William Rowland & family possibly of Edmonton/Tottenham not on 1901 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
    I can see Ernests baptism.. do you have this?

states that the abode is Tottenham, and that William is a builder.

I'm new to this forum but getting the hang of it more now! Yes thanks I have got his baptism. So i could search on his birth in Tottenham or on William as a builder.

Comment

I see that Ernest died of wounds in the great war.. how sad

also his service recs are on Ancestry, gives his NOK as Charles Edward Rowland

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=1543
      Yes, thanks, I have got these and also his CWGC certificate showing he is remembered in Sarigol Military Cemetary. It was sad. His parents had died long before the war so I guess when he reached 19/20, there was nothing stopping him joining it. The whole story of the family is sad really. William was Constance's 3rd husband and she'd perhaps found happiness, then she had her sons but she never saw them grow up and then they all grew up without their parents. One of the sons (Edward) was my Grandad, who never ever mentioned that he'd had any brothers or talked about his parents. I found all this out too late. I think their circumstances in 1901 must have been very difficult - wherever they were, it could not have been a 'normal' life or they would have been recorded for the census like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
        OK thanks for looking. It's really strange that they are just not there.
        It is not unusual - I have been looking for the 1901 census for my great gran for about 8 years.
        I have even viewed the microfilm and gone through all the houses and streets. Her mum died at the same address just before the census and she married the next year, again from the same address.
        I have come to the conclusion that the form was lost, nibbled by mice or she just didn't complete the form.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Hi JES,

Have you considered sending for Constance's death certificate, as her address at death may be where the family were living in 1901. Do you know when William died?
          Last edited by Guest; 19-09-12, 23:28.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
            Hi JES,

Have you considered sending for Constance's death certificate, as her address at death may be where the family were living in 1901. Do you know when William died?
            I've been thinking about it and I really must. You could well be right about a possible address. I don't know definitely when William died, but I have found a possible death record for October 1908 in West Ham. I think he must have died before 1911 as he's not on that census and the sons are all at different addresses and not with him at all. There's been a rumour in the family that he and Constance did die one shortly after the other but no-one can really confirm now.

Comment

Hello,

My gg grandfather spent all his life in the St Pancras area of London,but died in Epsom.

I found him on the 1901 under his initals in an infirmary suffering from nervous agitation, and he was then presumably transferred to Epsom Lunatic Asylum . Cause of death was madness due to syphillis.

NowI am not saying that this is what may have happened to Constance - but London hospitals, workhouses etc did send them out to other districts. Another one of mine was sent from London to Watford and died there.

I would try the 1901 using initals - a long slog since you only have two initals to work with - but you may find them that way.

Good Luck,

bcbrit
              George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

JES

if you are going to get that death cert then please use the 'official' site of the GRO, other sites such as Ancestry charge silly rates for a £9.25 cert, have seen other sites that charge anything between £25-£50 for the same thing!

this is the link you will need, any questions, then please ask :smilee:
                Last edited by Darksecretz; 20-09-12, 08:51.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
                  Hello,

My gg grandfather spent all his life in the St Pancras area of London,but died in Epsom.

I found him on the 1901 under his initals in an infirmary suffering from nervous agitation, and he was then presumably transferred to Epsom Lunatic Asylum . Cause of death was madness due to syphillis.

NowI am not saying that this is what may have happened to Constance - but London hospitals, workhouses etc did send them out to other districts. Another one of mine was sent from London to Watford and died there.

I would try the 1901 using initals - a long slog since you only have two initals to work with - but you may find them that way.

Good Luck,

bcbrit
                  I tried that yesterday for both but no luck as yet

Comment

I had a thought, maybe you could find him in the electoral rolls? it seems his address in 1894 is given as 3, Cornwall Terrace, Tottenham. though I am not quite sure how to find this in the ER's
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

not sure if the right one but there is a William Rowland iving in 34 Welbourne Road Tottenham here in 1899

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=93704043
                        not sure if the right one but there is a William Rowland iving in 34 Welbourne Road Tottenham here in 1899

Now that's interesting Val as, in 1901 34 Welbourne Road was occupied by George Housden and family and they have a boarder named Stephen W Webb. age 18, born Haverill, Suffolk. Webb was Constance's maiden name.
                        Last edited by Guest; 20-09-12, 17:03.

Comment

have you managed to find out if that Steven Webb is related ?

Comment

I had a thought, maybe you could find him in the electoral rolls? it seems his address in 1894 is given as 3, Cornwall Terrace, Tottenham. though I am not quite sure how to find this in the ER's
                            Where did the cornwall terrace info appear please ?

(just a tottenham girl being nosey and never heard of cornwall terrace.

if its any help all tottenham electoral regs can be found at bruce castle museam

give them a ring, they are very helpful and show real interest.

if not i will be happy to nip in and have a bash at the records you might need.
                            Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
                              Hello,

Good Luck,

bcbrit
                              Thank you bcbrit,

Well, it's funny you should say this as I have been thinking the same. Somewhere in some records I have read, it indicated that Constance had been in another institution earlier in her life, before she married William (London Colney I think), but I just can't find where I read it. So what you suggest is quite likely and I'll try that.

I watched Gregg Wallace's WDYTYA and I was spellbound when I heard the story of his GGGM's life and that she'd been in some institutions. I think there are probably similarities with my GGM Constance's life. Out of all my family history, this branch is the most intriguing and interesting. By the age of 24 Constance had had a baby, her first two husbands had died and she had lost her father, so it must have had an effect on her and she could have ended up in an institution and been there in 1901. Thank you for your help. I have never joined a forum before. Someone I know recommended this one and I have been so grateful for everyone's interest and suggestions.

Comment

JES

if you are going to get that death cert then please use the 'official' site of the GRO, other sites such as Ancestry charge silly rates for a £9.25 cert, have seen other sites that charge anything between £25-£50 for the same thing!

this is the link you will need, any questions, then please ask :smilee:
                                http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
                                Thank you Darksecretz, I will do that.

Comment

That's a good idea - hadn't thought of that - thanks

Comment

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=93704043
                                    Thanks for that, very interesting. It could well have been him but I don't know how I can prove it. If it is correct, then Constance isn't there and so could have been in an institution, for example, already - sad, as her youngest son Ernest was only 3.

Comment

have you managed to find out if that Steven Webb is related ?
                                      Thanks, I haven't come across a Steven Webb at all or anyone from Suffolk, but I will have a look for them.

Comment

Originally posted by loltel View Post
                                        Where did the cornwall terrace info appear please ?

(just a tottenham girl being nosey and never heard of cornwall terrace.

if its any help all tottenham electoral regs can be found at bruce castle museam

give them a ring, they are very helpful and show real interest.

if not i will be happy to nip in and have a bash at the records you might need.
                                        Cornwall Terrace is on Edward Charles and Herbert Austin's Baptism record:

I think streets have disappeared over time and I've googled Cornwall Terrace and you're right, there isn't a street named this in Tottenham now.

This website lists lost streets and does have a few for Cornwall Terrace but I don't know which one might have come under Tottenham

Comment

After finding the birth ref in Sept 1882 Risbridge I think this is the Stephen W Webb with his parent s in 1891 if that's any help -
                                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                          X