Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Bertie,

Yes,you've been very quiet recently. Good to hear from you again.

Will check out the marriage for you as soon as I can get to town.

Lesley

Comment

• Alverstoke look-up for Bertie

Finally managed to find the Microfiche Reader available today after two attempts last week!! Seems to be getting popular again.

Willam Clement OFA Widower Bricklayer of Gosport Father Joseph Clement Labourer
      married
      Elizabeth OFA Spinster of Gosport Father William Nisbett Labourer

Witness ? unfortunately couldn't be 100% on this one but looks like ? Windebank or Misslebrook??

other witness Mary Jane Turner.

Hope this helps Bertie

Lesley

Comment

• Alverstoke Look up for Sumberlin Fields

Unfortunately, didn't have much luck with your request for a look up.

I did find the baptism of John Moone son of William and Ann . 16/6/1602. There was no other information and it was difficult to read but am almost sure the name was Ann and not Emme.

Did try to find the marriage of William and Ann but the fiche seems to start in 1589 and you quoted the marriage as being in 1588. Had great difficulty in reading the fiches of this era and must admit, in the end, I gave up!! Very time consuming plus I am not familiar with the new fiche reader they have now at the Study Centre. It is very slow too.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Lesley
        Last edited by Punchs mum; 14-06-16, 20:00.

Comment

• Thanks for the effort, Lesley. I knew it was a long shot, but it never hurts to ask.

John Moone came to Virginia in 1623 aboard the Returne of London sometime after February 23 because his name isn't on the "Census of the Living and the Dead in Virginia." In 1624/5 he was living near Jamestown at a place called Pasbehays with three servants when there was a "muster" taken of people living in Virginia. By February 1628/9, he was living in what would become Isle of Wight County when he was involved in a lawsuit brought against him by Mrs. Rachel Pollantine. In March he was back in court for saying some insulting things about the commander of the area, Nathaniel Bass. Starting in about 1633, he received several grants of land along Pagan Creek. His wife Susan came over before 1635 when she was granted 50 acres for her own "personal adventure." In 1639, John Moone was one of men selected to represent Isle of Wight County in the House of Burgess, also serving in that capacity in 1652 and 1654.

Susan predeceased him. His will is undated, but at the time of writing he was married to a woman named Prudence. She'd been a widow with two children also mentioned in the will, William Wilson and Joan Garland, wife of Peter Garland. The will was recorded August 12, 1655. John Moone's three daughters were Sarah, Susanna, and Mary. It is a assumed that Susan was their mother. They would marry John Pitt, Thomas Norsworthy, and Thomas Green respectively. After the death of Thomas Green in 1686, Mary would marry Philip McCoddin before 1689. She was still alive in 1712 when she witnessed the will of her son-in-law, John Davis. I descend from the daughter of John and Mary Davis, Prudence. Mary Green Davis died in 1714. Her mother isn't mentioned in the will, so I think she'd died as well. Prudence married twice. First to John Wrenn who died in about 1734 or 1735, then to Nicholas Bourden in 1736. I come from this second marriage. She had two children with Wrenn and five with Bourden.

Becky

Comment

• Thanks Lesley. It was a bit of a long shot, but definitely worth it as Elizabeth was quite an elderly spinster when she married and the father confirms it and he [the husband] was even older! SO, many thanks again
            Last edited by Bertie; 15-06-16, 11:17.

Comment

• Pleased to be able to help, Bertie!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi again Lesley. I know you've just been but could you (at your leisure of course!) look up the following marriage for me, found just now in the papers?

Mary Ann WILKINSON 14 Jul 1867 St. John's Forton to Charles Richard LAMING

I am particularly interested in name and occ of father.

Thanks so much

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Just a quick request when next you visit the study centre could you look up this marriage:-

Name Henry Wm. Creswell
                  Spouse's Name Sophia Hanford
                  Event Date 17 Dec 1813
                  Event Place Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

I have a marriage from the previous year, 1812, for a couple with similar names which you kindly provided me several years ago. I’m particularly interested in the quoted age of Sophia and if consent had to be granted if under age. If this record does exist please try to get a scan, it may be of interest to another researcher.

