Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taukkyan Commonwealth Cemetery, Yangon, Burma (Myannmar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taukkyan Commonwealth Cemetery, Yangon, Burma (Myannmar)

Hi

I will shortly be visiting Myanmarr on holiday and during this trip I will stopping off at the Commonwealth Cemetery and Memorial in Taukkyan where British and Commonwealth soldiers from WW1 and WW11 are buried. Whilst I wont have lots of time I am more than happy to take any photographs if anyone has relatives that are buried there. However, I will need to know the relevant grave details to ensure that I know where I am looking. Please PM me if you would like me to try to undertake this.

Thanks

Gill

what a great offer hope somebody takes you up on it, shame I dont have anybody there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
      Hi

I will shortly be visiting Myanmarr on holiday and during this trip I will stopping off at the Commonwealth Cemetery and Memorial in Taukkyan where British and Commonwealth soldiers from WW1 and WW11 are buried. Whilst I wont have lots of time I am more than happy to take any photographs if anyone has relatives that are buried there. However, I will need to know the relevant grave details to ensure that I know where I am looking. Please PM me if you would like me to try to undertake this.

Thanks

Gill
      Hi Gill,
      Wow - thrilled to see your kind offer - I've just sent you a PM.
      Hope you have a great trip.
      Regards,
      Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Im bumping this up in case it gets missed. Hope thats ok?

Comment

I'd just like to publicly thank Gill who has just sent me an email and photos of the grave and cemetery after her initial trip in 2019 was cancelled and rearranged for this year. I'd also just like to quote from Gill's email as I was very moved by it:

We had a very peaceful and moving visit to the Cemetery. It was very easy to identify the memorial that we were looking for and as you can see it was very nicely laid out and very neat. There was a team of gardeners which appeared to be working non stop around the Cemetery. Before we travelled I took the opportunity to read up a little about your Man and I left the paperwork in a plastic folder by the side of the memorial for anyone else visiting to have a read. I felt that his bravery deserved some recognition from people of today!
          Unfortunately our travels did not take us near enough, or allow a detour, for us to visit the place of the battle. We had a minute's silence for him with some of our fellow travellers so he has been well and truly remembered!

Thank you so much, Gill.

Very best wishes,

Christine
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

That is lovely, feel quite moved by it.
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

How touching, well done Gill.

Comment

How thoughtful of Gill to do all that for you. You must have felt really moved by such a kind gesture, Christine.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                X