RootsTech London!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RootsTech London!

Early bird pre-registration is open for RootsTech London!

From the SoG newsletter: "You must register before the end of Saturday 2 March. You can buy a full 3-day conference pass for £89. Or, if you can only attend for one day, you can buy a 1-day pass for £49. Your pass, at this reduced price, enables you to attend the keynote sessions and attend all class sessions and gives you access to the exhibition hall."

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I've signed up for the Friday.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

sometimes wished i still lived down south.

Comment

Ouch that’s really expensive.

Compare that to Family Tree Live in April 26/27th at £10 per ticket and all lectures and workshops free, plus a free 20 minute consultation with an expert, there is no comparison.

Most people are on a budget and roots tech does seem ludicrously expensive to me.
      My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
        Ouch that’s really expensive.

Compare that to Family Tree Live in April 26/27th at £10 per ticket and all lectures and workshops free, plus a free 20 minute consultation with an expert, there is no comparison.

Most people are on a budget and roots tech does seem ludicrously expensive to me.
        It's the big one though with the big names in the genealogical world who need paying and generally on a bigger scale altogether. FTL has a small number of workshops most of which (at least the ones I want to go to or can get to) appear to be full already and a smaller number of exhibitors too. I'll be able to make up my own mind if my ticket to FTL ever arrives.
        Caroline
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Is anyone else going? I know Paul is now. I shall be there on the Friday, trains etc. permitting.

The programme is looking very interesting.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Caroline

Comment

London is just too far away for me. That’s why I never went to WDYTYA either. Then they moved it to Birmingham which was still a big hike. Was delighted when they came to Glasgow but sadly I couldn’t go. I thought, never mind, I’ll go next time only to discover they pulled the plug after only one visit.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              London is just too far away for me. That’s why I never went to WDYTYA either. Then they moved it to Birmingham which was still a big hike. Was delighted when they came to Glasgow but sadly I couldn’t go. I thought, never mind, I’ll go next time only to discover they pulled the plug after only one visit.
              Even though I am much closer than you, it's going to be a very, very long day! :D

There is a mobile app for anyone who is going to be there.

The Android link doesn't appear to work.
              Caroline

Comment

It is possible to get a virtual pass for the three days to watch some but not all the workshops etc. online instead:

or there is a free live stream: https://www.rootstech.org/london/live-stream-schedule
                Caroline

Comment

That virtual pass sounds really good but I’ve looked everywhere on the site (I think) and can’t see a list of the which classes etc. are excluded. Does anybody know?

Comment

Yes I’m definitely there for all 3 days

Comment

It was an exhausting but brilliant day. I bumped into PaulC first thing by chance and then by arrangement later in the day - Paul had organised a meet up for the #ancestryhour Twitter group which I lurk on so met/saw other familiar faces. When I've got my head round it all, I'll write more about it and add some pictures if they're any good, but all I can say is, if they come again I'm doing more days!
                      Caroline

Comment

Three of the sessions each day are live streamed - and then recorded for catchup.

I missed the keynote speech yesterday as the demos overran and I preferred to hear about the upcoming new version of FH ..... so will be catching up on that and all the others.
                        Caroline

Comment

Anything you learned/inspired you that you are going to set out do?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            Anything you learned/inspired you that you are going to set out do?
                            Well, I was surprised how much I already knew, but lots of reminders of things I'd forgotten and I might now dip my little toe into chromosome painting ... I think the buzz was about meeting people "in the flesh" and talking to complete strangers from all over who share my interest and listening to very good speakers. I am looking at how easy it will be to get to Family Tree Live at Alexandra Palace in April .... so far it looks just as straightforward as yesterday but a slightly later start!
                            Caroline

Comment

Ally Palace is a strange one with regards to transport. I have looked at going to knit and stitch and the stamping show that was there, and seemed quite a faff, compared with it is North London and I am North of London! Years and years ago I went to several exhibitions when I lived in Essex and just drove wasn't really far from my Nan's in Finchley, all different now though

We had to go to Brompton recently and in the end we stayed the night in an IBIS in Earls court (I think!), was pleasantly surprised at the cost as it was London. Premier Inn etc all seem a much better price and lots of them around now. It was a Sunday night though
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-10-19, 12:43.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

you can get a premier inn for £33 at Tottenham Hale! wow am impressed
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

I finally finished my write up about my day - it's got pictures so it's easier to put the link here rather than copy it over:

I've put links in to the handouts for the sessions I went to and I think you should be able find your way round to look at the other handouts too .... I wasn't logged into the site and can see them all.
                                  Caroline

Comment

Here’s my take on RootsTech with plenty of pictures

Wow, where did those three days go!! A bit like when you were a child looking forward to Christmas, the build up and expectation are enormous and it takes forever to arrive, then before you know it…

Comment

Some great pictures Caroline, especially the one of me and you!

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                      I finally finished my write up about my day - it's got pictures so it's easier to put the link here rather than copy it over:

I've put links in to the handouts for the sessions I went to and I think you should be able find your way round to look at the other handouts too .... I wasn't logged into the site and can see them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                                        Some great pictures Caroline, especially the one of me and you!
                                        I borrowed a couple of yours, duly credited thank you. The not-a-selfie one is not the most flattering one of me but the one taken by Marie is good..

I found that I have a picture of the panorama being taken but it was a bit blurry so didn't use it.
                                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X