Ray

Comment

• Hi Ray, am not at home at the moment but those names ring a bell! Didn't Wm Cresswell marry Sophie HAWFORD?
                    Will check my paperwork later....just that the names sound familiar.

Anyway, will check out the dates for you when am in town next.

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley - just to check....did you clock my request above? Thanks for all your help

Comment

• Oooops Bertie!
                        No, I didn't see your request! It's been quiet for some time and now it's all coming at once! Lol
                        Will add it to the list! Good job you pointed it out!

Lesley

Comment

• bertie
                          Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                          Hi again Lesley. I know you've just been but could you (at your leisure of course!) look up the following marriage for me, found just now in the papers?

Mary Ann WILKINSON 14 Jul 1867 St. John's Forton to Charles Richard LAMING

I am particularly interested in name and occ of father.

Thanks so much

Comment

• Bertie,

If you look on Knightsroot.co.uk web site you will see the marriage of Mary wilkinson and a Charles Richard LANNING. Looks like what you are looking for. It's on page 131 of Forton Marriages. There are some other Lamings list as well

Lesley
                            Last edited by Punchs mum; 19-06-16, 12:08. Reason: Added to post

Comment

• Thanks Lesley - you're very much on the ball aren't you!

Comment

• Lookup for Raywhit.

Hi Ray,

I could find no marriage in 1813 for Henry Cresswell to Sophia Hannworth! There were no marriages between 13th and 20th December at St. Marys, Alverstoke.

I have reprinted the 1812 marriage cert. of Sophia Haworth and Cresswell for you. I know you didn't request that one but the image is so much clearer on the new equipment I thought you might like to see it!

Will scan to you this evening as I am using iPad at the moment!

Lesley

Comment

• just to be clear, its knightroots not knightsroot

Linda & Tony Knight
                                  Hampshire OPC

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                                  Bertie,

If you look on Knightsroot.co.uk web site you will see the marriage of Mary wilkinson and a Charles Richard LANNING. Looks like what you are looking for. It's on page 131 of Forton Marriages. There are some other Lamings list as well

Lesley

Comment

• Apologies Linda and Tony Knight!
                                    I thought I had corrected it as I did realise my mistake after posting. Obviously I didn't!

Lesley
                                    Originally posted by knightroots View Post
                                    just to be clear, its knightroots not knightsroot

Linda & Tony Knight
                                    Hampshire OPC

Comment

• Hi Lesley,

I've just discovered this thread, and wonder whether you might be able to check something for me if you have the chance. I'd be very grateful!

My ancestor Samuel Gibbins married Mary Ann Hatch at Alverstoke on 27 July 1802. I know this only from the marriage records available on Ancestry and Findmypast, so have not seen the original parish record. I'd be very interested to know whether that record contains more information than the index records, for example the names of the witnesses to the marriage (in the hope that one of those might also be a Gibbins, and therefore give me a clue to his family!)

Mary Hatch was from Bishop's Waltham, and her family seems pretty well-documented there. Samuel's Gibbins ancestry, though, is a bit of a mystery. I assume that he must have been a resident in Alverstoke for a certain period in order for the marriage to take place there, and it therefore seems possible that Alverstoke was the home of his immediate family. He was born in late 1775 or in 1776, and within a year of his marriage was living in London, where their children were born.

The death records show a Hannah Gibbins and a John Gibbins dying in Alverstoke in 1804, respectively on 12 February and 5 March. I don't know their ages at death - would this be shown in the parish records? There are records in the 18th and early 19th century of others named Gibbins (or Gibbens) in Portsmouth and area, as well as the quite well-documented Gibbins family in the Basingstoke area of Hampshire, but I feel that I will only be able to make a link with those families, if any, if I can find more details about Samuel and his immediate family in Alverstoke (if any!) circa 1802.

Thanks very much!

David

Comment

• Hello David,

Will take a look at the Parish Records when I am in town and the Study Centre next to see what I can find. Don't go as often as I used to but will be ASAP

Lesley

Comment

• Thanks very much Lesley. I had thought of visiting the Study Centre myself, but it would be a big trip for me and I felt that I needed just a little bit more about Sam Gibbins' Alverstoke connection to think that the visit would be worthwhile - and then I saw your very generous offer in this thread. I'd be very grateful for anything you might be able to find.

Comment

Working...
                                          X