1940 US Census ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 US Census ?

I'm wondering if anyone with a Worldwide sub to Ancestry can find this couple for me please, it's driving me mad that I cannot spot them.

here's what I know:

Charles [A] Lydall marries Lucy [J] Nichols bracketed initials seem to be ones they have added through the years. anyhow they marry in 1876 and have two children, Nettie 1877-1927 & William Henry 1879-1955.

I have them on most census and I can see that they are in trade directory in 1939 :

Name: Lucy J Lydall
    Residence Year: 1939
    Street address: 23 Webster
    Residence Place: Haverhill; Groveland; Merrimac, Massachusetts, USA
    Spouse: Charles A Lydall
    Publication Title: Haverhill, Massachusetts, City Directory, 1939

I have both of their deaths occurring in December 1940, so they should be on the 1940 cens.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help to find them please. Thank you.

ETA: they were living in Hartford/New Britain Connecticut up to the 1910 US census after that they appear
    1920 • Quincy Ward 6, Norfolk, Massachusetts, USA
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 07-02-20, 18:42. Reason: added a bit
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Hi Julie - I have found 23 Webster St Haverhill on the 1940 and unfortunately they are not there. The inhabitants are a 72 year old widow, Grace Pulsiter and her single 49 year old daughter Pauline. Haven't been able to find anyone that could possibly be them yet, but will carry on looking.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
      Hi Julie - I have found 23 Webster St Haverhill on the 1940 and unfortunately they are not there. The inhabitants are a 72 year old widow, Grace Pulsiter and her single 49 year old daughter Pauline. Haven't been able to find anyone that could possibly be them yet, but will carry on looking.
      Thank you Linda, I have been looking but definitely not seeing them.. I am wondering if they are in an institution? no clue how to look for that though! I did think it odd though that their deaths appear to be together..

I will have a look to see if I can find a burial.. that might help with it.
      Julie

Comment

I had a look at the city directory and it actually says they lived at 123 Webster. On the census the person living there is Edith Howe, a 68 year old unmarried lady. When I checked in the 1939 directory, it does have her listed as living at 123 Webster as well. Maybe the Lydalls were boarding with her and she didn't mention them to the census taker?
        Linda

Comment

I had a look at the city directory and it actually says they lived at 123 Webster. On the census the person living there is Edith Howe, a 68 year old unmarried lady. When I checked in the 1939 directory, it does have her listed as living at 123 Webster as well. Maybe the Lydalls were boarding with her and she didn't mention them to the census taker?
          not sure Linda, I'm not having much luck even trying to find a blooming burial :( plenty for his uncle Charles

:madd:
          Julie

Comment

familysearch's 1940 index, imo, is more reliable than ancestry's, but I didn't find Lucy there.

They could have been transitioning between addresses, and missed the enumerator. Altho US census is supposed to be for a particular day, the enumerator still visited, and of course, couldn't get it all done the same day/week/month.

Have you seen this obit:
            Name: Charles A. Lydall
            Death Age: 85
            Residence Place: New Britain grocer
            Death Date: 16 Dec
            Death Place: Manchester
            Burial Place: Wallaston, Mass.
            Obituary Date: 17 Dec 1940
            Obituary Place: Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America
            Child: William H. Lydall
            Siblings: Walter E. Lvdall

That's just the index, newspaper.com has the rest:

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              familysearch's 1940 index, imo, is more reliable than ancestry's, but I didn't find Lucy there.

They could have been transitioning between addresses, and missed the enumerator. Altho US census is supposed to be for a particular day, the enumerator still visited, and of course, couldn't get it all done the same day/week/month.

Have you seen this obit:

https://www.newspapers.com/image/370...71106&xid=2378
              oooooooooooo I hadn't thought of looking there Sarah.. thank you.

hmm in the death index it has lucy too on the next page, a little bit puzzling as they seem to have died together?

i'll have a look at the paper now. thank you :smilee:
              Julie

Comment

Have you seen this obit:

https://www.newspapers.com/image/370...71106&xid=2378
                You beat me to it Photofamily with the newspapers.com link although I have a slightly different URL. It looks as if it might be a reasonably detailed obit as the name Lydall features 5 times within it. Like you, haven't found Lydia mentioned in 1940.

