Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Olde Crone.
    Amelia

My avatar is my grandfather William as a baby. His origins are shrouded in mystery.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      That will would be worth looking at!

So, it looks as if we have identified the rich ship builders and the barrister. But who was the mummy?

OC
      My half-cousin's first DNA test indicated that we, who share one grandfather, have the name SAUNDERS in our line. The ancestor of the distant cousin was named John SAUNDERS but I found about 5 of them and could not determine which was the right one. I will look up the details again because one of his descendants had an unusual enough name to make the job easier for research.

I looked at people named SAUNDERS on Google images and found a number of people who tend to have light red hair and thin lips. My mother and one half-cousin and my full cousin are redheads and also mostly thin-lipped. According to family legend the barrister had relations with a red-haried garderner's daughter. I'd really like to know who was employed by Joshua L. Field III? Her name was said to have been Cooper but this never came up from a DNA test. She could have been raised as a Cooper from infancy, but biologically been a SAUNDERS. Who knows, but it seems the long COOPER search was all in vain. :-(
      Amelia

My avatar is my grandfather William as a baby. His origins are shrouded in mystery.....

Comment

• It really might be worth your while getting a copy of that Will. I had something similar in my tree, strongly suspected Lord Very Rich was the natural father of two illegitimate children. His Will proved it to my satisfaction because although he still did not acknowledge paternity, he left the bulk of his huge fortune to these two apparently random people with no comment as to why.

OC

Comment

• From Post 132.

Dark Secret:
          I was looking for a COOPER/WATSON marriage and only found one on IOW

Marriages Jun 1892
          Cooper Mary Ellen I. Wight 2b 1075
          Watson Joseph Edward I. Wight 2b 1075
          Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
          This is interesting. Joseph b Portsmouth 1867 and Mary Ellen b IOW 1863 are living in Brightstone St Mary, IOW 1901 with two children Albert 1893 and Bessie 1895.
          Joseph is a blacksmith same as William Mumford. Maybe a coincidence but maybe they knew each other?
          William Watson 2 was born Southsea, Hants which is part of Portsmouth.
          Was just looking for a Cooper connection to a solicitor and my devious mind came up with this:
          Mary Ellen Cooper in 1891 was a servant to George Harward, a retired Librarian Barrister - Solicitor at Brixton IOW. **** Perhaps she had a relationship with said Solicitor later after her marriage and her husband refused to acknowledge the baby and as hubby Joseph was a blacksmith and may have known William Mumford........................

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

****Or rather as a Barrister perhaps he knew Joshua Leslie FIELD and introduced them????
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 11-10-18, 18:44.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

• There were unconfirmed rumours in my family that the "grandfather" or someone in the family helped William financially. I would not know how to get probate records for Joshua Leslie FIELD. Certainly William's foster mother, Isabella Newman, and her supposed husband, Joseph C. Fricker (no records of any marriage were ever found) were able to sail to Canada and settle in Ontario and start a business. Joseph became a grocer. It would have taken some financing to have done this.
            Amelia

Comment

• Interesting theory!
              Amelia

Comment

• Originally posted by zoomer View Post
                My half-cousin's first DNA test indicated that we, who share one grandfather, have the name SAUNDERS in our line. The ancestor of the distant cousin was named John SAUNDERS but I found about 5 of them and could not determine which was the right one. I will look up the details again because one of his descendants had an unusual enough name to make the job easier for research.
                My half-cousin had already done extensive research on the other family lines and I have confidence that if she says that the name SAUNDERS is in our common family line (the shared grandfather), that I can ttrust this to be true.
                Amelia

Comment

• Just throwing some thoughts around.

Telford had a yacht and that would be a link to the IOW if nothing else. I would therefore think the Maudslay-Field family would have had some kind of property on the IOW, which of course would have required staff including gardeners. I don't have subs to look at census for, say, 1891 and 1901 to investigate this idea.

Zoomer - your dna contact with Telford Field in their tree - how accurate is that tree and which other Fields/Maudslays do they have in it?

