Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: William Rowland & family possibly of Edmonton/Tottenham not on 1901 Census

Quote Originally Posted by Darksecretz View Post
    I can see Ernests baptism.. do you have this?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=5535641

states that the abode is Tottenham, and that William is a builder.

I'm new to this forum but getting the hang of it more now! Yes thanks I have got his baptism. So i could search on his birth in Tottenham or on William as a builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksecretz View Post
    I see that Ernest died of wounds in the great war.. how sad

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=1558

also his service recs are on Ancestry, gives his NOK as Charles Edward Rowland

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=1543
    Yes, thanks, I have got these and also his CWGC certificate showing he is remembered in Sarigol Military Cemetary. It was sad. His parents had died long before the war so I guess when he reached 19/20, there was nothing stopping him joining it. The whole story of the family is sad really. William was Constance's 3rd husband and she'd perhaps found happiness, then she had her sons but she never saw them grow up and then they all grew up without their parents. One of the sons (Edward) was my Grandad, who never ever mentioned that he'd had any brothers or talked about his parents. I found all this out too late. I think their circumstances in 1901 must have been very difficult - wherever they were, it could not have been a 'normal' life or they would have been recorded for the census like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by JES View Post
    OK thanks for looking. It's really strange that they are just not there.
    It is not unusual - I have been looking for the 1901 census for my great gran for about 8 years.
    I have even viewed the microfilm and gone through all the houses and streets. Her mum died at the same address just before the census and she married the next year, again from the same address.
    I have come to the conclusion that the form was lost, nibbled by mice or she just didn't complete the form.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

susan h
    Hi JES,

Have you considered sending for Constance's death certificate, as her address at death may be where the family were living in 1901. Do you know when William died?
    Last edited by susan h; 19-09-12 at 23:28.

Quote Originally Posted by susan h View Post
    Hi JES,

Have you considered sending for Constance's death certificate, as her address at death may be where the family were living in 1901. Do you know when William died?
    I've been thinking about it and I really must. You could well be right about a possible address. I don't know definitely when William died, but I have found a possible death record for October 1908 in West Ham. I think he must have died before 1911 as he's not on that census and the sons are all at different addresses and not with him at all. There's been a rumour in the family that he and Constance did die one shortly after the other but no-one can really confirm now.

Hello,

My gg grandfather spent all his life in the St Pancras area of London,but died in Epsom.

I found him on the 1901 under his initals in an infirmary suffering from nervous agitation, and he was then presumably transferred to Epsom Lunatic Asylum . Cause of death was madness due to syphillis.

NowI am not saying that this is what may have happened to Constance - but London hospitals, workhouses etc did send them out to other districts. Another one of mine was sent from London to Watford and died there.

I would try the 1901 using initals - a long slog since you only have two initals to work with - but you may find them that way.

Good Luck,

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Blog Entries
    JES

if you are going to get that death cert then please use the 'official' site of the GRO, other sites such as Ancestry charge silly rates for a £9.25 cert, have seen other sites that charge anything between £25-£50 for the same thing!

this is the link you will need, any questions, then please ask
    http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 20-09-12 at 08:51.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Quote Originally Posted by bcbrit View Post
    Hello,

My gg grandfather spent all his life in the St Pancras area of London,but died in Epsom.

I found him on the 1901 under his initals in an infirmary suffering from nervous agitation, and he was then presumably transferred to Epsom Lunatic Asylum . Cause of death was madness due to syphillis.

NowI am not saying that this is what may have happened to Constance - but London hospitals, workhouses etc did send them out to other districts. Another one of mine was sent from London to Watford and died there.

I would try the 1901 using initals - a long slog since you only have two initals to work with - but you may find them that way.

Good Luck,

bcbrit
    I tried that yesterday for both but no luck as yet

Val

Blog Entries
    I had a thought, maybe you could find him in the electoral rolls? it seems his address in 1894 is given as 3, Cornwall Terrace, Tottenham. though I am not quite sure how to find this in the ER's
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=93704043
    not sure if the right one but there is a William Rowland iving in 34 Welbourne Road Tottenham here in 1899

Val