The McClures of Killinchy Co Down and New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The McClures of Killinchy Co Down and New Zealand

I have been trying to find out information relating to the parents and siblings of David McClure who died 19.06.1890. I also cannot find his dob. He married ? 16.11.1832 a Jane Craig and arrived in Lyttleton NZ on 7.01.1862. He had 4 or more children including William c 1834, George 14.08.1838, Hans Lamont c 1843 and Sarah c 1851. I know a lot about George as he was my great grandfather but nothing about all the others. Cannot find them on the census etc. I would be grateful for any help.
    Judith

To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
    -- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

do you have a copy of the marriage:
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Children baptized same parish, some not in your time frame, none seem to match up with your list:
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Census records: Ireland pre-1901 is mostly non-existent. Australian census - others know far more, but I believe there are CDs?

Ooops, not Australian!. I have no clue about NZ records!
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 25-10-12, 02:05.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
      do you have a copy of the marriage:

Children baptized same parish, some not in your time frame, none seem to match up with yours:
      https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ber%3AC70030-1
      Many thanks, No I have no copy of the marriage, Is Family search.org reliable?
      Judith
      Judith

Comment

Familysearch's online gen index can be broken into two basic categories: the old IGI & record transcription. I view the old IGI as a guidepost: go verify what you see with the actual record. Record transcription is another matter: two volunteer indexers (you can be one too!) independently enter data. An arbitrator views differences and selects the best transcription. I've used it & I've indexed. I still want the original record.

Looking at the marriage index, you'll see that it comes from film # 824373. Going to familysearch catalog, you'll see that this is an index to a transcription:

Bummer. Don't know where the original parish record might exist. There are others on this forum who might have better websites to search thru.

One other Website I've used is rootsireland.

Irish records have had a tough time surviving thru the years. There's more available than there used to be - and more to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Bird of the South View Post
          Many thanks, No I have no copy of the marriage, Is Family search.org reliable?
          Judith

Familysearch are the Mormon Church who for many years travelled around the parishes collecting the data from Parish Records and adding it to their own now on Microfilm/microfish and is reliable, but they also have submitted information from members from their own research so if a record says submitted then you can take it or leave it but if it has a batch number for reference then it will be copied from Parish Records so you can believe it to be true.

Edna

Comment

Here is a list of all the record collections that Familysearch hold, click on the link to find the one you want then click on the collection, if it says "browse" then the records may not yet have been transcribed and you may be able to browse through the collections original records on line by clicking on it.
            I usually tell people when they are searching for a person to start with less information and add it gradually eliminating lots of stuff that is of no use by using the "refine your search" boxes

Edna

Comment

What information does it give about his age, birthplace and parents on his death cert? What are his children's birthplaces? Were they RC or Protestant?
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 27-10-12, 21:41.

Comment

Ireland, Marriages, 1619-1898," David Mc Clure, 1832
                « Back to search results No image available Search collection
                About this collection
                groom's name: David Mc Clure

bride's name: Jane Craig
                marriage date: 06 Nov 1832
                marriage place: Presbyterian,Killinchy,Down,Ireland

indexing project (batch) number: M70030-1
                system origin: Ireland-ODM
                source film number: 824373
                reference number:
                ------------------------------------------------
                Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," James Mc Clure, 1837
                name: James Mc Clure
                baptism/christening date: 04 Jul 1837
                baptism/christening place: PRESBYTERIAN,KILLINCHY,DOWN,IRELAND

father's name: David Mc Clure

indexing project (batch) number: C70030-1
                source film number: 0823877 IT 6, 0824373 IT 4
                reference number:
                Citing this Record
                "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5T1-HP6 : accessed 27 Oct 2012), James Mc Clure, 04 Jul 1837; citing reference , FHL microfilm 0823877 IT 6, 0824373 IT 4.
                ----------------------------------------
                Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881,"
                Elizabeth Mc Clure,

name: Elizabeth Mc Clure
                baptism/christening date: 29 Nov 1835

father's name: David Mc Clure

reference number:
                Citing this Record
                "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5TY-QYY : accessed 27 Oct 2012), Elizabeth Mc Clure, 29 Nov 1835; citing reference , FHL microfilm 0823877 IT 6, 0824373 IT 4.

Edna

Comment

Hello Mary,
                  I have absolutely no information apart from the fact they were born in Killinchy Co down and emigrated to NZ. I believe they were protestants. William and George were born in Killinchy Co Down and Hans and Sarah in Ballymacreely, Co Down.
                  Judith
                  Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  What information does it give about his age, birthplace and parents on his death cert? What are his children's birthplaces? Were they RC or Protestant?
                  Judith

Comment

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ion_id=1584963 I hope you can see this page as It is all the baptisms for Killinchy in alphabetical order and I have found a baptism for Jane Craig

Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," Jane Craig, 1812
                    name: Jane Craig
                    baptism/christening date: 03 Sep 1812

father's name: Saml Craig

reference number:
                    Citing this Record
                    "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5TY-NQ6 : accessed 27 Oct 2012), Jane Craig, 03 Sep 1812; citing reference , FHL microfilm 0823877 IT 6, 0824373 IT 4.

Hope this helps

Edna

Comment

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ber%3AC70030-1 sorry this is the correct page for Killinchy baptisms

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Bird of the South View Post
                        Hello Mary,
                        I have absolutely no information apart from the fact they were born in Killinchy Co down and emigrated to NZ. I believe they were protestants. William and George were born in Killinchy Co Down and Hans and Sarah in Ballymacreely, Co Down.
                        How do you know where they were born, though? From the children's birth certs?

You really need to get the parents' marriage and death certs; if they're as informative as Aus certs, they should give ages, parents' names and birthplaces.

Comment

Thank you Edna.
                          I think I was replying to Mary when you sent your previous reply Edna so that is why I missed it; then I went on to something else. So sorry.
                          Judith

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                          https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ion_id=1584963 I hope you can see this page as It is all the baptisms for Killinchy in alphabetical order and I have found a baptism for Jane Craig

Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," Jane Craig, 1812
                          name: Jane Craig
                          baptism/christening date: 03 Sep 1812

father's name: Saml Craig

reference number:
                          Citing this Record
                          "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5TY-NQ6 : accessed 27 Oct 2012), Jane Craig, 03 Sep 1812; citing reference , FHL microfilm 0823877 IT 6, 0824373 IT 4.

Hope this helps

Edna
                          Judith

Comment

Hi I may be able to help you a bit as I am also their descendant and I still live in the area, I grew up in Killinchy Leeston NZ, and am a direct descendant of them, they are all buried here at the Ellesmere Cemetery

Comment

Welcome to the forum Blackmac, as this is quite an old thread I've sent a message to Bird of the South to alert her
                              Last edited by Jill on the A272; 15-04-16, 06:26.

Comment

Hello Blackmac and Bird of the South, I'd be most interested in any additional information also. Many thanks

Comment

Welcome to the forum, neither of the posters have been on the forum in a longtime. I have sent them a message which if they still have the same email should reach them.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                    Welcome to the forum, neither of the posters have been on the forum in a longtime. I have sent them a message which if they still have the same email should reach them.
                                    Thank you kindly, greatly appreciated.
                                    Last edited by Kirst; 12-08-22, 00:43.

Comment

Working...
                                    X