OC

Comment

• This is where you can find probates and order wills

Comment

• Interesting.
                      Telford Field
                      will

Telford Field.JPG

Name Telford Field
                      1889 Oct-Nov-Dec
                      Age at Death 54
                      Registration district South Stoneham
                      Volume 2c Page 25
                      Kat

Comment

• I have drawn up a tree on Ancestry . If anyone wants to look - pm me an email address or Ancestry username
                        Kat

Comment

• Kat

I have pm-ed you.

OC

Comment

• I am just posting this here because I found it, not because it is particularly relevant but you never know....

Kenneth Douglas Field was one of the two brothers who died in the war. He died in Nov 1917 and his widow later donated money towards a war memorial, along with other local worthies. What caught my eye was that one of the donors was a market gardener, but not a Cooper or Saunders.

OC

Comment

• OMG!!!!!

I've cracked it, I think!

Go to

Rescuing from oblivion the stories of those commemorated on the Parish War Memorial and of the families who lived alongside them.

Look at the biog for Archibald Francis Noble and read all about Arthur David WATSON, the solicitor, the connection to the Field family and....the family mystery of why the nursemaid left......

What does everyone think???

OC

Comment

• Well, maybe not quite cracked it because the dates don't work, but it is definitely an avenue worth investigating. The coincidences are compelling.It might be possible to find the name of the nursemaid who left, as the family papers appear to be in the local archives.

OC

Comment

• Wow!
                                  Kat

Comment

• Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                    Marriages Sep 1902
                                    Field Joshua Leslie Marylebone 1a 1357
                                    Ryland Evelyn Flora

1939 with wife Eveline and his sister Madeline.
                                    West View Sunte Avenue , Cuckfield U.D., Sussex.

Will: Joshua Leslie Field died 25th April 1954, Lindfield, Sussex. Probate: Elizabeth Mary Field,widow??? and son Duncan Philip Field
                                    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...81/edit/record
                                    Of no particular importance; just tying up loose ends. This widow is wife of Kenneth Field (d 1916) not a second wife of Joshua- Elizabeth Mary Noble - Kenneth being Joshua Leslie's brother. I did wonder who she was
                                    Kat

Comment

• Kat

Elizabeth Mary Noble's daughters, Anne and Rosemary married two Watson brothers. Elizabeth Mary Noble is the daughter of the people whose nursemaid left mysteriously! Elizabeths fathr was a solicitor and her mother was nee Burt - a name which features in the Maudslay Field business. I am thus investigating the birth of William Arthur Burt in 1898 no mmn. However my kindle battery is nearly dead so I my not be back for a few hours.

OC

Comment

• Richmond Local Studies Library and Archive, ‘Evelyn Pritchard’s file on Residents of Selby House’.

This is the article referred to re diary The Nobles at Selby House 1889-1853.
                                        Access Restrictions: Restricted
                                        This record is closed until 1 January 2080 because it contains personal data relating to living individuals. However, it may be possible to access a redacted version of the record. Please contact Local Studies for further information.
                                        Kat

Comment

• Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                          Kat

Elizabeth Mary Noble's daughters, Anne and Rosemary married two Watson brothers. Elizabeth Mary Noble is the daughter of the people whose nursemaid left mysteriously! Elizabeths fathr was a solicitor and her mother was nee Burt - a name which features in the Maudslay Field business. I am thus investigating the birth of William Arthur Burt in 1898 no mmn. However my kindle battery is nearly dead so I my not be back for a few hours.

OC
                                          Yes I have noted two servants on 1891 census for Joseph Horace Noble see Ancestry . Have you not received the invite yet?

NOBLE, ARCHIBALD FRANCIS mmn STURGESS
                                          GRO Reference: 1886 S Quarter in GREENWICH Volume 01D Page 1040
                                          NOBLE, ELIZABETH MARY mmn STURGESS
                                          GRO Reference: 1888 D Quarter in GREENWICH Volume 01D Page 1074 Occasional Copy: B

Mother was Sarah Sturgess

1891 census Nobles Plus 2 servants:

Faith Crossley cook age 20 Langford, Bedfordshire.
                                          Isabel Liffen nurse age 19 Erith, Kent.
                                          Neither servants were still there in 1901
                                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 12-10-18, 11:39.
                                          Kat

Comment

Working...
                                          X