Christine
                Last edited by Karamazov; 07-02-20, 21:17.
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

poooooooo I haven't got a sub for that.. which is a bit rubbish as it used to be combined in with Ancestry
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    poooooooo I haven't got a sub for that.. which is a bit rubbish as it used to be combined in with Ancestry
                    But hopefully someone on here will have...

Christine
                    Researching:
                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                      But hopefully someone on here will have...

Christine
                      Yes, with a little luck :smilee: thank you for the help Linda, Sarah and you Christine. Most appreciated
                      Julie

Comment

Yes, with a little luck :smilee: thank you for the help Linda, Sarah and you Christine. Most appreciated
                        I've been looking at the newspapers.com site quite a lot over the last couple of weeks for a lot of my Americans and Canadians. Even the snippets can be helpful, but I'm thinking I might take up the free 7 day trial when I have a week with plenty of time for snipping and saving!

Christine
                        Researching:

Comment

Found it!

Charles A Lydall.png
                          Linda

Comment

Re dying at almost the same time. I don't find it that strange. I have quite a lot of examples of very old couples dying within days or weeks of each other. Several were buried together, the deaths were so close. Quite sweet really.
                            Anne

Comment

Perhaps they missed the census because they were hospitalised.

This is probably a red herring but thegenealogist shows both a Charles and a Lucy Lydall in Oregon in 1940. My gold subscription level will not allow me to see the detail so I don't even know if they are together. It seems unlikely that they would be so far from home unless they had gone there for the climate for health reasons.
                              People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                              Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

hmm in the death index it has lucy too on the next page, a little bit puzzling as they seem to have died together?
                                I believe FHCs have a sub, but not sure when I'll next be at mine.

I have a great-aunt and her spouse who died within a day of each other. I was thinking all kinds of gruesome thoughts until I obtained their DCs - both of natural causes.

So, the index page for them on Ancestry (which is mistranscribed, reporting Charles as Charles Lucy Lyddall), shows that their dcs are not on or even right after each other
                                Volume Number: 47 [corrected, as it was mistranscribed]
                                Page Number: 247 [corrected, as it was mistranscribed]
                                Index Volume Number: 97

and lucy
                                Volume Number: 46
                                Page Number: 353

not sure that's significant, tho.
                                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 07-02-20, 23:33.

Comment

I have also been looking at that index, and a little bit of further search has showed that volume 46 has 502 pages, there appears to be only one entry per page. The entry for Volume 46 page 367 (the closest I could find after Lucy's entry) has a death date of 31 Mar 1940, so it might be that Lucy died sometime in March which was just before the census. Could Charles have been staying with family then?
                                  Linda

Comment

I believe FHCs have a sub, but not sure when I'll next be at mine.

I have a great-aunt and her spouse who died within a day of each other. I was thinking all kinds of gruesome thoughts until I obtained their DCs - both of natural causes.

So, the index page for them on Ancestry (which is mistranscribed, reporting Charles as Charles Lucy Lyddall), shows that their dcs are not on or even right after each other
                                    Volume Number: 47 [corrected, as it was mistranscribed]
                                    Page Number: 247 [corrected, as it was mistranscribed]

and lucy
                                    Volume Number: 46
                                    Page Number: 353

not sure that's significant, tho.
                                    Thanks Sarah, I had done the corrections, but been going bog eyed..
                                    Julie

Comment

Found it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20522[/ATTACH]
                                      Thank you Linda, from reading this then she pre deceased him then? :smilee:
                                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                        Re dying at almost the same time. I don't find it that strange. I have quite a lot of examples of very old couples dying within days or weeks of each other. Several were buried together, the deaths were so close. Quite sweet really.
                                        Anne
                                        That's true. I guess I'm just not used to seeing deaths in quick succession. [except on my transcribing where I see whole families wiped out by the lurgy]

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                                        Perhaps they missed the census because they were hospitalised.

This is probably a red herring but thegenealogist shows both a Charles and a Lucy Lydall in Oregon in 1940. My gold subscription level will not allow me to see the detail so I don't even know if they are together. It seems unlikely that they would be so far from home unless they had gone there for the climate for health reasons.

ooooo thank you Webwiz.. i'll have a butchers :smilee:
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X