                                      Lauren =)

Comment

You're brilliant, Lauren S! It looks as if they went much later than I had thought - but that's all down to Chinese Whispers in the family, of course. As soon as I am properly awake this morning I shall follow up your lead - for which, many thanks. I'm using Ancestry now, so I suppose I can perform the same search using Miles as the surname. Millo is often misspelled (Mills and Milo are the most common), but I did not consider Miles. Brian.

Comment

Working...
                                        X