Beniston nightmare...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beniston nightmare...

Just plonking this here and trying to figure out what I can do next.

I have Rebecca BENISTON marrying Joseph HOLMES [18 Nov 1858] @ Whitwick, Leicestershire.

I have her all way thru the census until she dies.

Rebeccas father was Matthew, he was b. abt. 16 jun 1817 @ Underwood, Nottinghamshire. [Parents George BENISTON and Rebecca LILLEY]

they marry 26 Dec 1807 @ Eastwood, Nottinghamshire. [Eastwood is virtually on the border with Derbyshire, which in turn all 3 places are not that far from each other]

now, in another part of my tree I have a Mary Anne LYDALL marrying a JOSEPH BENISTON 05 May 1846 @ Whitwick, Leics,

looking at them in the census I have determined that Joseph was born abt. 1825 @ Heanor, Derbyshire. [Heanor is very near to Eastwood, Notts]
    I can only find ONE baptism for this person, and it gives his parents as William & Martha, [I can't access familysearch at the moment to get the date]

so this is looking likely for him, what I can't seem to find is that connection which would be if GEORGE BENISTON and WILLIAM BENISTON are actually brothers.

do you think that it is very likely that they are related? and can anyone find any information to prove/disprove this please.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 03-10-12, 20:00.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

dates from familysearch
    born 25th December 1824
    Baptised 24th May 1825parents William and Martha.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet H. View Post
      dates from familysearch
      born 25th December 1824
      Baptised 24th May 1825parents William and Martha.
      Thanks Janet, thats the one.. Familysearch was having a wobble last night.
      Julie

Comment

do you have any info on george or william, such as place of residence at marriage? or either of them in the census?

Comment

Did you notice on familysearch 2 of George and Rebecca's children are listed under Benestone and they are also on the non-conformist reg.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            do you have any info on george or william, such as place of residence at marriage? or either of them in the census?
            George marries Rebecca at Eastwood, Notts on 26 Dec 1807.

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
            Did you notice on familysearch 2 of George and Rebecca's children are listed under Benestone and they are also on the non-conformist reg.
            No I didn't Frazzled, thank you :smilee:
            Julie

Comment

do you have a link for these Frazzled please, I can't seem to replicate your findings.
              Julie

Comment

I hadn't got that far Kyle re the census.. :emb:
                Julie

Comment

lol julie, might be worth a quick look to see if anything sticks out?

Comment

lol julie, might be worth a quick look to see if anything sticks out?
                    I guess so Kyle.. i'll have a look see..
                    Julie

Comment

See if this link works:

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                        oooh thanks Mary, *I didn't know you could wildcard on LDS!!* WOW.. :smilee:

I had a bit of a play and did find the other children, but this was on the 1841 cens I think it was, Rebecca was showing as a widow, so I guess george had died, though I tried to look for them all in the census but kept coming back to zilch!..
                        Julie

Comment

Sorry I didn't get back to yesterday Julie but glad Mary found the link

Don't know if this will be any help but have you seen this site for a Beniston family in Derbyshire, could be a link somewhere???
                          WEBRING covers the entire spectrum of tech and brings its readers closer to the world of digital experience.

Comment

Sorry I didn't get back to yesterday Julie but glad Mary found the link

Don't know if this will be any help but have you seen this site for a Beniston family in Derbyshire, could be a link somewhere???
                            http://webspace.webring.com/people/m...iston/tree.htm
                            Thats OK Frazzled, I appreciate you looking, I hadn't seen that tree, but, I have seen the family in the census/PRs and wondered, 'Smalley' adjoins 'Heanor' and are very close to Eastwood. it is worth bearing in mind this information as it may help prove/disprove any findings I might get. Thanks you are a
                            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              I guess so Kyle.. i'll have a look see..
                              I am researching the Beniston family in Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire as they seem to have migrated in that order for work-from agriculture to coal mining and other occupations (several ran pubs in Leics.).I have gone as far back as the 1620s and have discovered many name variants, whether due to the name evolving over time,poor record keeping or transcribing errors (15 and counting- so always use the name variant option when searching) over the centuries although the surname seems to have stabilised as Beniston from Victorian times. Prime locations relating to the family are Smalley in Derbyshire then Greasley and Basford in Notts. and Whitwick and Coalville in Leics. As you have said there are other places close to these which records may appear under due to changes in the record jurisdiction, e.g. Smalley- parish records 1624-1836,then following the introduction of civil registration it came under Belper from 1837-1938 and then Ilkeston 1938-1997. According to my tree I cannot see that George and William are brothers although of course they may be related more distantly. The key is finding a baptism record for George which gives his parents. William Beniston was baptised in Greasley (just across the county border from Smalley) in 1807 (I agree that his wife was Martha Osborne).His father was baptised in Smalley in 1779 and his mother (Wm's father is not given on the record but it may be a Thomas Gilbert that Anne married in 1777 Heanor?) was Anne Benison baptised 1758 Smalley. Her parents were Jonathan Benison and Anne Yeaveley I think. Also, bear in mind that parish marriages usually took place in the bride's parish so the record for a Smalley Beniston marriage might, say, be in an adjoining parish such as Heanor, Morley, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GREGTOM7 View Post
                                I am researching the Beniston family in Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire as they seem to have migrated in that order for work-from agriculture to coal mining and other occupations (several ran pubs in Leics.).I have gone as far back as the 1620s and have discovered many name variants, whether due to the name evolving over time,poor record keeping or transcribing errors (15 and counting- so always use the name variant option when searching) over the centuries although the surname seems to have stabilised as Beniston from Victorian times. Prime locations relating to the family are Smalley in Derbyshire then Greasley and Basford in Notts. and Whitwick and Coalville in Leics. As you have said there are other places close to these which records may appear under due to changes in the record jurisdiction, e.g. Smalley- parish records 1624-1836,then following the introduction of civil registration it came under Belper from 1837-1938 and then Ilkeston 1938-1997. According to my tree I cannot see that George and William are brothers although of course they may be related more distantly. The key is finding a baptism record for George which gives his parents. William Beniston was baptised in Greasley (just across the county border from Smalley) in 1807 (I agree that his wife was Martha Osborne).His father was baptised in Smalley in 1779 and his mother (Wm's father is not given on the record but it may be a Thomas Gilbert that Anne married in 1777 Heanor?) was Anne Benison baptised 1758 Smalley. Her parents were Jonathan Benison and Anne Yeaveley I think. Also, bear in mind that parish marriages usually took place in the bride's parish so the record for a Smalley Beniston marriage might, say, be in an adjoining parish such as Heanor, Morley, etc.
                                Ahh thank you, I do need to digest this and re read the whole thread again, it has been so long since I have even looked at this line. Hopefully I may get time today though I do have other things outside of Genealogy to do. Thank you once again. :smilee:
                                Julie

Comment

Working...
                                X